[FT] Rangers 2 (Sima 45; Matondo 76) - 2 PSV Eindhoven

Back to PSV.

They'll be favourites to progress to the CL and will be well aware that we caught them out last season.

They have sold a few players over the summer and recruited well.

Will be a tough ask to defeat them over 2 legs and at a disadvantage of having to play home leg first. 

In reality we need to stay in the tie on Tuesday so wouldn't expect a gung-ho approach but need to take any opportunities that come our way (something we tend to struggle to do - takes us 3 or 4 chances to create a goal). 

27 minutes ago, CammyF said:

The bottom line is the vast majority of Rangers fans wanted the squad ripped apart and players chased. 

This is what we've done over the summer and to think that there would somehow be a magical and instant turning into prime Barca was fanciful at best, madness even. 

Instant gratification is a must these days.

In response to your above two posts:

Let's not exaggerate otherwise the point will be missed. What the fans want and deserve and, IMO, are realistic about it, is the minimum standard that a Rangers as a club should be aiming for: 1. a team that can compete for all honours domestically and not allow the bheasts to continue mopping up trebles to their rotten hearts' desire - we need to start winning titles regularly, not one every nine years, and 2. continue to build reputation in European competition and make enough cash to continue to improve the team as required to keep us winning trophies is Scotland.

In winning 55, we had the opportunity to achieve that standard, but then we f*cked it by not building on that success. The team crumbled and has now been rebuilt. It's not about instant gratification, it's about instant success. 

The support has been patient. Name another support base that has given as much considering what we've been through?

Two titles, 5 trophies in total, now bagged across the city, since 55.

If not now, when?  We have been patient, too f*cking patient IMO. 

Only based on a hunch, gut feeling, sneaking suspicion ........... etc. Very much intuition as opposed to facts.

I suspect Michael Beale will set up quite aggressively, go for it early. It might work, probably initially. Back in the day we would return from a Euro match two or three zip down and the cry was to throw the ball into the box and support it. Get an early goal, build the pressure, ......... ach you know the gig, we would get picked off and lose another couple of goals. Sounding the bugle usually left us all looking like trumpets.

I believe PSV have genuine width and bags of pace, it could be a long night?

1 minute ago, weebluedevil said:

In response to your above two posts:

Let's not exaggerate otherwise the point will be missed. What the fans want and deserve and, IMO, are realistic about it, is the minimum standard that a Rangers as a club should be aiming for: 1. a team that can compete for all honours domestically and not allow the bheasts to continue mopping up trebles to their rotten hearts' desire - we need to start winning titles regularly, not one every nine years, and 2. continue to build reputation in European competition and make enough cash to continue to improve the team as required to keep us winning trophies is Scotland.

In winning 55, we had the opportunity to achieve that standard, but then we f*cked it by not building on that success. The team crumbled and has now been rebuilt. It's not about instant gratification, it's about instant success. 

The support has been patient. Name another support base that has given as much considering what we've been through?

Two titles, 5 trophies in total, now bagged across the city, since 55.

If not now, when?  We have been patient, too f*cking patient IMO. 

When has our reputation in Europe been higher? Have you looked at our coefficient recently? We are in-line to be part of new Euro competition on the back of the last 4 out of 5 seasons in Europe. 

It wasn't MB or the players who didn't use 55 as a springboard. The board failed us. Let's not forget we were well ahead of Celtic when SG left for Villa. 

Instant success isn't guaranteed anywhere, never mind at Rangers. Instant success isn't what I crave, I want prolonged success. 

1 minute ago, 26th of foot said:

Only based on a hunch, gut feeling, sneaking suspicion ........... etc. Very much intuition as opposed to facts.

I suspect Michael Beale will set up quite aggressively, go for it early. It might work, probably initially. Back in the day we would return from a Euro match two or three zip down and the cry was to throw the ball into the box and support it. Get an early goal, build the pressure, ......... ach you know the gig, we would get picked off and lose another couple of goals. Sounding the bugle usually left us all looking like trumpets.

I believe PSV have genuine width and bags of pace, it could be a long night?

PSV are a better team than we are. They were a better team than we were last season when we faced them, but we matched them at Ibrox and defeated them in Holland. 

Whilst they have recruited well over the close-season, on paper they appear "weaker". 

The do have bags of pace out wide but this does leave space in-behind. 

Said previously this is a tough ask. 

5 minutes ago, CammyF said:

When has our reputation in Europe been higher? Have you looked at our coefficient recently? We are in-line to be part of new Euro competition on the back of the last 4 out of 5 seasons in Europe. 

It wasn't MB or the players who didn't use 55 as a springboard. The board failed us. Let's not forget we were well ahead of Celtic when SG left for Villa. 

Instant success isn't guaranteed anywhere, never mind at Rangers. Instant success isn't what I crave, I want prolonged success. 

I didn't say our reputation in Europe wasn't high, I said we need to continue to build on our reputation. Instant success from such a rebuild was needed, that's the point. Yes, i agree the board failed us, but the point is we need a manager and team capable of winning things now. We've been patient too long. 

7 minutes ago, CammyF said:

PSV are a better team than we are. They were a better team than we were last season when we faced them, but we matched them at Ibrox and defeated them in Holland. 

Whilst they have recruited well over the close-season, on paper they appear "weaker". 

The do have bags of pace out wide but this does leave space in-behind. 

Said previously this is a tough ask. 

PSV don't play in Holland. :D 

smug the big bang theory GIF