[FT] St Mirren 0 - 2 Rangers (Roofe 27; Morelos 33)

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

Only got to listen to most of the game today so I’m still to see it. But that is now 5 goal contributions for Hagi in 4 games/3 starts (including his shot which was spilled for Roofe to score). These last four games have been very difficult games where we haven’t been at our best and goals and assists haven’t been as easy to come by as at other times of the season and he has still delivered consistently with contributions that have directly resulted in a goal. That’s is the attacking midfielders job, first and foremost. Hopefully he keeps his place for Celtic. 

I'll be shocked if Hagi starts against Celtic. I reckon Gerrard will bring Kent back in as he does more off the ball and perhaps he thinks that the team is more balanced when Kent plays.

It seems that each season we start strongly until we have played just about everyone twice, and by then a combination of us running out of steam and our opponents working out how best to play us has resulted in our second half of the season slide. 

Our high intensity style, with high and focused pressing and a huge amount of off the ball movement does seem to have taken its toll by about this time of year in each of the 3 seasons under SG. The big difference this year is our deeper squad and a bit more ruthlessness and hunger to get results, and a far more resolute defence. Hopefully that is going to be enough.

If we can keep this momentum going with victories throughout January, the league will be done and we can cruise the final few games, with the finishing line and a healthy lead giving our players that extra adrenaline to keep going, whereas in the last 2 years a couple of bad results knocked the confidence and stamina out of us.

The big worry is that a defeat on Saturday will see us resort to type and lose our way, dropping a number of points in a short space of time. The history of the past 2 years paints a very sobering picture that we have to learn from and not repeat.

Anyone can see we have a better team than them, we just need to play to our maximum and that will be enough. As always, the first goal will be crucial.

Hats off to the team for getting over the Paisley defeat and putting together 3 more league wins on the bounce.

If we were only at K2 Base Camp 2/3 weeks ago, now after the December fixtures negotiated successfully, we've reached Camp 1 (of 4) on the way up to the summit. It's possible to get to Camp 2 in just 90 minutes but it is the most difficult part of the climb and the weather is unpredictable.

As others have suggested, we are going to have to up performance levels on Saturday from what we've been producing in recent weeks, in what has in the main been a league performance blip (rather than results). When it comes to defending, we are missing Ryan Jack but haven't really been punished as yet. I think we have to go for the throat, look to take the initiative early, rather than the now customary slow start that builds into a head of steam 15-20 minutes in. If we allow them to take the initiative, they have the players to take advantage and I think we would struggle to turn it round. 

SG&Co have had their fingers burnt in this fixture when taking a conservative approach. He'll know what we have to do and it'll be down to the players to go to the well once again and put in one of those performance levels you reach, only a few times a season.

Difficult to overstate the importance of this game.

10 hours ago, Bluedell said:

I'll be shocked if Hagi starts against Celtic. I reckon Gerrard will bring Kent back in as he does more off the ball and perhaps he thinks that the team is more balanced when Kent plays.

Agreed - I just mentioned Kent always does well against them so he will start.