Summer Transfer thread - fun while it lasted!

Cuellar is worth more than �£3M - even at that price we should absolutely be doing business. I'm surprised we only bid �£1.5M.

Only has a year left on his contract IIRC, and he is 29 now.

I think 3 mill for a player who wasnt getting a game at his preferred position, who is injured and who is nearing the end of his contract is a fair price, at least for us ;)

He is definitely better than a 3 mill player but these other factors start to diminish the fee that any club can expect to get.

I would be happy if we did get him for the 3 mill. With Bougherra looking like he is for the off we would be getting an upgrade on a player, for an extended period of time (rather than the one year we would get out of Bougherra before he leaves for nothing) and someone who has already proven himself in the SPL, and beyond, for a net cost of 1.5 mill (if the Bougherra price is to be believed) - yes please from me.

The only thing is that we currently seem to be looking at bringing in players but each player coming in seems to be a replacement for players leaving - we need to see a net INCREASE in squad size, not just replacements.

Cuellar for 3 mill would be good business though Danny, absolutely no doubt about that.

I thought you needed the clubs permission to talk to a player? How can they agree terms if we've said they can't talk to him (i.e. rejected the bids, said he's not for sale)

I'm very disappointed in Whittaker. A very versatile player who has performed well in many different positions and one of our few threats from long distance. Gutted that he's knocked back a "substantial wage increase" to stay at the champions... Whatever happens, I will never forget THAT goal in Lisbon!

The sale of Cuellar at Villa’s valuation would give him Ã?£3million for his transfer kitty along with the Ã?£2.5million he has saved by deciding not to purchase Bradley.

Luckily enough, we also saved 16m when we decided not to buy Ashley Young! (At least according to the same logics ... )

I would be happy if we did get him for the 3 mill. With Bougherra looking like he is for the off we would be getting an upgrade on a player, for an extended period of time (rather than the one year we would get out of Bougherra before he leaves for nothing) and someone who has already proven himself in the SPL, and beyond, for a net cost of 1.5 mill (if the Bougherra price is to be believed) - yes please from me.

We would need to sell Bougherra or Whittaker for a good price first before I'd be happy about us spending �£3m on Cuellar because if it turns out that Ally's buying budget is only �£5m then buying Cuellar for �£3m would be 60% of his budget gone on one player. If he took the gamble that Bougherra or Whittaker will sell and they didn't sell in this window then buying Cuellar could end up hindering Ally's ability to bring in the 'right' players for other positions.

I'd go for Cueller, maybe �£2.5 million, and it's bad news about Whittaker.

If Allan McGregor or Jelavic came out with the same attitude, I'd be quite pleased to get rid of them as well.

I accepted Miller leaving because we were skint and he was being offered huge riches from Bursa. But Whittaker has been offered apparently 3 times his wage, and still rejects it. Obviously sees the money in Turkey and wants a slice of that pie. But he doesn't exactly deserve it.

Players who do not want to be here can fuck off.

We would need to sell Bougherra or Whittaker for a good price first before I'd be happy about us spending �£3m on Cuellar because if it turns out that Ally's buying budget is only �£5m then buying Cuellar for �£3m would be 60% of his budget gone on one player. If he took the gamble that Bougherra or Whittaker will sell and they didn't sell in this window then buying Cuellar could end up hindering Ally's ability to bring in the 'right' players for other positions.

We NEED AT LEAST one CB. If Cuellar costs us 3 million and we only have 5 million then so be it. He is worth it.

Yes, we need additions but I would rather we get quality than quantity.

Looking critically at the situation from where our squad left the previous championship winning season :

IN - nobody

OUT - Weiss, Bartley, Diouf, Healy, Weir.

Weiss was good, a special player when on his game but sometimes goes missing. Wylde is a capable replacement.

Bartley also decent, but didnt play the last 10 matches (or something like that) due to injury - so in the run-in we managed without him.

Diouf - not a loss at all IMO

Healy - not a loss either from the perspective that he didnt play anyway. I would, though, give him another contract - but in terms of losing players he makes little difference.

Weir - the biggest loss in terms of who contributed last year. Cuellar would be his replacement.

We have McCulloch coming back in, Ness should be available again and Broadfoot should be over his injuries.

I believe we need squad fillers as well as starters. But at 3 million quid out of a 5 million budget then Cuellar is, to me at least, a no-brainer. Get him on a 4 or 5 yr contract to finish his career - he is as good a 3 million CB signing as we could possibly hope to achieve IMO.

Thing we should be looking at is the likes of Danns to be the Bosman fillers, whilst spending our 5 mill on a couple of high quality (as high quality as you can get for 2.5 mill each...) players to truly supplement the starting XI.

Zappa, you say it could end up hindering Ally's ability to bring in the "right" players in other positions..... I would contend that our MOST NEEDED position is indeed CB. We literally have 2 CB's - one who wants away and the other who is 41 yrs old. I dont think it is a position we can mess around with - Cuellar has the experience and we really need that position filled.

If you look at our team and squad from last season - you have Jelavic, Lafferty, Naismith who can all play up top (and possibly even Fleck and even your favoured Hemmings). Wylde, Edu, Hutton, Davis, McCulloch, Ness, Fleck for midfield as well as Naismith too. In defence we have Papac, Weir (maybe), Bougherra (maybe), Whittaker (maybe), Broadfoot.

It is fairly obvious to my untrained eye that we need more bodies in defence. Cuellar would, in my opinion, be worth spending the 3 million on, even if that meant blowing 60% of the budget. I mean, lets face it, we are going to struggle to get TWO quality players in with a 5 million budget anyway - we cant compete with the Championship let alone the big leagues - so getting someone of that quality at that price is a no brainer to me.