The Winter 2019/20 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

2 hours ago, stewarty said:

I think the last three games have highlighted the drop in quality should we be missing some of our first picks

That's exactly right. IMO our strongest 11 is McGregor, Tavernier, Goldson, Helander, Barisic, Jack, Kamara, Davis, Kent, Aribo, Morelos.

We've been missing big players every time we've dropped points this season.

1. Barisic, Kent and Helander didn't play vs Celtic at Ibrox.

2. Barisic was a big miss in the draw at Pittodrie and Kamara didn't play in that one either.

3. Jack, Kent and Helander didn't play at Tynecastle in September

4. Of course yesterday was the worst by a distance with Morelos, Tavernier, Jack (45 mins) and Helander missing.

I don't think we need to panic because Morelos is back and Tavernier won't be long. Helander will return in another few weeks and when fully fit will, IMO, be preferred to Katic again.

However, lack of quality on the bench is still concerning. I've said for a while now that my biggest worry this season is injuries and suspensions because I think our strongest 11 could definitely do it. If we get 1 player in I think it should be in the inside forward position because an injury to Kent or Aribo could be very damaging.

Edited by DMAA

2 hours ago, Stevie - 4lads Blog said:

We aren’t looking at that type of player

We need and want an attacking midfielder but people need to be realistic 

We have a £10m shortfall which the board are covering this year, we aren’t spending what we don’t have 

We will get one in but I expect a loan or small deal unless the board self fund & that’s a huge ask & goes against previous statements of ‘ad hoc cheque writing’ is over 

We will move this week (an informed opinion) but I am realistic in our possibilities 

Great.

Doesn't need to be a world beater but does need to offer something different.

4 hours ago, DMAA said:

That's exactly right. IMO our strongest 11 is McGregor, Tavernier, Goldson, Helander, Barisic, Jack, Kamara, Davis, Kent, Aribo, Morelos.

We've been missing big players every time we've dropped points this season.

1. Barisic, Kent and Helander didn't play vs Celtic at Ibrox.

2. Barisic was a big miss in the draw at Pittodrie and Kamara didn't play in that one either.

3. Jack, Kent and Helander didn't play at Tynecastle in September

4. Of course yesterday was the worst by a distance with Morelos, Tavernier, Jack (45 mins) and Helander missing.

I don't think Helander replacing Katic makes that much of a difference.

The biggest problem against Celtic at Ibrox was not playing Morelos from the start, although there were lots of team selection issues that day, including playing Aribo in a more attacking role.

31 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

I don't think Helander replacing Katic makes that much of a difference.

The biggest problem against Celtic at Ibrox was not playing Morelos from the start, although there were lots of team selection issues that day, including playing Aribo in a more attacking role.

I would actually go as far as saying I would prefer Katic to Helander anyway.  Katic is more physical than either Helander or Goldson and is an actual threat at attacking set plays as well.

But I definitely agree, that replacement makes little difference because Katic has done well since coming back in.

Morelos is clearly the big miss.  But perhaps now the Tav "haters" will also see just how unbalanced we are as an attacking threat when he isn't available.  Hearts closed down Barisic and barely made the effort to do the same to Flanagan because he offers so little going forward.

4 minutes ago, craig said:

I would actually go as far as saying I would prefer Katic to Helander anyway.  Katic is more physical than either Helander or Goldson and is an actual threat at attacking set plays as well.

But I definitely agree, that replacement makes little difference because Katic has done well since coming back in.

Morelos is clearly the big miss.  But perhaps now the Tav "haters" will also see just how unbalanced we are as an attacking threat when he isn't available.  Hearts closed down Barisic and barely made the effort to do the same to Flanagan because he offers so little going forward.

Are there's such people as Tav haters? I know he got some stick earlier in the season for some very high profile mistakes but surely that doesn't even go close to cancelling out the good stuff he brings to the team? 

32 minutes ago, craig said:

Are there really any "Tav haters"? I've never come across one.

1 hour ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Are there's such people as Tav haters? I know he got some stick earlier in the season for some very high profile mistakes but surely that doesn't even go close to cancelling out the good stuff he brings to the team? 

Yes, yes there are.

1 hour ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

You would think not.  But social media, particularly Twitter, is a weird and not-so-wonderful place.

3 hours ago, craig said:

I agree, Katic offers us more than Helander.  Helander is dreadfully slow for a young man.  Katic will also score more goals and dominates the box more.