[FT] Rangers 2 (Tavernier 6pen; Dessers 15) - 1 Servette

1 minute ago, weebluedevil said:

That's it, Servette through to face the Famous!!!

Does that guarantee them Europa? I don't know their history so maybe that would be big for them - otherwise I thought the celebrations were a bit wild to get to the 3rd round of qualifying.

Still, I think them playing 90+ with 10 men does us a favour.

9 minutes ago, yuddie said:

Does that guarantee them Europa? I don't know their history so maybe that would be big for them - otherwise I thought the celebrations were a bit wild to get to the 3rd round of qualifying.

Still, I think them playing 90+ with 10 men does us a favour.

Good question, I think not. However, after winning after playing a full 115mins with 10 men, they deserve to celebrate like that. 

3 minutes ago, weebluedevil said:

Good question, I think not. However, after winning after playing a full 115mins with 10 men, they deserve to celebrate like that. 

Thanks for the evening’s information, wbd.

Will Servette be quaking in their shoes at the thought of the Famous?

2 minutes ago, BEARGER said:
Match stats
Genk
TEAM STATS
Servette
33 Shots 8
14 Shots on target 4
74% Possession 26%
725 Passes 273
86% Pass accuracy 63%
20 Fouls 13
2 Yellow cards 6
0 Red cards 1
2 Offsides 3
11 Corners 0

That's hilarious. It didn't seem that much of a battering watching it though.

I'd love to see the xG for the two sides.

3 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Thanks for the evening’s information, wbd.

Will Servette be quaking in their shoes at the thought of the Famous?

I didn't see the first leg, but on tonight's showing, I think we would beat them without getting out of 2nd gear.  Okay, they played the game with 10 men so probably not fair to judge, but i didn't see much quality on show from either team in my honest opinion. 

2 minutes ago, yuddie said:

That's hilarious. It didn't seem that much of a battering watching it though.

I'd love to see the xG for the two sides.

I agree Yuddie, it was all a bit powder puff from Genk. They may have has 14 shots on target, but truth be told, apart from the one goal from open play, which was a header on the line after the striker climbed on the defender, not many of the shots on target caused Servette much trouble. Genk did have most of the possession especially later stages of 2nd half and in ET, but were really ineffective with the possession they did have. A bit like us at times last season...🤫

Thanks to Weebluedevil for the constant updates, the frequency of the posting reflected the excitement of the game.

Similar to my fellow Gersnetter, I watched the entire match and just like the first leg both teams were at it, hammer and tongs. The Genk skipper, And Heynen proved to be a poor sooth sayer earlier in the week when he was quoted as saying, "we are already looking beyond the Rangers tie, to the Champions League group stages". Certainly, he did not foresee being stretchered off in the fifth minute of tonight's game. Although the consequence of a red card for the Swiss player added weight to his prediction of Genk progression. The Belgians were in the ascendency and the Referee appeared to have a pocketful of Servette marked cards.

One red card and seven yellow cards later, the side from the land of cuckoo clocks endured in excess of two hours of football to triumph 1-4 on penalties. They survived on barely 30% of possession with ten men making desperate tackles, blocks and, challenges. On one hand they deserved it, on the other they nicked the way their country's Bankers nicked Nazi gold and Jewish family heirlooms in the wake of World War Two. Two equalisers: one from a deflected free kick and, the other from a delightfully struck through ball. Being reduced did not change them, they are a counter attacking side.

Servette proved their fitness and possess excellent mental fortitude. They exhibited a patience too and, we have to match all these attributes if we are to progress. A decent lead established at Ibrox will force them out of their shell in the land of triangular bees buzzing around triangular trees. Get it right at the Stadium and Geneva should be a Swiss roll over.

Edited by 26th of foot

I watched from the second half and was praying for penalties and a Servette win.  I can't believe Genk lost that.

Just read the thread back and discovered Servette played with 10 men!   Maybe they won't be a pushover.

Edited by Blue Moon