Ellis Interest Re-iterated

There still seems to be thoughts from people "in the know" who are saying the Ellis bid stuff is a load of bollocks, but if that's the case, why doesn't he release a statement saying he's walking away. All getting very tiresome.

Possibly because Murray hasn't finished with him yet , lol , but yes I agree it's getting very very tiresome

Then why float the idea at all?

As rbr says above, season ticket sales is all anyone needs to think about to understand this bit of non-news.

Having thought about it further, the timing can't be co-incidental and the reason for it must be season tickets.

It could be that Ellis is just doing it on SDM's behalf as has previously been speculated or it could be that Ellis is doing it for his own benefit, as he wants as much ST cash in when he buys the club, although the timing of it all and where the ST cash goes should the club be sold is open to question. You would think that Ellis would want to buy the club before the ST cash comes in, or will that be factored into the deal?

Having thought about it further, the timing can't be co-incidental and the reason for it must be season tickets.

It could be that Ellis is just doing it on SDM's behalf as has previously been speculated or it could be that Ellis is doing it for his own benefit, as he wants as much ST cash in when he buys the club, although the timing of it all and where the ST cash goes should the club be sold is open to question. You would think that Ellis would want to buy the club before the ST cash comes in, or will that be factored into the deal?

..... or it's already factored into the deal and now he really needs to make those targets? Either way, it seems like yet another arms-length attempt to manipulate the support and, judging by the posts on all forums, we remain as gullible as ever.

Thread title changed for the pedants... :flipa:

Another 3-4 week wait until we know more then. Such a deal was always going to take time to complete (if it happens of course) but it is good to see those of us who suggested SDM would remain a director emeritus could be correct. ;)

Watching some get their knickers in a twist about such a merely symbolic status award is somewhat amusing but I guess he'll retain a healthy interest in the club despite Ellis' intent to buy. Surely all of Murray's 91.8% shareholding won't be sold along with the debt?

Just how much interest will he retain and how much more of his money can we swallow up in the coming years... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

The latest on Ellis from Johnston. AJ is sharing the frustration felt by the support amd seems like it's a definite no-goer.

Alastair Johnston, the Rangers chairman, last night criticised the style and substance of Andrew Ellisââ?¬â?¢s attempted purchase of the Ibrox club, describing it as ââ?¬Å?way too prolongedââ?¬Â to prove of any use to the clubââ?¬â?¢s board of directors.

Johnston also expressed dissatisfaction at Ellis�s lack of contact with him. The Ibrox chairman has attempted twice to hold a meeting with the London-based developer about his intentions, to no avail.

Johnston was speaking after returning to his International Management Group base in Cleveland, Ohio, having spent the past six days in Scotland trying to resolve the Rangers ownership question.

On that issue there is not good news. ââ?¬Å?I donââ?¬â?¢t see any imminent resolution of a new owner for Rangers, so I believe we are going to have to plan and budget on a ââ?¬Ë?no change in ownershipââ?¬â?¢ basis going into next season,ââ?¬Â he said.

Johnston, though, reserved his greatest pique and frustration for Ellis, whom he believes has presided over a protracted and overblown period of due diligence, while failing to respond to a number of requests Johnston has made for a meeting.

ââ?¬Å?The situation regarding Mr Ellisââ?¬â?¢s proposed buying of Rangers has gone on way too long ââ?¬â? so letââ?¬â?¢s just say I am sceptical about it,ââ?¬Â Johnston said. ââ?¬Å?Not only that, but when Ellis first made his intimations about being interested in buying Rangers back in March, I set up a meeting and was all set to fly out to meet him, when that meeting was abruptly cancelled.

ââ?¬Å?I find it surprising and perplexing that, for someone supposedly keen to buy the club, Mr Ellis has had no direct contact at all with anyone at Rangers Football Club.

ââ?¬Å?On this point, two weeks ago, I made another request to hold a meeting with him, knowing that I was going to be in Britain, but I heard nothing back. So I find all of this conduct pretty surprising.ââ?¬Â

Asked if there seemed any point in Rangers holding out hope of an Ellis deal, Johnston, while expressing his own doubt on the matter, openly admitted that there was a difference of opinion on the issue between himself and Donald Muir, the corporate firefighter co-opted on to the Rangers board on behalf of the Murray Group.

ââ?¬Å?Donald Muir believes that there might be something productive in this [Ellis] deal, but I have to say, I reserve my judgment on that,ââ?¬Â Johnston said. ââ?¬Å?You ask me if I am cynical about it? Letââ?¬â?¢s just say, once again, that I am sceptical. If there is any imminent development on the Ellis front, I will be very surprised.ââ?¬Â

In casting doubt on the nature of the Ellis approach, Johnston said that he did not want to put off any other prospective buyer of Rangers, but that any new owner would have to be able to sustain the club financially in the medium to long-term. The subtext of Johnston�s words was obvious.

ââ?¬Å?We are not looking for some kind of Roman Abramovich figure to come in ââ?¬â? someone who can spend tens of millions on Rangers just like that,ââ?¬Â Johnston said. ââ?¬Å?But what I believe Rangers will need is someone who can prove capable of making a significant difference to the fortunes of the club, beyond the mere buying-selling act. There has to be a means there to be able to allow Rangers to thrive beyond any dependence on the banks.ââ?¬Â

Johnston also revealed that Walter Smith, the manager, had held private meetings on his own with Rangers� bankers last week to get his own take on where the club stand in terms of refinancing for next season.

Johnston said he still hoped that Smith would commit to staying on as manager. ââ?¬Å?Iââ?¬â?¢d heard Mr Ellis state this and that about Walter through the media ââ?¬â? well, Walter is actually at Rangers, and he will decide,ââ?¬Â Johnston said with another note of frustration in his voice.

ââ?¬Å?But, in meeting with the bank, I hope Walter was at least able to talk directly about the type of investment he believes the team will need, and maybe take some reassurance from that meeting.

ââ?¬Å?We will give Walter time to decide his future. At the moment he has both club and personal issues to resolve.ââ?¬Â

Meanwhile, Johnston revealed that he plans to attend the North American Rangers Supporters Association (NARSA) convention in Las Vegas next month to put his own case about the club�s future to supporters.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/scotland/article7129280.ece

Bluedell it really has went way past the tedious point , it must be blatantly obvious to even a blind man that we are not going anywhere and that Wabash's prediction way way back has proved correct ,Murray is still the only game in town unfortunately , as he is unable to take us anywhere .

God knows where the future leads us , it's really depressing