Summer Transfer thread - fun while it lasted!

RANGERS are on the verge of landing Palermo defender Dorin Goian.

It's understood an �£800,000 deal between the clubs is all but agreed and personal terms now only need to be ironed out for the giant Romanian stopper.

The Ibrox hierarchy were working furiously on the transfer last night after watching Gers draw 1-1 against Hearts in their SPL opener.

And they hope to overcome one or two obstacles by tomorrow morning.

Gaffer Ally McCoist is praying a deal can be concluded as he is desperate to bring in at least one more stopper.

McCoist was disappointed to drop two points in his first SPL game as boss and doesn't want any more setbacks before Tuesday's Champions League tie against Malmo.

He is allowed to add one more player to his squad for that first-leg qualifier and Goian is the man he wants.

McCoist said: "Talks are ongoing and I believe one or two phone calls have taken place. We need players and I hope to get Goian in.

"We are able to add one more for the Malmo game and hope to be in a position to do that."

McCoist also wants to land Carlos Cuellar from Aston Villa but may be thwarted in his bid to get Kyle Bartley back on loan from Arsenal.

It's understood Gunners gaffer Arsene Wenger would prefer the player to go elsewhere to continue his footballing education - and that could lead to him ending up at Bolton.

Wenger wants to sign Gary Cahill and Reebok boss Owen Coyle may get Bartley as part of the deal.

McCoist said: "I'm not ruling any player out at the moment. We are chasing a number of targets."

Reports in Belgium claim Anderlecht have rejected a �£1.4m bid from Rangers for stopper Roland Juhasz.

PSV Eindhoven are also said to be interested in the 28-year-old Hungarian and Gers would have to up their offer to have any chance of landing the defender .

The champions unfurled the SPL flag yesterday but Hearts star David Obua ruined the party with af irst-half opener.

Stevie Naismith levelled after the break but there was to be no winning start for McCoist.

The Rangers boss said: "We were disappointing in the first half, although you have to give Hearts credit.

"We spoke to the players at half-time and made one or two adjustments.

"Steve Davis mov ing inside worked well.

"We might have just nicked it but it might have also been an injustice had we won the game."

Opposite number Jim Jefferies was full of praise for his side and said: "I said to the players at half-time that was as good a display as I've seen here from an away team. We were really good.

"There was every chance for us to be three ahead by half-time. This was a good result and performance but I'm not going to make any predictions. Let's see after eight or nine games."

Andy Webster limped off with a groin injury after just eight minutes and David Templeton was subbed with concussion.

Jefferies hopes Templeton will be fit for Thursday's Europa League clash away to Hungarian side Paksi but Webster is doubtful.

Jeff said: "David had double vision and it was a blow to lose him. Andy said he was fine before the game but picked up an injury."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/2011/07/24/rangers-putting-final-touches-to-deal-for-palermo-stopper-dorin-goian-86908-23293625/

“@Fourth_Official: Hearing Rangers have had a 600k bid accepted for Dorin Goian #RFC”

I've just read a link that said Celtic were interested in Goian and that they were his preferred option.

Of course, not like them to hijack a Rangers signing...

I agree. He was ok last season to wind up the tims, but ultimately he came off the bench a lot for us and was used sparingly when we blitzed our way to the Title

In the end he was hugely mediocre. tbh his attitude was actually decent and he didn't end up in any major trouble, but he just wasn't that great a player.