Jelavic Signs but unavailable for Sunday

I think it's concluded already. I don't think we'll be seeing him in a rangers shirt.

I agree.

Quite frankly the whole thing is a joke. I know the player and Rapid have hardly been helpful but surely we have a list of targets at that price-point which we could move onto.

Doesn't make sense.

I agree.

Quite frankly the whole thing is a joke. I know the player and Rapid have hardly been helpful but surely we have a list of targets at that price-point which we could move onto.

Doesn't make sense.

You would think that, wouldn't you. The all-out way we've held out for him suggests otherwise though. If there is another target then we are leaving it very late to get him in an integrated into the team. I've said for years I despair of our scouting system. Surely we should have several targets and once the Jelavic deal started to go south - when they added 1.5 millionth the asking price - we should have moved on. The whole episode has been embarrassing and amateurish, although rangers can't be held responsible for the current sticking point, had we just gone in with an appropriate bid, it could've been tied up weeks ago.

@rbr, I know things should have been concluded weeks ago, but the extra CL cash might have been needed to tie up the deal. Rapid have been totally useless to try and strike a deal with price went up, delays and now moving the transfer to suit themselves. When they agree a price and allow the player to talk to us, really selfish.

I don't want the player to go on strike but if he does this surely would mean they would cash in.

You would think that, wouldn't you. The all-out way we've held out for him suggests otherwise though. If there is another target then we are leaving it very late to get him in an integrated into the team. I've said for years I despair of our scouting system. Surely we should have several targets and once the Jelavic deal started to go south - when they added 1.5 millionth the asking price - we should have moved on. The whole episode has been embarrassing and amateurish, although rangers can't be held responsible for the current sticking point, had we just gone in with an appropriate bid, it could've been tied up weeks ago.

Had we gone in with a higher bid initially they would have likely still asked for an increase in it. Given the way things have worked out, I'm not convinced that a higher initial bid would have changed anything.

I think it's concluded already. I don't think we'll be seeing him in a rangers shirt.

I disagree, i think Rapid are purely holding off for their Villa game. If they go out then they will want to sell and might even drop the fee by 500k or they risk not getting anything for him.

We have persevered this long so I think will wait until its either impossible to sign him or we get the go ahead.

Had we gone in with a higher bid initially they would have likely still asked for an increase in it. Given the way things have worked out, I'm not convinced that a higher initial bid would have changed anything.

It may not have, but I would rather the deal fell flat with five weeks of the window to go than one or two. The way Rapid have handled it has been very unsavoury, but they know we are gagging for him which gives them licence to dick us about. If we had an effective scouting system in place we could identify other targets and move on, leaving them �£4 million poorer with an unhappy player. That will probahly still be the case, but we are probably going to end up without a player.

From Evening Times

Nikica Jelavic could be ready to down tools in a dramatic bid to seal his move to Rangers.

The Croatian striker is furious at Rapid Vienna for blocking his �£4million switch to the SPL champions.

Jelavic has made it clear to the Austrians he doesn’t want to feature against Aston Villa tomorrow night in their Europa League play-off – and risk not being able to play in the Champions League for Rangers.

Despite conflicting versions over his eligibility in Europe, SportTimes understands Jelavic will be clear for the Champions League should the deal be completed within the next 24 hours.

If he plays for Rapid and they lose to Villa, he will still be eligible to play for Rangers in Europe – but that won’t be the case should he play and Rapid defeat the English side.

Rangers have made it clear to Rapid and the player that they don’t want to spend big money on someone who is not in a position to play for them in the Champions League.

Although they are unlikely to pull the plug on the deal should he become ineligible, the message has got through to Jelavic that he may have to force the issue.

The player has already made it clear to Rapid he doesn’t want to jeopardise his move by playing any part of their encounters with Villa.

It has been suggested Jelavic could “pick up an injury” which will rule him out of the Villa game.

He said: “For the past month with this transfer I never know where I stand. My head is all mixed up.

“On Monday I was almost a Rangers player. Rapid wanted to sell me. Everything was clear – then again it changed. It is not easy to concentrate, but I try the best I can. I must assume that I play against Villa.”

Gers chief executive Martin Bain will continue negotiations with Rapid tonight and first thing tomorrow in an attempt to finally push through the deal and avoid further complications.

It is by Thomas Jordan though and nothing really new in it