The Summer 2023 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

3 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

I think we’ll need to bring in a couple of strikers. Alfie’s gone & Roofe simply isn’t available often enough 

Either Kevin Nisbet or Shankland would make sense. Probably Nisbet as he’s more readily available with just one year left in his contract.

Neither are anywhere near what we need

Daily Record Twitter

Cyriel Dessers wanted for Rangers transfer but Cremonese play hardball after seven figure bid

The striker could be sold by the Italian side after they were relegated to Serie B.

Rangers have made their move to sign Cremonese striker Cyriel Dessers.

The Light Blues have tabled a significant seven figure bid for the Nigerian international. Their opening bid was turned down but Rangers remain in talks to see if a deal can be struck. Cremonese have just been relegated to Serie B but they are determined to try and recoup as much of the £6 million that they paid Genk to sign him last summer.

The 28-year-old netted three goals in three games for Genk at the start of the season and that prompted Cremonese to make their move. Dessers netted seven goals for Cremonese as they struggled badly in their one campaign in Serie A. The Belgian-born frontman, like Los Angeles FC midfielder Jose Cifuentes, has been a long-term transfer for Rangers. Michael Beale is pushing to get a deal done as he looks to bring in a replacement for the recently departed Alfredo Morelos.

Viktor Gyokeres in Rangers transfer mission impossible as Michael Beale 'admiration' stumped by big bucks hurdle

Beale has admitted a lot of his summer funds will need to go on a striker and Dessers is very much on his wanted list. He came through at OH Leuven and Lokeren but it was in Holland where he started to hit the goal trail Dessers has successful spells with NAC Breda, Utrecht and Heracles Almelo - where he finished joint top scorer in the Eredivisie.

The experienced forward moved on to Genk in 2020 and last year had a loan at Feyenoord before he returned to Belgium. Dessers was a teammate of Scotland cap Jack Hendry when he was on loan at Cremonese in the first half of the season.

Rangers have already confirmed deals for Kieran Dowell and Dujon Sterling. They are also still working on moves for Jack Butland and Cifuentes. Swansea’s Morgan Whittaker and Nottingham Forest defender Jonathan Panzo are two options that Beale is also in talks over.

Dessers is an interesting rumour.

At 28 he's not a project but someone experienced and talented enough to go straight into the starting XI. Alongside the acquisition of another younger striker to bring genuine competition for places and, well, more goals than we scored this season I'd be happy.

16 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Dessers is an interesting rumour.

At 28 he's not a project but someone experienced and talented enough to go straight into the starting XI. Alongside the acquisition of another younger striker to bring genuine competition for places and, well, more goals than we scored this season I'd be happy.

There’s still Colak too. I wouldn’t be opposed to one big signing up front, with a wide forward who can also play up front in emergencies (like they have with Abada). A young striker as 3rd choice would be better but I’m sure it’s practical for us. 

52 minutes ago, DMAA said:

There’s still Colak too. I wouldn’t be opposed to one big signing up front, with a wide forward who can also play up front in emergencies (like they have with Abada). A young striker as 3rd choice would be better but I’m sure it’s practical for us. 

Have to admit, I'm still not sure about Colak. No doubt he can score goals and I think his overall play was improving just before he got injured but the fact he then disappeared for pretty much the rest of the season means I think I'd rather move him on if possible.

We really need 2-3 strikers capable of contributing and competing with each other. We relied on Morelos for too long and whilst Roofe is undoubtedly a good player he's completely unreliable.  Sakala is useful but perhaps best as a wide forward; not a first choice striker.

14 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Have to admit, I'm still not sure about Colak. No doubt he can score goals and I think his overall play was improving just before he got injured but the fact he then disappeared for pretty much the rest of the season means I think I'd rather move him on if possible.

We really need 2-3 strikers capable of contributing and competing with each other. We relied on Morelos for too long and whilst Roofe is undoubtedly a good player he's completely unreliable.  Sakala is useful but perhaps best as a wide forward; not a first choice striker.

I think Beale coming in didn’t help him. Beale knew Morelos’ game inside out and how he fits into his system. If GVB had stayed, Colak would probably have returned to being first choice. As it happened, one injury ruined his season. For me, Colak is ideal as a number 2, because he’s a reliable goalscorer.

I’ve defended Sakala because he’s here and out of the players available, he's often been one of the better options. His pace and goalscoring ability give us something different. But we absolutely need better than Sakala.

I for one wouldn't mind Shankland, as he's certainly a finisher and proven scorer in Scotland ... where we have to earn our corn. I would likewise prefer him to play alongside another striker though, be it Colak or another centre-forward. Sakala should stay on either "wing"/left-right-sided-attack-slot/however you want to call it. Hearts will sure want some hard cash, but 3-4m should be enough. So far, we have done well in the free-transfer market and there are enough strikers at the end of their contracts too, this list is just the 23-30 year old age bracket. Still, someone who knows the way about in Scotland might be a reasonable shout.