New management team: Mark Warburton and David Weir

As per usual, reservations and expections come in from all corners, yet, what ultimately counts is what his crew will manage till - let's say - the end of the year. Then people will have an idea how "Mark Warburton - the Rangers manager" will be like. For the first time in many a year, we will have a manager with his own ideas, no Rangers background, and a relatively free say in who he wants to play for him and in what way. That alone makes for exciting times ahead, especially in the near future and the transfer window.

Meanwhile ... I would assume that his name comes from the place-name Warburton and means ...

Archaeological evidence indicates that the area around Warburton has been used agriculturally since at least the Roman times. In the Domesday Book, the name was Warburgtune which name has evolved to today's 'Warburton'. The suffix –ton means a settlement or farmstead in Old English, indicating that the settlement has pre-Conquest origins. It has been suggested that Warburton was the site of an Anglo-Saxon burgh or defended settlement, called Weard* byrig, established by Aethelflaed, Queen of the Mercians, in 915 during the wars with the Vikings. However, it now seems likely that site lay on the Wales–Cheshire border.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warburton,_Greater_Manchester

... at least according to this text.

*Means warden or protector.

Hope he makes Ibrox a fortress again!

Edited by der Berliner

As I mentioned earlier in the thread there wont be any PLG revolt players in the squad, McCulloch and Boyd were the last of that type and both are off the books. PLG had no chance against Ferguson and Co at the time, they believed in part time hours. Warburton would be coming into a trimmed squad and adding his own players which would be of much relief to me. It senses a team that want to play for him.

Yes and agreed, but PLG has has never achieved what was predicted of him, regardless of us. All managerial appointments are risky is all I meant. I as just imagining that if he does not succeed, those against him will crow that they were right all along and that he is the wrong appointment. They will do so ignoring the point that what often is the right appointment goes wrong for a variety of reasons.

Whoever comes in, I hope that they haven't already indicated to the club that they want to hold on to the players who escaped the recent cull. Other than the inexperienced younger players, they all need punted.

Yes and agreed, but PLG has has never achieved what was predicted of him, regardless of us. All managerial appointments are risky is all I meant. I as just imagining that if he does not succeed, those against him will crow that they were right all along and that he is the wrong appointment. They will do so ignoring the point that what often is the right appointment goes wrong for a variety of reasons.

Yes, the fact that PLG now coaches Oman suggests he's not up to much. I'm sure he could have still been very successful in Scotland if the players were on his side though. He had us playing well in Europe.

Former Brentford boss Mark Warburton will sign a deal with Rangers to become the Scottish Championship club's new manager within the next 24 hours.

The 52-year-old Englishman will be assisted by Rangers' former captain, David Weir, the pair having worked together at Griffin Park.

Talks are understood to be at an advanced stage between the duo and the Glasgow outfit.

Despite speculation, there is no role for former Valencia coach Ian Cathro.

Warburton told BBC Scotland earlier this month he was confident he and Weir had the right attributes for the job.

He said then that the Rangers role was more than about merely "steadying" the club.

"Whoever comes in must appreciate the size of the task in terms of the history of the club and where they have to be," the former Watford youth coach said.

"This is about making significant progress in a designated period of time."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33125007

Yes, the fact that PLG now coaches Oman suggests he's not up to much. I'm sure he could have still been very successful in Scotland if the players were on his side though. He had us playing well in Europe.

He had us playing well until the wee ned Ferguson returned from injury.