Well, their line-ups regularly does feature the likes of Alexander, Oztürk, Gomis, Wilson, El Hassnaoui, Pallardo, Buaben, and Sow too. They had to use their youngsters out of necessity and Neilsson managed to get a decent enough mix at this moment and time. Credit where it is due, likewise, we shouldn't get over the top here either. They are playing the same teams that we do and much like it is with us, you would expect that our youngsters and young players should hold their head against these teams - if given the chance.

9 players under 22 against 9 over 29 in a starting line up tells its own story.

9 players under 22 against 9 over 29 in a starting line up tells its own story.

It does, in many ways. For Hearts as much as it does for us - and not all of them positive. Give Neilsson some money to work with and you can bet that his average age will jump a little too.

Dundee Utd? Hmm, i'm not sure, not off the top of my head. I don't kn ow where this Barca Babes stuff comes from with Utd. Armstrong was their best in the last 5 to 10 years maybe and he is now in his mid 20s, still there and nowhere near the Scotland set up.

Livingston have had a few crackers, Dorrans, Snodgrass and McNulty.

He turned 22 this year - which to be fair is not old.

I admit though if you go through their first team the only other player (except Telfer) who is young and looks promising is John Souttar (18).

Edited by Waltersgotstyle

I don't get the nitpicking regards Dundee Utd and youth development. Over a number of decades Dundee Utd have brought through more decent players than any other team in Scotland.

Since 1965, they are one of two Scottish teams to win the League title (outwith OF) and they did so with mainly players they had developed. With the same players, they also got closer to a European Cup Final than I've seen Rangers manage to do in 40+years.

They had some excellent European runs at that time, beating Barca H&A, reaching a UEFA Cup Final and generally punching above their weight due to a well run club with good , effective management.

The sad aspect to this is looking at our own situation and indeed past where we have failed to reach our potential due to having a 'wee outlook' for a big club. We missed out on having an exceptional manager who would have grabbed the club and shaken it out of a relative unprofessional slumber.

It does, in many ways. For Hearts as much as it does for us - and not all of them positive. Give Neilsson some money to work with and you can bet that his average age will jump a little too.

He seems to be doing a decent enough job without spending money, who knows perhaps he'd rather Hearts invested in their youth system than spunk it on overpaid over the hill journeymen like some other managers.

Hearts appear to have a long term plan in place whereas we can't even see past f*&king Christmas.

that was 30 years ago.

players who want to develop shouldn't worry about what dundee utd did in the 80's.

No, but they have a long and proven track record in youth development.

IMO Telfer did the right thing for his career, now it's up to him to show he's good enough.

We got a reasonable fee out of it but the sad but inevitable aspect to this, is the shambolic state of the football operation that made Telfer's decision a 'no-brainer'.

He turned 22 this year - which to be fair is not old.

I admit though if you go through their first team the only other player (except Telfer) who is young and looks promising is John Souttar (18).

At 22 he could have potentially 6 years already of first team football under his belt. At 22 he is well into his career. Only 5 more years and he will hit his peak.