I don't get the nitpicking regards Dundee Utd and youth development. Over a number of decades Dundee Utd have brought through more decent players than any other team in Scotland.

Since 1965, they are one of two Scottish teams to win the League title (outwith OF) and they did so with mainly players they had developed. With the same players, they also got closer to a European Cup Final than I've seen Rangers manage to do in 40+years.

They had some excellent European runs at that time, beating Barca H&A, reaching a UEFA Cup Final and generally punching above their weight due to a well run club with good , effective management.

The sad aspect to this is looking at our own situation and indeed past where we have failed to reach our potential due to having a 'wee outlook' for a big club. We missed out on having an exceptional manager who would have grabbed the club and shaken it out of a relative unprofessional slumber.

We have brought through more players than Dundee Utd, international ones into the bargain. Hibs have also brought through far more than Utd. I'd imagine Celtic have too.

They are vastly overrated. As WGS said, After Armstrong who is now 22, their next proper kid is Soutar who is on the fringes only. Their first 11 is dominated by experienced mediocre foreigners.

We have brought through more players than Dundee Utd, international ones into the bargain. Hibs have also brought through far more than Utd. I'd imagine Celtic have too.

They are vastly overrated. As WGS said, After Armstrong who is now 22, their next proper kid is Soutar who is on the fringes only. Their first 11 is dominated by experienced mediocre foreigners.

Sadly I cannot see a lot more coming through if we continue to operate our football operations as they currently are.

What about Gary Kenneth Scotland international ?.....:ninja:

That doesn't sound right to me but I'm not looking at lists so I'm not saying you are wrong either.

There have historically been obvious reasons why Rangers won't bring through or play as many youngsters as many provincial teams. I was pointing towards a general lack of professionalism at the club over decades allied to not being blessed with an exceptional manager who could recognise the need for change and was strong enough to do it. Part of this was down to the general Scottish/UK attitude to various aspects of the profession.

This has always been a big bugbear of mine.

To see Dundee Utd reach a EC semi-final after watching Aberdeen win the ECWC was frustrating for Bears watching 9 poor European campaigns for every decent one.

Edited by buster.

I don't get the nitpicking regards Dundee Utd and youth development. Over a number of decades Dundee Utd have brought through more decent players than any other team in Scotland.

Since 1965, they are one of two Scottish teams to win the League title (outwith OF) and they did so with mainly players they had developed. With the same players, they also got closer to a European Cup Final than I've seen Rangers manage to do in 40+years.

They had some excellent European runs at that time, beating Barca H&A, reaching a UEFA Cup Final and generally punching above their weight due to a well run club with good , effective management.

The sad aspect to this is looking at our own situation and indeed past where we have failed to reach our potential due to having a 'wee outlook' for a big club. We missed out on having an exceptional manager who would have grabbed the club and shaken it out of a relative unprofessional slumber.

It's not 'nitpicking', United made a strong statement to the media regarding the fee they've to pay for Telfer as somehow hindering player development. They backed that statement up by naming a number of players they've 'developed' since 2006. Had they named Andy Gray, Richard Gough, Kevin Gallagher and Duncan Ferguson you might have a point, but they didn't. That United under Jim McLean produced some exceptional players and sides is beyond debate, but since the turn of the century their player development record is no better than most sides and poorer than some. Thomson and United are trying to claim some kind of football moral high ground that simply doesn't stand up to scrutiny. They should be called on that.

Whether Telfer made the correct decision for his career is moot, time will tell. Young players leave clubs because they think it's best for them. Sometimes they are proved correct, sometimes they aren't.

It's not 'nitpicking', United made a strong statement to the media regarding the fee they've to pay for Telfer as somehow hindering player development. They backed that statement up by naming a number of players they've 'developed' since 2006. Had they named Andy Gray, Richard Gough, Kevin Gallagher and Duncan Ferguson you might have a point, but they didn't. That United under Jim McLean produced some exceptional players and sides is beyond debate, but since the turn of the century their player development record is no better than most sides and poorer than some. Thomson and United are trying to claim some kind of football moral high ground that simply doesn't stand up to scrutiny. They should be called on that.

Whether Telfer made the correct decision for his career is moot, time will tell. Young players leave clubs because they think it's best for them. Sometimes they are proved correct, sometimes they aren't.

Call them up for all you want but don't lose sight of where our real problems ly,............. within our own club.

That doesn't sound right to me but I'm not looking at lists so I'm not saying you are wrong either.

There have historically been obvious reasons why Rangers won't bring through or play as many youngsters as many provincial teams. I was pointing towards a general lack of professionalism at the club over decades allied to not being blessed with an exceptional manager who could recognise the need for change and was strong enough to do it. Part of this was down to the general Scottish/UK attitude to various aspects of the profession.

This has always been a big bugbear of mine.

Oh i do agree with you regards us, we are a midden and have neglected our youth for decades but we have still managed somehow to give more kids a chance in the team and send them onto their own level elsewhere in the game.

Call them up for all you want but don't lose sight of where our real problems ly,............. within our own club.

I'm not losing sight of anything, Dundee United making fanciful claims that are accepted unquestioningly by a supplicant media has nothing to do with our club.