[FT] Kilmarnock 1 - 2 Rangers (Arfield 16; Goldson 90+1)

We made a tactical switch in that game about ten minutes before half time. It was the same change we made against Progres and Blackburn and I don't like it. 

We were completely dominating the midfield thanks to the movement of the 3.  Tav then is either told to, or decides to play 20 to 30 yards further forward, meaning that Jack then sits in as the right back.  This is fine now and again but staying like this gives them the advantage in the middle of the park and it allowed them to dominate us.  This surely can't be the best use of our creative players, and  makes us fragile.  This was a warning today and we need to maintain our shape.  I'd like to know if this is the management's decision  or if this is just Tav trying to do the right thing by pushing forward but not realising the consequences.  Jack was the playmaker in the first half and turned into Tav's safety net by the end of the half.  What a waste!!!

Let’s not be fooled by the last minute winner here, that was a terrible performance & worryingly suggests Gerrard has learned nothing from last season. Which means that we continue to sit in on a 1-0 lead against teams who are there for the taking, only switching into attack when they equalise. Lets not kid on that is a game we would have lost last year, We’ll drop plenty more points using the same failed tactics as we did last year. Every move breaks down when it gets to Arfield, Aribo is being played too deep alongside spongebob square pass, Ojo is a downgrade on Kent, Tavernier can’t function without Candeias & Davis doesn’t have the legs for our midfield any more! How did he get MOTM off of Sky I’ll never know!

2 minutes ago, 917 said:

Let’s not be fooled by the last minute winner here, that was a terrible performance & worryingly suggests Gerrard has learned nothing from last season. Which means that we continue to sit in on a 1-0 lead against teams who are there for the taking, only switching into attack when they equalise. Lets not kid on that is a game we would have lost last year, We’ll drop plenty more points using the same failed tactics as we did last year. Every move breaks down when it gets to Arfield, Aribo is being played too deep alongside spongebob square pass, Ojo is a downgrade on Kent, Tavernier can’t function without Candeias & Davis doesn’t have the legs for our midfield any more! How did he get MOTM off of Sky I’ll never know!

I was gutted when I hear Candeias was going. We already have missed his work rate imo

1 hour ago, Frankie said:

That was incredibly poor today and the manager has to address the lack of urgency in the last two games.

Once or twice we were playing the ball in wee circles at walking pace, when we should have been countering quickly.  Completely unacceptable lack of responsibility from key players as well.

Didn't help that Tav, Davis and Arfield were so poor but surely other players can step up but, no we played the ball backwards to Goldson far, far too often which then resulted in a punt for us to lose the ball anyway.  Awful.

Fortunately, we did show good character in the last five mins but that's a tiny positive from a performance that should see Gerrard call it for what it was.

At times we were clueless. 

5 minutes ago, 917 said:

Let's calm down. Is it the current way of the world that everything has to be so reactionary and judged a game by game basis? It's game day 1. We got 3pts. This time last year we played great with 10 men and came away with 1pt. Performances will get better. Let's keep putting points on the board and make sure we are not chasing the Tims when the turn up at Ibrox. 

Arfield has been poor the last few games and as I said on post 1 Docherty was a better option. Alfie gave their defence a hell of a time but he unfortunately switched off at their goal and let OÇonner walk away from him. Tav has also been very poor this season. Goldson had his usual bomb-scare moments but I suppose his goal forgives him.  The game passed Ojo pretty much by but I thought Aribo was good and is a fantastic find for the price.

as prett