[FT] Kilmarnock 2 - 1 Rangers (Defoe 12)

5 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Well he's got Tav clear on the right for a flighted pass, Halliday is pulling away from his man onto the left, Jack can come short for a quick pass to feet and back to Worrell again to create space in behind him, McAuley can come to him either taking the pass or drawing the attacker creating even more space for Tav and of course McGregor is clear behind him. He had options, he just wanted too much time and took none of them. 

Would agree with all of that aside from Jack.  From what I remember of the incident Jack did drop deep to take it but was being closely shadowed by a Killie player.  All other options were available and he took none of them.  Just as troubling to me is that after doing so he looked to try to blame others for what was clearly his own mistake.

1 minute ago, craig said:

What you seem to be completely ignoring is that if we have 5 out of the 1st 6 fixtures this year away from home (1 or 2 of them are Cup ties, right ?) then, at some point, we have the same set of fixtures at home.  And, likewise, if Cewltic have 4 out of 5 at home then, at some point, they have the same set of fixtures away from home.

The fixture list evens itself out.. 

Using the fixture list is such a feeble excuse. 

And you ignore what I said about momentum. Right now, the set of fixture will defo harm us, no matter how you paint it. Any excuse for the fixture machine to come up with this then? The Scum haven't got such a problem right now and it is very much open to debate whether we can make up any ground with them happily pulling away due to this fixture stuff. Whether they face a similar schedule or not, they will sure get a headstart now and in 4 weeks time the debate on "our failings" might well reach astronomical porportions ... but hey, "they will get their bad schedule too!" Obviously, we SHOULD win all games, home and away anyway. But we hardly could get it any more difficult right now. And that remains a fact.

Generally, I usually have little time for people telling me stop making "excuses" when they "excuse" any ills that befall us with our shortcomings. That is a clear lack of objectivity. And before any reposte, I clearly stated our shortcomings as well, didn't I? So don't tell me to ignore what I throw into the debate, factors that all contribute to our game and our standing in the league.

Come Sunday, Killie will battle it out with Aberdeen, while the Scum have another easy tie at home to Accies (who lost 3-0 at home to Aberdeen). If all goes awry on Sunday, we'll be 4th in the league even if Killie and Aberdeen draw. All down to our failure to beat Killie and possibly Livingston at their difficult grounds. Yep. Obviously. This will be a long January indeed.

24 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Well he's got Tav clear on the right for a flighted pass, Halliday is pulling away from his man onto the left, Jack can come short for a quick pass to feet and back to Worrell again to create space in behind him, McAuley can come to him either taking the pass or drawing the attacker creating even more space for Tav and of course McGregor is clear behind him. He had options, he just wanted too much time and took none of them. 

I'm not defending/excusing the guy. He screwed up; big time. 

Even going back to the 'keeper or hoofing it long would've been better, but that wasn't my point. 

I was making a wider point -- albeit poorly -- about our general build-up play, which has been poor for a while. 

Steve Clarke and other managers know we are going to try and play it out from the back so just instruct their players to mark all our forward and midfield players and to have one or two others ready to harry our back four. Last night Brophy seemed to perform that harrying role very successfully on his own. McAuley looks very uncomfortable on the ball so it was left to Worrall a lot to try and distribute the ball and he ain't too good either. Need to try punting the ball down the channels as a variation for Kent and Morelos to run onto, not down the middle as Defoe is tiny.

6 minutes ago, les186 said:

McAuley looks very uncomfortable on the ball so it was left to Worrall a lot to try and distribute the ball and he ain't too good either. Need to try punting the ball down the channels as a variation for Kent and Morelos to run onto, not down the middle as Defoe is tiny.

Agree with that. I had high hopes but McAuley looks past it, a good backup but not good enough to start. And agree with the long balls. When we played them it seemed to give us a chance to pen them in and win possession back in very good positions. We didn't have to play long ball early on but it got to a stage where it was needed because as @Rousseau pointed out something wasn't right about our movement and shape further back and to be fair Kilmarnock were marking up very well and were aggressive when anyone took the ball.

3 hours ago, der Berliner said:

And you ignore what I said about momentum. Right now, the set of fixture will defo harm us, no matter how you paint it. Any excuse for the fixture machine to come up with this then? The Scum haven't got such a problem right now and it is very much open to debate whether we can make up any ground with them happily pulling away due to this fixture stuff

Have to say I completely agree with you on this dB. They have been given a clear advantage in scheduling momentum twice this season. Once at the beginning and now at the restart. How often do we hear “points on the board” and “a bird in the hand” and all that from other bears?

It can’t be both ways? Coincidence or not they have a clear momentum building advantage.

2 hours ago, cooponthewing said:

Have to say I completely agree with you on this dB. They have been given a clear advantage in scheduling momentum twice this season. Once at the beginning and now at the restart. How often do we hear “points on the board” and “a bird in the hand” and all that from other bears?

It can’t be both ways? Coincidence or not they have a clear momentum building advantage.

The fixture list evens itself out over the season - if Celtic have a run of 4 games out of 5 at home whilst we have 4 games out of 5 away from home then at some stage of the season that reverses.

Using the fixture list as an excuse is not only feeble but almost Tim-esque.  It's unwarranted paranoia.