[FT] Livingston 0 - 0 Rangers

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

Having two strikers to hold the ball up and get us further up the field in games like that is very important IMO. It makes it easier to find a forward pass too because you have more to aim at. 

We had absolutely no issue “getting further up the field” yesterday because Livvy willingly gave up territory.

8 minutes ago, craig said:

We had absolutely no issue “getting further up the field” yesterday because Livvy willingly gave up territory.

Of course, they parked the bus, but how often did we have the ball in and around the box? It’s a matter of opinion but I think it would be easier to create chances with two strikers to aim for and to help each other out in and around the box. 

6 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

Ask the management and coaching staff.

They will tell you that the tactics change all the time.

Could it be that it just looks the same to you?

Tactics did not change...you know why? Kamara and Jack were still on that field...their ball movement was exactly the same...through the same people...there was no shift in attacking personnel forward...Have you seen a CAM? Have you seen two Attackers?

Ain't nothing changin but the time son. And that time is runnin out me feels.

That's alright...I am gonna let this horse be dead for now.

It's alright saying shoot from distance but even the it will be like pinball bouncing off the sardine defence and only luck getting on target.

Set pieces looked our best chance but we were denied by poor refereeing and cute defending.

50 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

It's alright saying shoot from distance but even the it will be like pinball bouncing off the sardine defence and only luck getting on target.

Set pieces looked our best chance but we were denied by poor refereeing and cute defending.

A couple of times we took short corners too which I didnt really get. Surely take every chance to get it in the box

5 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

A few long balls once in a while wouldn't hurt.  

When the clock was ticking away fast at the end, we had essentialy 2 striker in Roofe and Itten up front and were raining crosses and shot in from all angles. Granted, Livi were tiring, but we had more chances and more chaos in their area than the 90 before.

It would do no harm to at least test a 4-4-2 with but one DM but 2 real wingers to hit the line and rain crosses into an area occupied by 2 strikers. With our fullbacks in support more often than not, it would sure create a more attacking threat than what we see now, as the main striker as well as any inside left / right is well covered by one or more defenders. Said inside left / right guys are far too often out of position to establish a good link with the respective full-backs. Likewise, what good it is to have 60 - 80 % of possession each game, but that possession is mainly our CHs and DMs? They don't hurt the opposition and the latter know it.

2 hours ago, MacK1950 said:

I think that's the point though, the game was so stale and stagnant that it needed shots from distance or crosses to inject that piece of randomness.  You can call it luck but really what it is is creating uncertainty for Livingston in their box.

8 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

It's amazing how many long balls the Champions of England hit to Make, Salah and Firminho.

1 minute ago, der Berliner said:

I actually don't know whether that's irony, but these three don't face up to 7-9-man defences every other week.

You're both correct, I think.

It's not long balls to a target man, though, is it? Cross diagonals are common (we do attempt that from time to time), and balls in behind (in behind for us is the byline!). 

I don't like long balls into a target man, but I do think we should be attempting long diagonals, long passes into feet, and perhaps into the channel when applicable.