Summer Transfer thread - fun while it lasted!

If you don't rate a player, then even if others believe he's done well in a match you might disagree, because your own personal bias clouds your judgement.

I stopped rating Edu last year, and even though he was marginally less bad in the split many fans said he was actually 'good' which I disagree with completely. Am I being unfair, accurate, irrational, what?

It's hard to judge who's right and wrong because there is no correct answer. It's completely subjective and based on opinion.

I think you are being unfair, to me you've answered your own question, you said you stopped rating Edu last year so no matter how well or bad he has played you are not going to rate him which seems pretty silly to me. I might not have liked players in the past and there's been a few but I've always gave credit where it was due and some have even changed my mind. If you don't want to do this them fine but if you're never going to change your mind no matter how someone plays then what's the point in slating someone all the time?

I think you are being unfair, to me you've answered your own question, you said you stopped rating Edu last year so no matter how well or bad he has played you are not going to rate him which seems pretty silly to me. I might not have liked players in the past and there's been a few but I've always gave credit where it was due and some have even changed my mind. If you don't want to do this them fine but if you're never going to change your mind no matter how someone plays then what's the point in slating someone all the time?

It's not about 'want', it's about genuinely believing in your own opinion. Like I said, I didn't agree with others that he was good during the run in, I thought he was merely less bad than previous. That was what I felt I saw, it wasn't me refusing to give credit.

You may believe I am wrong, that is your opinion, and anyone else who shares your opinion. But it is not me being stubborn. That would be like guys who hated Lafferty and even decided he was rubbish during the run in, which in the opinion of many, he wasn't.

Or those who thought Davis was mediocre for the whole season, and didn't improve during the run in. Personally I thought he was pretty average all year then suddenly outstanding during the split.

I just call it as I see it. Sometimes I will get it 'right' (though is there such a thing?) and sometimes not.

If I had only highlighted the positive, you wouldn't have an axe to grind with me. We would not be having this debate.

You mean the small conversation that you personally take umbrage with?

Wouldn't snap judgements be what you claim I'm doing with Ally, not what you claim I did with Lafferty. That would be fickle. Which I disagree with, I made one small comment when he was in terrible form suspecting he might not be able to regain his form. Otherwise I'm one of the few to consistently support him. But I won't hold your dislike for Lafferty against you in this debate.

Yeah, it really is mainly you. A large problem you have with my opinion of summarising the last month with Ally in charge. I don't know why this is such a gripe with you. Ah, yes I do, like I say; had it all been positive, you wouldn't have started a campaign of criticism of my view.

It still all boils down to the fact that really you are summarising a week and dressing it up as a month. It's quite daft really.

100% spot on yet there's some who'll fight tooth and nail to make you change your mind or at least try to change it and can't accept the fact that someone else has an opinion that differs from theirs.

That argument could be used for BOTH sides of the argument. Unless, like me, you have never been wrong and dont need your mind changed :thup:

What you normally do is quote and then post your reply below it. If you wish to reply to someone else you normally stick their quote under that and then reply and so on.

Does it have to be the case ? Either way, we are arguing semantics. And off topic. Which is pointless to both of us.

Is the old football cliche I'm about to quote true?

That you are only as good as your last game?

Not with a manager, at least not in my opinion. Otherwise we would have a dozen managers are year as we would sack every manager after a loss (especially when there is the other OF cliche of "we must win every game") :D

It's not about 'want', it's about genuinely believing in your own opinion. Like I said, I didn't agree with others that he was good during the run in, I thought he was merely less bad than previous. That was what I felt I saw, it wasn't me refusing to give credit.

You may believe I am wrong, that is your opinion, and anyone else who shares your opinion. But it is not me being stubborn. That would be like guys who hated Lafferty and even decided he was rubbish during the run in, which in the opinion of many, he wasn't.

Or those who thought Davis was mediocre for the whole season, and didn't improve during the run in. Personally I thought he was pretty average all year then suddenly outstanding during the split.

I just call it as I see it. Sometimes I will get it 'right' (though is there such a thing?) and sometimes not.

The above is the CRUX of it all for me. Very well put Danny.

And I dont think many of us would criticise if people state their opinions on players and management so long as they can defend their position logically, which you thankfully do. There are, however, others who state what they consider to be an opinion but refuse to engage in the debate as to how they arrive at that position.

We all see games differently, otherwise the MOTM award would be a pointless poll. And we all expect different things in different players, which is fine too.

It is when people either dont support their opinion, dont engage int he subsequent debate or start to be rude to others is when it starts to annoy.

ASTON VILLA boss Alex McLeish has told former club Rangers to forget about Carlos Cuellar.

The Scottish giants bid �£1.5million for the Spanish defender, who they sold to Villa for nearly �£8m three years ago.

But Bick Eck insists that Cuellar - who is happy to see out the final year of his Villa deal - is not for sale.

McLeish is also ready to splash out �£5m on Manchester City keeper Shay Given and �£9m on Wigan's Charles N'Zogbia.

Why couldn't he have said this when he was 1st asked about this deal. What a cunt!