25 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

I don't think I'm going to be able to get over the fact he said it's impossible for us to compete against CL teams. He's saying things out loud that we all know shouldn't be said by a manager. He's accepted the fate of defeat in the next 5 games. Not a wonder the players aren't trying their arse, he's already said we have no chance.

We could actually compete in and lose the next 5 games. Competing and winning don't go hand in hand. 

Competing is the least we should expect  - anything else is a bonus. 

I've never been totally sold on gio but I was prepared to give him a chance.  The europa run should have bought him more  time but   Not now though.    Continually doing the same thing time after time expecting different results and shitting it in big games has become the norm.  Backing players who don't bring anything to the party too.  Kent kamara and Davis's stats are appalling when it comes to goals and assists and it's no surprise that we struggle given the game time they get.   Resigning the likes of goldson is beyond belief.   We're in a bloody mess and we'll have to strip that team bare and start again.   It certainly looks like gio has lost the players and after tonight he's lost the fans.   We're an embarrassment.   As for the board they need to take a good look at them selves.  The signing policy given the money coming in has been a joke.  Poor governance all round.   

I won't be surprised if Kevin Thompson is the interim manager in a few weeks.

SG arrived in 2018 and was allowed to build his team/squad over several seasons.

We did progressively well in Europe and eventually won the League in his third year in charge.

We didn't build on that success and develop the team/squad as SG wanted.

The budget within a harsh economic enviroment (pandemic) was limited.

Could we have made more of an effort to wheel and deal (ie. sell then buy) ?

Would it have been cheaper to do so than let it get to this stage ? Hindsight but probably.

So the team pretty much stayed the same into a 4th year which should have been a year of consolidation as Champions (given state of Celtic and their bad start) and automatic qualification into CL.

Gio was appointed after SG left in the Autumn and started well.

The same team blew the league, just as they habitually blow the league, post winter break.

They could still get motivated for Europe and got to a European Final.

Many assumed a summer of rebuild that Gio would bring in players that suited his way of playing.

Freshen things up, time to call a day on some Rangers careers.

No, it didn't happen.

This isn't hindsight, said it months ago...

We have continued with broadly the same team and it has become stale.

We have forced this by allowing the squad to become  a home for too many old and chronically injured footballers. 

We have poured fire on it by signing the likes of the injury prone John Souttar, who is injured.

Having an unbalanced and semi-effective squad will be a challenge to change, in more ways than one.

We also have a manager and coaching team who have shown themselves to be occasionally brilliant but generally, insiped, uninspiring and unable to find solutions.

Communication between squad and mgmt doesn't seem to be working as it should.

Despite what the manager says about what they do in training, not learning from the mistakes. It has become a pattern and now is accompanied by a lack of desire, hunger and energy. A bad mix, that tends to lead to the manager being changed.

Can a new manager come in and do better with the same squad ?

In the short term, yes.....not difficult really (see when Gio arrived)

But medium to long term, same problems will emerge until the squad is purged and SG's team is moved on.

One last point, those in charge of the football operation should have seen this coming and acted accordingly.

Having slept on it and calmed down I'm thinking a bit more rationally about things now...

I'd be doing everything possible to get Sean Dyche in.

We have 5 CL games left, I think that's quite a carrot. I feel bad for Gio but he just comes across as passionless.

8 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

We have 5 CL games left, I think that's quite a carrot. 

Given circumstances, not so sure it would be seen as a carrot 

The problems with the squad,  time until next window opens and limited finance will mean the job won't be as attractive a proposition as we think. At least for sought after managers 

They often prefer taking over in the summer. Eg. Murty/Nichol/Gerrard

Edited by buster.

28 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

Having slept on it and calmed down I'm thinking a bit more rationally about things now...

We have 5 CL games left, I think that's quite a carrot. I feel bad for Gio but he just comes across as passionless.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

11 hours ago, CammyF said:

We could actually compete in and lose the next 5 games. Competing and winning don't go hand in hand. 

Competing is the least we should expect  - anything else is a bonus. 

That was the most galling thing for me about last night, the lack of effort. The stats BT put up about the km run were damning