They have a fraction of our resources and are doing a far better job. In the last 2 or 3 years only 2 youngsters have played regularly for us and one of them is useless.

It's not about comparison, it's about challenging this narrative that Dundee Utd are some sort of run away success story. They aren't, I'd contend that Hearts, Hibs, Kilmarnock and even Hamilton have better records on rearing and nurturing young players. Of the players they mentioned in their press release only Robertson is playing at the highest level and both Celtic and Queens Park can claim some credit for that too.

Most people accept our youth development leaves a lot to be desired however even our list of players is comparable to Utds.

On a sidenote, methinks the Arabs train at St. Andrews University's sports complex, don't they?

It was Dundee University and/or Gussie park (astroturf opposite Tannadice) and/or Camperdown Park (pre-season) when I played for them.

None were ideal as the grass pitches always meant getting changed at the stadium before a 10-15min journey in two mini-buses while the astro pitch was crap.

Edited by Frankie

It's not about comparison, it's about challenging this narrative that Dundee Utd are some sort of run away success story. They aren't, I'd contend that Hearts, Hibs, Kilmarnock and even Hamilton have better records on rearing and nurturing young players. Of the players they mentioned in their press release only Robertson is playing at the highest level and both Celtic and Queens Park can claim some credit for that too.

Most people accept our youth development leaves a lot to be desired however even our list of players is comparable to Utds.

Who are all the players Hearts and Killie have produced? Likewise who have Hibs produced in the last 5 years?

Who are all the players Hearts and Killie have produced? Likewise who have Hibs produced in the last 5 years?

not sure why you would limit it to 5 years.

gordon, lee wallace, tempelton and a clutch of youngsters currently murdering us for hearts. hibs, whittaker brown thomson, riorden etc.

Edited by the gunslinger

Last I looked a good few of the Hearts youngsters were sitting 9 points clear at the top of the Championship.

Well, their line-ups regularly does feature the likes of Alexander, Oztürk, Gomis, Wilson, El Hassnaoui, Pallardo, Buaben, and Sow too. They had to use their youngsters out of necessity and Neilsson managed to get a decent enough mix at this moment and time. Credit where it is due, likewise, we shouldn't get over the top here either. They are playing the same teams that we do and much like it is with us, you would expect that our youngsters and young players should hold their head against these teams - if given the chance.

Edited by der Berliner

i think the lad is right. dundee utd have little to boast of.

do they have anyone produced that's a scotland regular?

Dundee Utd? Hmm, i'm not sure, not off the top of my head. I don't kn ow where this Barca Babes stuff comes from with Utd. Armstrong was their best in the last 5 to 10 years maybe and he is now in his mid 20s, still there and nowhere near the Scotland set up.

Livingston have had a few crackers, Dorrans, Snodgrass and McNulty.

Well, their line-ups regularly does feature the likes of Alexander, Oztürk, Gomis, Wilson, El Hassnaoui, Pallardo, Buaben, and Sow too. They had to use their youngsters out of necessity and Neilsson managed to get a decent enough mix at this moment and time. Credit where it is due, likewise, we shouldn't get over the top here either. They are playing the same teams that we do and much like it is with us, you would expect that our youngsters and young players should hold their head against these teams - if given the chance.

We don't know if they can because they don't get a chance. One of two who does, Aird, is out of his depth at this level.

Hearts have on average every week, a least 50% of their team home grown from their own academy. That is fantastic at any level at any club.

We can learn so much from them.

Edited by Super Cooper