[FT] Aberdeen 2 - 4 Rangers (Morelos 20, 38; Tavernier 43pen; Defoe 90+5)

4 minutes ago, Gribz said:

I liked Defoe's finish

That one convinced me he's going to hit a bundle given a run in the team. One quick touch to control it then fires it away with great power and accuracy. All of it so fast.

Great win. Managed to see the second half. Very nervy until a great finish from defoe. 

Mcgregors could have been a foul and a red. In his defence hes not even looking and wins the ball long before. He does have to protect himself. 

On morelos its a yellow all day and the ref totally bottles it. God we need var. 

The wee fellow will be criticised but hes goaded mckenna into kicking him in the face. If the ref does his job its brilliant play. Add that to another two goals and he just keeps getting better. 

I've changed my mind on the Morelos red. I initially agreed with the ref as it seemed he had ran his studs along McKenna's groin, but having looked at the slow motion, it seems that Morelos's leg only moved like that because McKenna had hooked his leg around Morelos's, and therefore it's not a red, and probably not even a yellow. 

Fine margins

Memories of the Motherwell 3-3 game kept flashing through my head during a long last 42 minutes of the second half.

Aberdeen are a better team than Motherwell and now have some decent attacking options compared to the opening day of the season. It looked increasingly like the sheep would equalise and as so often happens, perhaps it was going to happen right at the death....but we also have more attacking options and Defoe provided the clinical finish to yet another assist from our most important creative outlet, Tav.

The referee had a decent game all things considered.

I don't think Morelos will have any joy appealing the red but it's worth a go.

McGregor was protecting himself, a goalies prerogative in the unwritten laws of the game but one that in time VAR might reduce at the top level. Any argument that says McGregor should have saw red could be leveled with Ferguson's kick at McGregor also a red.

Bottomline,....we won the battle up in sheepland.

Vital 3 points and an important psychological win.

1 hour ago, Bluedell said:

I've changed my mind on the Morelos red. I initially agreed with the ref as it seemed he had ran his studs along McKenna's groin, but having looked at the slow motion, it seems that Morelos's leg only moved like that because McKenna had hooked his leg around Morelos's, and therefore it's not a red, and probably not even a yellow. 

I didn't think he did anything wrong at the time, when McKenna fell he raised his feet/legs and as you say hooked Morelos legs on the way up to kick him in the face