Summer Transfer thread - fun while it lasted!

From the Rangers site:

McCoist is set to turn his attentions to Fulham's 6ft 3in Welsh Under-19 striker Richard Peniket after missing out on Israeli striker Tomer Hemed at the weekend.

The quote below was posted from a man in the know.......apparently.

Goodwillie to sign, McLeish agrees to sell Cuellar for 2.5 Million, Wenger values Bartley at 1.5 million, Weiss still wants to come back.

Goodwillie to sign, McLeish agrees to sell Cuellar for 2.5 Million, Wenger values Bartley at 1.5 million, Weiss still wants to come back.

That last 3 would make my day! Add 1 midfielder (although Bartley can play there) and that would be close to all we need, so long as Bougherra stays and Weir gets a player coach contract.

That last 3 would make my day! Add 1 midfielder (although Bartley can play there) and that would be close to all we need, so long as Bougherra stays and Weir gets a player coach contract.

I'm being incredibly picky but even if Weiss was to return (highly unlikely) I'd still like a real attacking midfielder, a luxury player who can link with a lone striker, deliver a telling set peice and dictate attacking play.

Cuellar for 2.5 million would be fantastic business, especially if we get 1.5 mill for Bougherra. A net outlay of 1 mill for a guy who obviously wants to come back vs a guy who obviously wants to go - and also where the former is the better player. No brainer for me.

Bartley would be a good addition too and I think represents good value at 1.5 mill. he is young, tie him to a 4 or 5 yr deal and he has decent sell-on value with his higher profile and, hopefully, CL performances.

I liked Weiss even though inconsistent. I would happily take him back.

Havent seen enough of Goodwillie but again offers a value proposition.

I would be happy with the standard of player we are looking at in the 1st 3 for sure.

We still would need more players though because even with the above 4 they only represent a net gain to the squad of 1 (given that Bartley & Weiss were on loan last season anyway, and given Cuellar would likely be a replacement for Bougherra).

We need our squad numbers increased by more than just 1. Actually they wouldnt even represent a net gain of 1 because Diouf is gone too, and Healy is out of contract. Signing the above 4 still would leave us with 1 less than last season. We need a few more players, perhaps why we have also been scouring the Bosman market too - dont pay transfer fees but pay the wages - that should work for the squad fillers, but would be wary if the Bosman's were expected to enhance the starting XI.

Apparently Craig Conway (and possibly Danny Wilson) may be on their way to Cardiff - not Rangers.

Conway I really, really don't care about. Wilson I'd be disappointed to lose out on.

A partnership of him and Cuellar next season is mouthwatering.

Danny Wilson was offered a new contract at roughly the same time as John Fleck and Wilson wouldn't sign his, so I fail to see why he'd want to come back now anyway.

Rangers in talks to land Carlos Cuellar & David Goodwillie as first major summer signings

Jun 21 2011 Exclusive by James Traynor

RANGERS have moved significantly closer to making David Goodwillie and Carlos Cuellar their first summer signings.

Record Sport understands the Ibrox club were in talks with Dundee United yesterday and Aston Villa late last night.

Rangers owner Craig Whyte and manager Ally McCoist are anxious to start getting players in to strengthen the club's chances of clinching a fourth successive championship as well as securing a Champions League spot.

Tannadice hitman Goodwillie and Villa's Cuellar could cost close to 3.5million with wages on top of that but McCoist is determined to enhance his strike force and strengthen his defence.

It is believed both players want to go to Rangers - Cuellar for a second Ibrox stint - and McCoist is a fan of both.

Before any business with United for Goodwillie can be concluded Rangers would have to be sure the striker is clear of a rape allegation against him.

Even with that in mind, however, Whyte's team were trying yesterday to strike agreements with United and Villa, although the Premiership club's new boss Alex McLeish will not allow Cuellar to leave easily.

He could even attempt to strike a deal which would take keeper Allan McGregor from Ibrox but Big Eck would have to offer at least 9million plus Cuellar before such a bid would be considered.

McLeish said: "We need a keeper and I have a number of names in mind. Allan's definitely a good goalie."

McLeish won't be keeping Gary McAllister on his coaching staff but will retain Gordon Cowans. No.2 Andy Watson is not expected to move from Birmingham but it is not clear if Peter Grant will switch to Villa.

Daily Record