we should've been able to beat kaunas with the players we had - we didn't. that's smith's fault, and the players.

the rest is just to argue unknowables.

you cant know that a midfielder would've got us through against kaunas.

you cant know that there were players walter could've had.

you cant know that he's spent poorly until we give the players he's bought (and will yet buy) a chance.

i'm quite sure walter, like the rest of us, thought we'd get through the first round against kaunas and he was biding his time to get a properly good midfielder. that was his gamble, and he lost. he can be blamed for that. but you cant just create either/ors out of thin air. it would have been nice to have a solid midfield for that game, but that's not to say it was possible and/or could've been brought about by not signing lafferty.

personally i'm most happy with the lafferty, naismith type signings. i wish they'd get to play more, and be given the time to do it. i'm quite sure if any of the rangers management staff and board were to say "we can't afford to take a longterm view" they'd be slaughtered when the latest fashionable point for deriding them is that they are short termist.

the real things we should be concerned about, i think are:

the lack of transparency and honesty about plans

the lack of plans

the contentious stance taken with the fans

the inexplicable selection choices

etc.

It WAS up to Walter to have a team capable of qualifying for the CL in place. And the squad seems to have disintegrated over the last few months.

After getting to the UEFA cup final, surely we should have had enough to dispense with Kaunas - even with a few absentees?

The squad obviously wasn't solid enough and some of the players were being carried - and when they were given the full responsibility, they crumbled.

Players like Broadfoot, Weir, Dailly, McCulloch and Adam are ok as individual back-ups for this season, but as soon as you make half a team from them, then we are pretty poor.

The gulf in class between our best players and our standbys is now obvious.

We've also got some players who are better than these who didn't get a game like Webster, Hemdani and Cousin - and retrospectively, Furman and Fleck could have done a far better job.

The only twinkling of light is that the squad will look much better with the addition of Brougherra along with the return from injury of Webster, Smith, Burke, Ferguson, Naismith and Beasley.

Guest BTBBilly

Great post Frankie and agree 100%. Walking out after 60mins is a joke and will only spark a riot amongst the fans in the stands (IMO). This wont help the situation one bit.

I would personnaly give WS a break here. He does do things that annoy me sometimes, but im sure these aren't his intentions. We all knew his appointment was short term (this could be his last season) and we have come along way since PLG.

But the question is who would take over??

My money is on Craig Levien - 20/1 at the moment.

Great post Frankie and agree 100%. Walking out after 60mins is a joke and will only spark a riot amongst the fans in the stands (IMO). This wont help the situation one bit.

I would personnaly give WS a break here. He does do things that annoy me sometimes, but im sure these aren't his intentions. We all knew his appointment was short term (this could be his last season) and we have come along way since PLG.

But the question is who would take over??

My money is on Craig Levien - 20/1 at the moment.

I thought at first mccoist had been brought in to learn the trade then take over in 3, 4, 5 years time but i really dont know whether mccoist would be beneficial to us as his first managerial job! As for levien decent enough manager but is he someone who could spend money wisely in the transfer market? He had a bit of money at leicester and he just mostly bought ex hearts players, i would dread to think of him coming to us and bringing lee wilkie or darren dods:brick: .

Guest BTBBilly
I thought at first mccoist had been brought in to learn the trade then take over in 3, 4, 5 years time but i really dont know whether mccoist would be beneficial to us as his first managerial job! As for levien decent enough manager but is he someone who could spend money wisely in the transfer market? He had a bit of money at leicester and he just mostly bought ex hearts players, i would dread to think of him coming to us and bringing lee wilkie or darren dods:brick: .

HAHAHA Good point Gavin. The rumour i heard was that Durrant was taken over with McCoist his No.2

Excellent read frankie i 100% share ur views! u havnt by any chance got a pare 100 odd mil do u? lol! with some of the views u have u could certainly take the club forward!

I wish I did mate.... :(

We need to focus exactly on what has went wrong and offer solutions to change it. We read post after post saying the club is not performing well so these concerns should be aired at the AGM and a time-line sought to address and fix them. The club should not be allowed to hide from it's responsibilities and the incredible talent of our support should be consulted to seek fresh ideas AND improve poor relations.

The delay in a fan being appointed to the board happening has been most disappointing.

In the absence of this, a simple idea I'd like to propose to the board of Rangers Football Club is that a committee is formed to debate the future of the club. Several fans should be involved, as should Bain, Donald McIntrye and Andrew Dickson. Some ex-players could also be involved. This committee should look to consult all supporters (season ticket holders, shareholders and RSC members) while inviting contributions from all fans throughout the world. From that, real investigation of the issues at hand can be conducted and a full report offered thereafter.

