Any chance you can take your "tradition" chat into a new thread.

You are off on a tangent when this thread is about potential transfers - for the sake of this thread most won't give a shit about what the guy is wearing !

Make a new thread if you want to discuss the origins, traditions and history of RFC please

CHRIS EAGLES swooped into Ibrox yesterday and gaffer Walter Smith urged him to be Rangers' wide-boy.

The ex-Manchester United starlet, 24, had talks about a �£1.5million switch from Burnley.

SunSport exclusively revealed the move this week and Eagles was given a tour of Ibrox by club legend Sandy Jardine before being whisked off to Murray Park for a medical.

The deal is expected to be completed today with Eagles signed and sealed in time to fly out on the club's pre-season trip to Australia next week.

Smith said last night: "We've had different players playing in the wider positions for us in the last few years. The likes of Steven Naismith, John Fleck and even Steven Davis have played in that area of the pitch when it's not their natural position.

"We have not had a midfielder/winger and that's what Eagles is.

"He can take the ball, dribble and do something a little bit different. We've not had that in the team so if he signs then I hope that's what he brings to us.

"I watched him play for Burnley over the last few seasons and he's always impressed me.

"It would be our first signing in two years - which makes a nice change - but I feel the freshness is something that we could be doing with in the group.

"All being well, I'm hopeful that's what Chris will bring."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3055119/The-Eagles-has-landed.html#ixzz0thjKWGtg

Careful now, you are liable to disappear in that intellectual smog that you inhabit, one does expect much better from a mod, you just can't get the staff these days, incidentally the subject matter was and is Rangers, not battering weans or society in general... you have a pleasant night now... :giruy:

Bob and weave, sticks and stones. So you really believe that if we put a suit and Bowler on Kyle lafferty it will make him a better player. Mr Messi please come to Rangers. We can't offer you a wage but we do make you wear a suit and bowler hat. You won't get richer but it will make you a better person. Well i suppose it is worth a try. You know us traditionalists must stick together. We are the modern day Amish club,lost in the past.

Okay i won't answer again as i have no problem with Eagles or anyone else turning up for an interview in denims. A good interviewer can look deeper than the surface.

Something that does puzzle me in all this is that we have WS saying that the club cant offer new contracts to players unless in the final few months of their contracts. Yet we CAN afford to stump up 1.3 million on Eagles. How does that compute ?

Is WS saying that we cant even offer players contracts on the same terms as they are currently on ?

I am confused, frustrated and tired.....

Something that does puzzle me in all this is that we have WS saying that the club cant offer new contracts to players unless in the final few months of their contracts. Yet we CAN afford to stump up 1.3 million on Eagles. How does that compute ?

Is WS saying that we cant even offer players contracts on the same terms as they are currently on ?

I am confused, frustrated and tired.....

Players that have been here for a couple of seasons or more are looking for improved contracts, but with the club's finances as they are, it looks to a layman like they're basically trying to squeeze players into signing a new deal without the players' expected financial incentive. I think that might be what happened to Boyd. He wanted X amount and the club basically said 'no, but we can offer you X' (obviously it might have happened the other way round).

Players that have been here for a couple of seasons or more are looking for improved contracts.

But isnt the amount the important thing? For EG, I wonder how much Eagles has been offered, its certainly going to be a lot more than Novo was offered yet Id have rather kept Nacho as at least we know what we had in the wee man.

So, the Daily Record today are claiming that Thomson is wanting a pay-off from us as he's being "forced out".

KEVIN Thomson's �£2million switch to Middlesbrough was sensationally thrown into doubt last night.

Record Sport can reveal that Thomson is demanding a pay-off to leave as he feels he is being pushed out the door but Gers will be reluctant to pay him anything.

He is in Middlesbrough and will take a medical today but the midfielder won't agree to a move until he is given compensation for the final year of his contract.

And in another twist last night the Ibrox club's attempt to land Chris Eagles in a �£2.5m deal was also hanging in the balance. Burnley and Gers have agreed their part of the bargain but the 24-year-old midfield player headed back across the border to gather his thoughts. The former Manchester United kid went home to discuss the move with his family and Gers expect a yes or a no in the next 24 hours. Earlier yesterday it was assumed he would sign but he has asked for more time.

However, Walter Smith, who is committed to allowing Steve Davis to play in centre midfield, is determined to land Eagles .

And the boss clearly feels Eagles, who lost his way after storming through the ranks at Manchester United reaching Champions League level, could bring something different to Rangers.Smith said: "He is a good player. We watched him at Burnley and if he signs it could be a good help for us but we will wait and see."

Decision Eagles was once seen as the rising star of Manchester United but fell away and after having been loaned out he was signed by Burnley .

Now, however, he could grab the chance to get back to the top by regaining his best form with Rangers.

Meanwhile, Ibrox chairman Alastair Johnston insists any possible sale of Thomson would be Smith's decision and the manager has not been forced to offload players . Johnston claims Smith is not under pressure to drive down the club's debts and says the veteran boss, along with chief executive Martin Bain, would sanction any potential move.

He said: "The decision on who stays and who goes rests with the manager. "It is not being imposed upon him by the board.

"We are also not in a race to spend more than the competition. "We want to be smarter about it but there is money available. "It is not just automatic that if you have got money you go and get a player tomorrow."

Any player that doesn't ask for a transfer is entitled to a 10% cut of the fee , that has always been in place , I suppose his agent could always be greedy as we do have a history of being soft touches