Summer Transfer thread - fun while it lasted!

STV understands Romanian defender Dorin Goian will undergo a medical with Rangers on Monday, subject to personal terms being agreed.

Ally McCoist's side have agreed a fee with Italian side Palermo over the transfer of the 30-year-old, with work now ongoing to complete his signing ahead of Monday evening's additional Champions League registration deadline.

Gers boss Ally McCoist previously stated his intent to bring in one new face ahead of this week's Champions League third qualifying round first leg with Malmo FF. Although the club's squad has already been submitted for the two matches, Rangers can register one additional player by 7.45pm on Monday night.

Goian moved to Italy in 2009 from Steaua Bucharest, having spent four years with the 23-times Romanian champions. Prior to his time with Steaua, the 30-year-old's career was also spent in his homeland with FCM Bacau, Ceahlaul Piatra Neamt and Foresta Falticeni.

Palermo paid �£2 million euro to sign Goian but he played second fiddle for most of the 2009/10 season, before injury restricted his appearances last term. At international level, he has 37 caps for Romania, scoring against Belarus, Germany, Holland, France and Georgia.

Goian, who stands at 6ft 5in tall, also has a limited experience of Scottish football, having seen his penalty saved by then-Motherwell goalkeeper John Ruddy during the away leg of the Steelmen's eventual 6-1 aggregate defeat to Steaua in the 2009 Europa League third qualifying round.

The player would require a work permit to move to Glasgow, which would be followed by an application for an accession worker card, which is required for Romanian nationals coming to live and work in the UK.

The player would require a work permit to move to Glasgow, which would be followed by an application for an accession worker card, which is required for Romanian nationals coming to live and work in the UK.

I remember McCoist saying he might bring in 2 players and register 1, surely Gioan won't be registered, The above must surely take a good few days?

cuellar is injured till sept earliest so i don see why we should bother spending cash on him when we can get him on a pre contract in january

Maybe to replace Boogie?

I'm doubtful Goian will be available, the paper work wont be done and I doubt the committee will be ready to approve his permit, plus we may need to appeal which means more waiting.

MADJID BOUGHERRA could be on his way out of Rangers in a shock �£2.6million switch to Qatari champions Lekhwiya Sports Club.

Ibrox transfer supremo Andrew Dickson met with the defender’s representatives last night and a deal is expected to be concluded before today’s European deadline.

Express Sport broke the story of Ally McCoist’s interest in Goian last week and now the Rangers boss is hopeful the transfer will be pushed through to allow him to play him in the Champions League qualifier against Malmo.

Goian, 30, has been offered a three-year-deal and is expected to fly into Scotland to seal his deal and for his medical over the next 24 hours.

The experienced Palermo defender, who has also starred for Steaua Bucharest, became McCoist’s top target after Aston Villa defender Carlo Cuellar turned down a move to Ibrox over wages.

Rangers are also expected to up their bid for St Johnstone midfielder Murray Davidson to around �£300,000- after they had an initial �£150,000 deal knocked back.

Dundee United striker David Goodwillie remains on the radar, as does Anderlecht defender Roland Juhasz.

Rangers have already agreed a pre-contract with Alejandro Bedoya from Orebro and could conclude that deal before the close of the window, while Motherwell’s Scotland under-21 starlet Jamie Murphy is also on their list of possible targets.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/260855/Madjid-Bougherra-heads-for-Rangers-exit

I like the idea of Jamie Murphy joining up. We sure need back-up amongst our frontline, as a Jela injury or suspension could wreak havoc up front. And Goodwillie ... well, we all know the "rat's tail"* involved here.

*A German saying ;-)

Personally we already have enough of a "backup" in the front line. Although are the backup players trusted enough? Saturday showed I have my doubts. We need someone who is going to at least challenge Lafferty/Naismith up top I doubt we could find the quality of Jelavic for a good price.

The "problem" I have with Lafferty is that he has not been a consistent thread in front of goals over the course of the season. While Naismith is so much involved in the game - physically and outspokenly - that he is bound to suffer from injury or suspension. Hemmings looks a grand prospect, Healy and Beattie are decent, but no 10 to 15+ plus scorers either. Jelavic is our main threat and as I said, you would not want to lose him like last season. This is all pretty hypothetical, of course. But as with a gun and/or a condome, you rather have one along and do not need it, than none at hand when there is need.