The Spring & Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

1 minute ago, DMAA said:

Yes but the point made is really that Rangers can't risk playing these youngsters because we demand the highest standards whereas at Motherwell and Hearts it doesn't matter. This argument doesn't stand up scrutiny because those clubs take a big risk playing youngsters in tight and tough games where there is a lot to lose. Motherwell were 9th and not far off the play-off spot when they started playing Turnbull and Hastie. They are never cruising at 3-4 nil up with half an hour to play like we are. The point about regular first team football does apply of course but it's not true that it's harder for us to give them chances to play.

The issue is one of resources.  We have more resources so are not forced to blood youngsters at the same rate.  Celtic aside, and to varying degrees, every other club in the country faces the same issue.

Regarding the above, I probably didn`t make it clear enough that at places like Killie or Motherwell they simply have to play these younger players more often and muich earlier than we do at Rangers, as they essentially have no choice due to lack of funds and money. And - as in days gone by - these clubs rely on Rangers et al to buy those who show talent and promise for hard money. It is a business model and like it or not, as has been noted above, we will have to fit in there too, e.g. Morelos.

I'm excited about the forthcoming season since the team appears to be being strengthened in all the areas most of us would have complained about. With that in mind I expect even more impressive performances and just as importantly consistently.

I also feel that holding on to Tavernier for one more year is essential because he would likely be irreplaceable no matter how much we got and this season is too important to put ourselves in that position.

All in all I tend to get the feeling that the momentum has shifted in our favour (marginal gains?) and even the media are grudgingly drifting into that frame of mind along with the bookies. We're currently 12/5 for the title and that's miserly pricing in comparison to the past few years.

We played some brilliant football for significant periods last term sprinkled with the inconsistencies which as often as not popped up against teams we really should be beating. If that deficiency can be resolved that all alone would likely put us in a commanding position for a title run.

Much will depend on what the yahoos do but as it stands they don't look to be in any frame of mind to up the ante. If they were they should have been pushing the boat out to secure a top young Scottish talent like Turnbull who was pretty much guaranteed to recover the transfer outlay and wages on his next transfer. Yet just like with McGinn they let it fall apart due to apparent penny pinching.

One reason Gerrard wont leave anytime soon is that he too senses the shifting momentum as will Tavernier who may be reluctant to make his last big move at this time when we could be on the verge of something special. I view the hiring of Warburton for the second Championship season as the point the rebuild began. Tav has been in there since that time and could feel he has to stay at least one more season to take this journey to it's ultimate conclusion.

Gerrard came to Rangers to prove a point, to prove that he can manage at a high profile side and he wont be leaving till he's proven that by winning something. Ideally bringing the yahoo title dreams to a halt which even in England would be seen as a remarkable achievement given the state of affairs when he took over.

If he can take that title this season I suspect his stock would rise even higher than that of Lampard who is allegedly being offered the managers seat at one of the biggest clubs in the EPL. If Gerrard can pull off a title win at a time when the yahoos are seen to have the upper hand both financially and squad wise he will have done his Liverpool ambitions no harm at all.

I expect an exciting season with some sparkling football surpassing even the impressive displays of last term. This may be the best remaining chance to stop them. If they got a sight of 10 iar then they might indeed go ahead and pull out all the stops. 

Scottish Premiership giants Rangers are reportedly set to sign Oldham defender George Edmundson and Charlton Athletic ace Joe Aribo.

It is never a quiet summer at Ibrox and 2019 is shaping up to be no different.

Rangers have already completed five new signings with Jordan Jones, Jake Hastie, Sheyi Ojo and Greg Stewart heading to Glasgow. Steven Davis, meanwhile, has joined on a permanent basis after a loan spell from Southampton.

And it seems that signings num

According to The Mail, Rangers are on the verge of signing coveted Oldham Athletic defender George Edmundson for £650,000. Steven Gerrard’s side have fought off competition from Peterborough and Portsmouth for the 21-year-old, who will have a medical this week.

Edmundson will be joined north of the border by Joe Aribo, the talented Charlton Athletic midfielder.

The Standard claims that he will tell manager Lee Bowyer of his intention to leave during a meeting on Friday with Rangers expected to pay just £250,000 in compensation for a player whose contract expires at the end of the month.

That means Rangers are set to sign two of the most promising and in-demand young players in England for less than £1 million. And director of football Mark Allen would deserve huge credit for his role in landing two hugely exciting prospects who should get better and better under Gerrard at Ibrox.

Rangers fans wanted their side to spend big in the transfer market in order to announce their intention to fight for the title. But Allen is showing again and again that there is value out there if you look hard enough.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/06/20/allen-would-deserve-huge-credit-if-rangers-land-edmundson-and-ar/

Some of the points being made here are reminiscent of Alan Hansen's famous dictum that "You win nothing with kids" which theory was then promptly demolished by Sir Fergie winning the title with the Beckham, Giggs, Scholes school .Ok I know they were exceptional but it's something to aspire to. When I hear phrases like 'monetise' and 'trading commodity' it makes my flesh creep; I don't want to support a balance sheet, but a living, breathing organic whole with which I can identify.

6 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Edmundson - a young English centre half of good physique from a lower league team, well thought of by their supporters.

Or wait. Was that not Worrall?

Don't be too cynical: Worrall was only on loan. What I wish to know is if Edmundson is left-sided to complement Goldson.