Summer Transfer thread - fun while it lasted!

Danny thats rubbish mate. He is worth less every day with his contract running down.

I know you've got agreement on your post from a few quarters, but I can't see why. If they refused to sell for 400k, why the hell would they then sell for less than that.

Anyone who thinks that tactic is sound is, frankly, being silly.

We're already out of the CL. He's worth a hell of a lot less to us now.

This is the most nonsensical post I've seen from you. Are all players worth a hell of a lot less to us because we're not in the CL any more?

Some of the replies to my post beggar logic.

This is the most nonsensical post I've seen from you. Are all players worth a hell of a lot less to us because we're not in the CL any more?

They are when they are signed on a pre-contract. We have enough for the SPL therefore can afford to wait.

I know you've got agreement on your post from a few quarters, but I can't see why. If they refused to sell for 400k, why the hell would they then sell for less than that.

Anyone who thinks that tactic is sound is, frankly, being silly.

I dont think it is a silly idea to think that the less time a playe has on his contract the less value he has?

Guest Dutchy

I forget who posted it Danny, but the fact that the doubt over his work permit has now been removed takes it from being highly unlikely to a certainty that he's all but a rangers player come January now. It seems entirely sensible for us to offer a lower fee as there's no chance he'll be staying with the Swedes, thus reducing his value and their bargaining power. It's now just stuborness if we don't get him now as they now have a player that doesn't want to play for them, or he wouldn't have signed a pre for us.

On the Greg Wylde situation. What exactly is is the role of the ex-septic player in this farce? Can he legally go touting a signed player from another club, namely us, around other English clubs because he may not be an agent? Or is there any chance of him being punished for his actions?

It seems strange to me that registered agents can't do this, but non-connected anybody and everybody can do as they please. It's a screwed up scenario if you ask me?

Yes, they are when we can wait 3.5 months and get them for nothing. Getting a player in for the CL would be worth paying for given the potential benefit. The potential benefit of getting him in now is a lot less. I don't see why that viewpoint is nonsensical.

Paying �£400K for 3.5 months league and Europa League probably isn't worth it. Paying �£400K to help us earn �£17m probably is worth it. Surely even you can understand that? :D

If they refused to sell for 400k, why the hell would they then sell for less than that.

Assuming these stories about us going in with a lower bid than the previous one are true, then I think it's bloody embarrassing. It's not as if we're going back several months later or anything. We're talking about less than 2 weeks between our last bid and the new one. I also don't agree with the argument that he's worth less to us now that his work permit is sorted. That's an absolutely insane piece of logic. A player who you're not sure will be granted a permit is worth LESS than a player who has been granted one. Since we're now trying to buy a player who can walk straight into the team without permit issues, his value has undoubtedly increased.

If we really want the player to come in now, then stop pissing about like amateurs and give them half a million.

Oh, and another thing.... WTF is Ali Russell doing getting involved in our transfer dealings when that's not meant to be part of his job? We were told that Gordon Smith would be doing our transfer negotiating in place of Martin Bain when Smith was initially brought on board. Now Smith says he's had nothing to do with them and that Ali Russell is the man who's working on our transfers along with Andrew Dickson.

Paying �£400K for 3.5 months league and Europa League probably isn't worth it. Paying �£400K to help us earn �£17m probably is worth it. Surely even you can understand that? :D

The player could possibly make a massive difference to our squad between now and January. You say it probably isn't worth it, whereas I say it is worth it. I'd pay up to �£600k to get the player in.

Assuming these stories about us going in with a lower bid than the previous one are true, then I think it's bloody embarrassing. It's not as if we're going back several months later or anything. We're talking about less than 2 weeks between our last bid and the new one. I also don't agree with the argument that he's worth less to us now that his work permit is sorted. That's an absolutely insane piece of logic. A player who you're not sure will be granted a permit is worth LESS than a player who has been granted one. Since we're now trying to buy a player who can walk straight into the team without permit issues, his value has undoubtedly increased.

Sorry Zappa, but cant agree at all. You are looking at this from one side only. Whilst the permit issue wasnt resolved there remained a possibility, albeit slim, that he could have stayed with Orebro if a permit had fallen through. However, with the permit now granted there is absolutely NO WAY that this will happen. That makes the player less marketable to Orebro. He wont be playing for them come January, GUARANTEED. That guarantee wasnt there until we secured a permit. Therefore, they could refuse to sell him in the hopes a permit wasnt granted and he MIGHT re-sign with Orebro. As soon as that permit is granted they know for sure that they are losing him. So, for most, would be better to sell him than lose him 3 months later for nothing.

Yes, he is more valuable to us in absolute terms because the permit is granted. However, the value from an Orebro perspective has plummeted.

These deals need to be looked at from the perspective of BOTH sides because they arent mutually exclusive.

If we really want the player to come in now, then stop pissing about like amateurs and give them half a million.

Again, disagree. Half a million could snare us an additional player. We need help in numbers and I would be comfortable waiting till January to get Bedoya. Perhaps the RFC hierarchy think the same way, hence submitting a lower offer. We have options for the wide positions so there is no need to panic buy. IMO of course.

Oh, and another thing.... WTF is Ali Russell doing getting involved in our transfer dealings when that's not meant to be part of his job? We were told that Gordon Smith would be doing our transfer negotiating in place of Martin Bain when Smith was initially brought on board. Now Smith says he's had nothing to do with them and that Ali Russell is the man who's working on our transfers along with Andrew Dickson.

How do you know it is nothing to do with Russell's job ? Has there been an official announcement from Whyte or his team that Russell would not be involved in transfer dealings ? Or has it been paper talk ? Genuine question as I dont know. Russell's title is commercial director IIRC, which would suggest that he doesnt get involved in transfer dealings but what would I know when I am not involved int he inner workings ??

I would have thought Smith would be a better person there given he has knowledge of the transfer dealings from a number of different aspects.

The player could possibly make a massive difference to our squad between now and January. You say it probably isn't worth it, whereas I say it is worth it. I'd pay up to �£600k to get the player in.

He just as easily could make next to no difference whilst we go and spend the 600k on another player who COULD make a difference.

That 600k could secure us Danny Wilson for the season as a loan fee.

I think we are in more need of Wilson given defensive injuries than we are in need of Bedoya.

All about opinions though.