It wouldn't be easy. It wouldn't happen overnight. The answers may not be as attractive as we'd like.

However, it would mean the club and support working together again and is a wholly positive method of dealing with all our concerns.

But look what happens when you give fans a say in things... they start to turn on each other.

It is a troubled time... but fans - all of them must be given the chance to have there say, be it through protest at the game on Saturday, or by staying away. Or indeed saying or doing nothing.

I wish I did mate.... :(

We need to focus exactly on what has went wrong and offer solutions to change it. We read post after post saying the club is not performing well so these concerns should be aired at the AGM and a time-line sought to address and fix them. The club should not be allowed to hide from it's responsibilities and the incredible talent of our support should be consulted to seek fresh ideas AND improve poor relations.

The delay in a fan being appointed to the board happening has been most disappointing.

In the absence of this, a simple idea I'd like to propose to the board of Rangers Football Club is that a committee is formed to debate the future of the club. Several fans should be involved, as should Bain, Donald McIntrye and Andrew Dickson. Some ex-players could also be involved. This committee should look to consult all supporters (season ticket holders, shareholders and RSC members) while inviting contributions from all fans throughout the world. From that, real investigation of the issues at hand can be conducted and a full report offered thereafter.

It wouldn't be easy. It wouldn't happen overnight. The answers may not be as attractive as we'd like.

However, it would mean the club and support working together again and is a wholly positive method of dealing with all our concerns.

We need to maintain an air of reason and composure. We need to plan for discussions and ensure the correct people are involved. We then need to have said discussions. We need to form committees. We need to enter into consultations. We need to invite contributions. We need to analyse and formulate informed opinions.

FFS haven't you learned anything from your wasted years on the Rangers Supporters Trust? Years of weasel words and pointless posturing, words that achieved absolutely fark all when you really get down to it. No seat on any board to pose upon. No influence with those who run the club. No better treatment of fans. No better running of the club. No more success on the park. The RST can't even hold on to the tiny membership it managed to scrape together - and I say that as a life member and committed proponent of supporters trusts - hell it talked so much that in the end they couldn't even talk to each other any more. but why am I telling you what you already know?

What Rangers fans who cannot accept the status quo need to get into their heads is that change doesn't come about by distant debate and endless handwringing. It happens because people are prepared to turn up and do the uncomfortable things. Protest - not talking about protest and certainly not sitting across the table from those who urgently need to be pressurised right out of this club. In fact, I'm stunned to read this being suggested.

Just another personal opinion of course.

Guest PortGlasgow

Its the 1st time in my lifetime ive ever seen such a high percentage of bears in a extremely negative mood at the same time. Before anyone chips in with the "you werent around in the early 80's" pish, im glad I wasn't their after some of the depressing stories ive heard :P

Different fans have different expectations

Section of fans are happy with just beating Celtic convincingly

Some rate Uefa while others don't

Some are happy with Domestic success rather than Uefa

Section of fans want top european pedigree players signing

Others want lesser known talent signing on young and cheap

Most fans want Rangers to be seen as a modern international club, even those who spout the "no-one likes us we done care" pish

Most would like us to keep hold of our key men at the top of their game

Section want Rangers to be turning over a consistent profit each season

Most want to see fluid exciting football where we can see players showing off

Every fan wants to see us perform well in the Champions League

Plenty of different variations but theirs been a series of cocks up that have failed nearly everything single topic. Like a wave of negativity that started off as a slight tremble started with the -

• Defensive football against Barcelona then
  • Going out of the CL
  • Hutton Sale
  • Double defeat against Celtic
  • Partick Thistle replay
  • Uefa Cup Final
  • Aberdeen away
  • Miller signing
  • Lack of midfield targets
  • Kaunas home
  • Kaunas away
  • Cuellar leaving

now its become a massive wave of complete dissatisfaction and on Saturday it'll break at Ibrox whether we beat Hearts or not imo. If I was Murray I'd be extremely anxious about cementing some midfield signings very very soon. Plenty of people have been waiting a long time to instigate action against the present regime and I dont think it'll take too much on Saturday to spark some very excited people into doing silly things.

Thats if you go by what you read on Ger forums then again.....

I dont think much has changed regarding the attitude to Murray, I still believe the majority of fans support him until a suitable replacement is found, and you have to remember most dont use or visit internet forums. The anti murray attitude which is evident on Rangers forums is still in the minority I feel. Although I dont know for sure I havent questioned 50,000 bears coming out of Ibrox I can only gauge it from speaking to friends and family and they dont hold any opinion on him at all apart from doing the best for what he's got. If any major unrest happens it will be interesting to see who the bulk is directed at Murray or Smith?