The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

59 minutes ago, CammyF said:

Well we must be in deeper shit than we imagine. Record season ticket sales, merch, EL money (ticket sales, hospitality, TV, UEFA money etc), money from Patterson sale, compensation for SG and his team. 

Are you suggesting that if we hadn't gotten to EL Final we'd be turning off the lights? 

Worrying if true....

I’m not suggesting that at all but I don’t see us being net spenders in this transfer window. We will buy only if and when we sell. 
this current squad got us to the EL final last season. They must be doing something right 😎

Edited by RANGERRAB

57 minutes ago, CammyF said:

The squad is weaker than it was when the season finished,

I'm not sure I agree with that. 

57 minutes ago, CammyF said:

our only signing is injured

Where are you seeing that?  

58 minutes ago, CammyF said:

We have no wide right attacking players / options

Scott Wright, Aribo, Roofe and Sakala can all play the wider right attack role.  

59 minutes ago, CammyF said:

it appears we are not buying before selling

That's guesswork.

13 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

The m not suggesting that at all but I don’t see us being net spenders in this transfer window. We will buy only if and when we sell. 
this current squad got us to the EL final last season. They must be doing something right 😎

But we can only sell if we receive bids for our players. Who is going to offer big fees for players entering the final year of their contract? 

Aribo has a £10M clause in his contract, so that's as much as we'll get for him. Alfie is recovering from a serious injury so that will affect any fee we get for him and Kent cost £7.5M so we will struggle to make much profit there. 

If we don't sell those 3 this season they walk for nothing  - it's as close to a shambles as you can get. 

12 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I'm not sure I agree with that. 

Where are you seeing that?  

Scott Wright, Aribo, Roofe and Sakala can all play the wider right attack role.  

That's guesswork.

Soutar pulled out of the Scotland squad as he was injured. 

The players you mention as wide right options are average at best, or trying to fit square pegs into round holes. 

Souttar wasn't injured, according to reports.  He was left out of the Scotland squad as a precautionary measure.

We have needed a good right sided attacker for a while.  

25 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

Correct but weren't good enough to win a two horse race with a 10 point start. 

8 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

I’d suggest our current finances mean we can’t buy before selling

Finances would seem to be the obvious thing holding us back and the market in general.

I think we are at the point where the running at a loss is no longer considered as a necessary evil, but something to avoid because it will drain further funds through (higher) interest payments.

Also new UEFA financial guidelines that clubs will apparently have to follow look to be difficult for us to comply with if you think of historic performance. 

The new regulations will see clubs subject to squad cost controls for the first time. The cost control rule restricts spending on player and coach wages, transfers, and agent fees to 70% of club revenues. (The gradual implementation will see the percentage at 90% in 2023/2024, 80% in 2024/2025, and 70% in 2025/2026). This requirement provides a direct measure between squad costs and income to encourage more performance-related costs and to limit the market inflation of wages and transfer costs of players.

Full details (includes much more than above)

https://www.uefa.com/returntoplay/news/0274-14da0ce4535d-fa5b130ae9b6-1000--explainer-uefa-s-new-financial-sustainability-regulations/

The current influx of talented youth might mark an important change in the way we go about things. A 17 year old coming in today will be 20 by the time cost control % goes to 70.

It would also show a probable ambition to bring the squad average down, with a view to the player trading model and look to have more 'homegrown' bodies available for the European competition squad.

We can't continue the way we have been operating, it isn't an option.

11 hours ago, CammyF said:

Correct but weren't good enough to win a two horse race with a 10 point start. 

We never had a 10 point start and no one has of late managed to make the EL final and win the league. It very much looks to be a step too far to do so.