Summer Transfer thread - fun while it lasted!

Seems Cuellar IS pretty close to returning to training..... From Sky Sports :

Aston Villa manager Alex McLeish maintains that Carlos Cuellar could still leave the club despite Rangers raising concern over the fitness of the defender.

The Scottish giants are keen to re-sign the 29-year-old but Cuellar is currently recovering from a knee problem, and the Glasgow-based club are reluctant to bring him back to Ibrox just yet.

At the weekend Rangers manager Ally McCoist admitted that he is having second thoughts of signing the Spaniard, but McLeish remains hopeful that the transfer will finally go through.

"Carlos is a very good experienced player," the Villa boss told The Express & Star. "I think Rangers have gone cold on the idea so, as far as we are concerned, he is a Villa player.

"He is a solid defender and did a tremendous job for Rangers when he was up there in his first spell. He is a terrific defender and is very experienced cover.

"He is not far away from running, so he is maybe a week or two away from joining the group. Will he still be here in a fortnight? I can't predict that.

"We just have to get on with things and keep plugging away to get results."

Villa started their Premier League season with a goalless away draw with Fulham at the weekend and are at home to Blackburn Rovers on Saturday.

Seems Cuellar IS pretty close to returning to training..... From Sky Sports :

Aston Villa manager Alex McLeish maintains that Carlos Cuellar could still leave the club despite Rangers raising concern over the fitness of the defender.

The Scottish giants are keen to re-sign the 29-year-old but Cuellar is currently recovering from a knee problem, and the Glasgow-based club are reluctant to bring him back to Ibrox just yet.

At the weekend Rangers manager Ally McCoist admitted that he is having second thoughts of signing the Spaniard, but McLeish remains hopeful that the transfer will finally go through.

"Carlos is a very good experienced player," the Villa boss told The Express & Star. "I think Rangers have gone cold on the idea so, as far as we are concerned, he is a Villa player.

"He is a solid defender and did a tremendous job for Rangers when he was up there in his first spell. He is a terrific defender and is very experienced cover.

"He is not far away from running, so he is maybe a week or two away from joining the group. Will he still be here in a fortnight? I can't predict that.

"We just have to get on with things and keep plugging away to get results."

Villa started their Premier League season with a goalless away draw with Fulham at the weekend and are at home to Blackburn Rovers on Saturday.

If we want him we should go for him now. Prices in January are usually a lot higher than the beginning of the season.

If we want him we should go for him now. Prices in January are usually a lot higher than the beginning of the season.

Not just that Pete but if we wait till January we may lose out to someone else simply because he should be fit then.

Guest BRIANMC1

We have spent 300K net on 6 players... None of which excite me.... Wallace has impressed.

We now go into Europe with the same injury stretched, Thin , Slow Squad.

We haven't been in touch with Orebro since we had our bid rejected for Bedoya.

This Ali Russell sounds like a complete Clown.

I don't feel good about things at all right now.

Maybe McCoist thinks there's a chance of signing Cuellar on a free in January. Obviously it would mean risking losing him to another club who can pay higher wages, but it's a possibility. I can't think why else we've gone cold on signing him at the moment because we always knew he was still recovering from injury. Unless the CL exit meant we were completely out of the running on all of these multi-million pound signings.