Summer Transfer thread - fun while it lasted!

McCoist saying the Cuellar deal is off.

:(

This news came out the other day Gav.

McCoist ALSO said that he may revisit the deal in January but he needs someone NOW that is fit to play.

Rangers could make USA captain Carlos Bocanegra their wildcard signing in time to face Maribor in the Europa League play-off on Thursday.

The Ibrox side were today in talks with the 32-year-oldââ?¬â?¢s club ââ?¬â?? French outfit St Etienne ââ?¬â?? in a deal they reckoned would cost around Ã?£400,000, with the player believed to be keen on coming.

However, a Premiership club is also interested in the stopper, which could mean Rangers may have to offer more than that figure to land their target.

Evening Times.

Or, to use the ebay analogy a different way....

The seller wants to recoup some of their cash from the sale but has agreed that at the end of the auction they will "sell" for free. The auction close date is nearing. The closer you get to that auction close date the closer the seller is to realising ZERO from the sale. So then why is it that the seller would expect the "fee" to go UP as you near that auction close date.

Not as ludicrous as some may think, it would appear.

That doesn't happen on eBay.

I believe, unless mistaken, you can have an ebay auction with a ZERO reserve set on it. Someone could bid zero and win it, or close to zero. The point being that the price wont go up as you get closer to the close.

You can always take analogies to extremes, and due to freedom of contract, Bedoya doesn't quite fit - we've got him for free in January - who else would want to buy him in the meantime, and there's no way he'd go anyway. If you already have future ownership of something, why would you bid more when the clock is ticking?

But you're still wrong. On ebay you may lose the auction but the person who wins doesn't pay up for some reason. The option is there for a "second chance". Now if you are less desperate to get the item, you may negotiate with them for a lower bid than your original one, and if they are desperate enough as they don't want to wait for another auction, they might just take it.

The Bedoya case is more akin to "Price drop TV". So the question is, why would bid more?

Maybe since the anecdote has being picked up, I should add another related one. A year ago I actually won an auction for a bike but afterwards noticed the wheels in the picture were not the one's listed - they were Mavic Aksiums rather than Ksyriums and you have to look closely to tell. Aksiums are solid reliable but heavy and cheap. Ksyriums are a couple of notches above.

I pointed this out to the guy and he said he copied and pasted the spec from a website and didn't see the difference; he offered me �£200 off. So I could have had a lower offer accepted. However, upgrading the wheels would cost more than �£200 so I declined and pulled out of the sale due to inaccurate description. That worked out well for me as a few days later I was in hospital with a broken leg and wrist and wasn't able to cycle for seven months.

However, I think it's incredibly obvious that Bedoya's value is dropping by the week. Or should we wait till December and offer �£1M? It's like the price of the iPad 3 will start off high for those that want it early and go down as general release becomes available.

But in this case the Swedes are selling something that is actually worthless. The only thing they are selling is giving us something earlier than they have to. The less early that is, the less it is worth.

After that, I feel like the minister of the bleedin' obvious.

The Cuellar deal off seems like common sense. The guy is still not fit and won't be match fit for a couple of months - so if we wait till January, we can again, drop our bid to say �£1.2M, save the wages as well, and bring in a fit player who can go straight into the team. For Cuellar, it means he can pick up his higher wage for 4 months while he get's back to fitness - and might just get a higher signing on fee.

The only losers are Villa, but they don't have a choice.

Or, to use the ebay analogy a different way....

The seller wants to recoup some of their cash from the sale but has agreed that at the end of the auction they will "sell" for free. The auction close date is nearing. The closer you get to that auction close date the closer the seller is to realising ZERO from the sale. So then why is it that the seller would expect the "fee" to go UP as you near that auction close date.

Not as ludicrous as some may think, it would appear.

If you fail to sell, you relist :P

Still on about that? I slightly agreed with what you say but I also agree contract is running down and he will become our player as permit has been granted so a reduction is probably correct but I wouldn't really up the offer.

If the club refuse to sell for 400k, it is just plain silly to then try 300k.

All this stuff about time running out so value decreasing doesn't matter - the selling club hold the power and if they won't sell for 400 why in the name all that is pure and holy would the 'buying' club believe a smaller bid will tempt them more than the larger bid?