Confirmed: Michael Beale named Rangers manager

2 hours ago, CammyF said:

After the razzmatazz of the Souness arrival, replacing him with Smith was "underwhelming" but as history shows, was the correct decision.

You'd think we might eventually learn from these previous mistakes.

2 hours ago, CammyF said:

People are free to feel underwhelmed, excited, non-plused, over-the-moon at Beales appointment - however their feelings will have no impact on how successful (or otherwsie) Beale may be.

What is it with these continual assertions of rights and freedoms that no one has ever challenged. Everyone should indeed be free to be futile.

7 hours ago, CammyF said:

I think people can feel underwhelmed before a manager has been in the job for a certain time. 

I'm sure if there were Internet forums when Walter Smith took over from Graeme Souness, many Ramgers fans would have been "underwhelmed" by Walter's appointment.

After the razzmatazz of the Souness arrival, replacing him with Smith was "underwhelming" but as history shows, was the correct decision.

People are free to feel underwhelmed, excited, non-plused, over-the-moon at Beales appointment - however their feelings will have no impact on how successful (or otherwsie) Beale may be.

The feeling of the fans will be integral to Beale's longevity as a Rangers manager, as Gio found out.

The direction we have to take will be more down to finance, than to the new manager.

If Michael Beale and the board are on the very same page regards direction of travel, then it has a better chance of working. Presuming that to be the case (very hypothetical), if the club can successfully communicate this to the support and have expectation levels at a realistic level (very optimistic), it might mitigate teething problems turning into something worse.

There is an AGM in a weeks time, someone has to show some leadership.

Edited by buster.

51 minutes ago, buster. said:

The direction we have to take will be more down to finance, than to the new manager.

If Michael Beale and the board are on the very same page regards direction of travel, then it has a better chance of working. Presuming that to be the case (very hypothetical), if the club can successfully communicate this to the support and have expectation levels at a realistic level (very optimistic), it might mitigate teething problems turning into something worse.

There is an AGM in a weeks time, someone has to show some leadership.

What a load of rubbish.

Welcome back to Rangers, Michael Beale. Very excited to see what he can do as manager this time where he can implement his own ideas and utilise his own staff which offers a positive mix of contemporary ideas alongside experience. There's certainly plenty work to be done.

In that sense, a few bonus weeks working with the squad should be a big help: improving fitness, increasing morale and deciding individual futures all short term priorities with a view to initial squad changes for January. Beale will certainly be a busy man through December.

With matches v Hibs, Aberdeen and Celtic in his first five games then two tricky cup ties in January, Beale could not have asked for a more difficult first six weeks in the job. The league may be beyond us but fans will expect improvement. The cup games will offer an early barometer.

Finally, many fans suggest this was a lazy appointment. I understand that but he was arguably the most obvious choice given the candidates available. Correct doesn't necessarily mean lazy. As always, there are no guarantees but Beale must hit the ground running. Good luck, Mick!

1 hour ago, ranger_syntax said:

What a load of rubbish.

It reads fairly reasonable to me.  Instead of the gratuitous one-line dig, why not flesh out where he's wrong?

Beale may or may not have been brought in to get more out of the current squad. But he'll also need to deliver changes with various players expected to leave over the next 6-9 months.  In that sense, he'll need financial backing from the board and fans will need to be realistic in what they expect should we indeed undergo wholescale changes in the playing squad.

As such, it would certainly be agreeable for the board to communicate that and at least attempt to get everyone on the same page. If not, then we could easily be back to mutiny this time in January should results not improve. I'd suggest getting ahead of the curve may allow for a bit more goodwill and patience.

Unrealistic and somewhat naiive to expect board clarity and fan patience to go hand in hand maybe but certainly not rubbish.

12 hours ago, Bill said:

Well that sounds reasonable enough .... especially if you've been on Rangers forums for all of (shout it) SIX YEARS. Except there's nothing "measured" about the sort of criticism being spouted about Beale and if there's any mocking being done it's probably not the optimists among us who are doing it. 

A bit snide there Bill, the reason for mentioning it was that there have been so many false dawns in that time, not to

emphasise how long I’ve been at it. Which is just as well because I’ve just checked and I’m actually only coming up for 5 😆

Nothing wrong with calling out over the top criticism but I haven’t seen that on here. I think everyone on here will fully back Beale and give him time. 

2 hours ago, buster. said:

A good manager can get the best out of players.  

The club aren't going to spend much, so Beale will largely have to work with he's got and we'll have to hope the wheeling and dealing improves, as well as the injury list.