The enigma that is Kris Boyd

false dilemma m8 - 1) rangers being 19 points clear etc is nothing to do with boyd's ability - our poor position cant be attributed to his scoring goals. 2) celtic also have 20+ a season goalscorers - but kenny miller, the man in question, isnt one of them.

Its not a false dilema - it is reality, it is what we face year in, year out until we realise that players like Boyd, Adam, Hutton, Burke et al just won't win us the league - not matter how many goals Boyd scores.

Cammy F

I would say to compare Boyd against Mccoist is unfair.

Look at the players that were around McCoist - Laudrup, Gazza etc. Players who could gift him chances and create magic out of nothing.

Boyd on the other hand: burke, sionko - Two example players that can't kick their own arse.

Larsson Aswell had players like lubo around him - Altough Larsson was just sheer class.

I'm kind of confused by the direction this thread is going. Why is the weight suddenly on Boyd's shoulders only in the so called big games? He's a very young goal scorer who more than pulls his weight over the course of a season. Comparing him to Wallace and McCoist is grossly unfair as they were both extremely experienced players before they hit their respective peaks of form with us.

Yes, PLG dropped him, but even he reinstated him as no-one else was scoring regularly. Our problem hasn't been in the "big" games, its been against nearly every other average side in the SPL tbh.

We need a big striker to play alongside him - Hateley, Sutton, Hartson mould IMO to get the best out of him. As well as scoring regularly, Boyd could play off them and also pick up scraps in the box.

Considering how awfully negative we've been over the last few years, I think its a miracle how many goals Boyd has scored recently. If we subtracted his goals from our league position, surely we'd be in deep trouble? He's certainly the most composed and direct finisher we have, so I think he's invaluable.

Since McCoist left we've never replaced him with a natural goalscorer. And while Boyd has a lot to learn, he's incredibly young, so I genuinely don't understand all of the criticism he gets.

I know we were spoiled in the 9IAR years with attacking options, but for 5 or 6 years now we've looked like we have no imagination in the final third of the pitch. We also don't have the players to play a high ball game if we need to get back in a game. Until we sort one or both of those situations out, I think we'll continue to struggle.

Its not a false dilema - it is reality, it is what we face year in, year out until we realise that players like Boyd, Adam, Hutton, Burke et al just won't win us the league - not matter how many goals Boyd scores.

Cammy F

it is a false dilemma cammy. you are asking me whether i would prefer to be 19 points ahead or have a 40 goal a season striker. but its clearly not one or the other - there are much more factors in play, like the quality of surrounding players, for instance.

even though i'd rather be in celtic's position, it doesn't mean its a true dilemma.

Guest brother426

I'd keep Boyd...you can see he's trying to work harder during games and his goals have been the difference between bad and catastrophic seasons for the last 2 years...for older bears...who remembers McCoists early years at Rangers? not exactly a case of hitting the ground running but he improved and hopefully Boyd can too...but i agree we need to put someone up front with him who he can work well with

Cammy F

Players like Boyd will win you the league because they score a lot of goals. As for the rest, you need a balance between workmanlike players and then a few of those really talented & special "big game" players you talk about. I think in terms of their contribution to Gers so far, its unfair to lump Boyd in with those other names though Cammy.

Im with Cammy 100% on this.

Boyd doesnt have it in his game to nick a winner when we need it. Most of his goals are simple that anyone could score, and his misses more than he scores. And his first touch is awful. If Sebo was given a chance we might see him doing the same thing.

Hopefully with McCoist training him he will get better and he has age on his side, but im not confident about winning OF and Euro away games with Boyd and other current players in the team.

Our current position is due to the players we have. When we play average SPL players we will be an average SPL side, we've got plenty in the team and thats why we are 1) so far behind Celtic and 2) just ahead of Hearts and Aberdeen.

Its our better players who are a class above the average SPL player (Ferguson, Hemdani, Prso) who get us out of it half the time and not Boyds goals.

Last night I decided to watch the 'first to 50 video' just to cheer myself up a bit, in fact watching actually depressed me even further. That video is stone-cold sobering evidence of how far we have fallen in a short space of time.

I watched, and it is often easier to admit this is 'retrospect' a Rangers team playing some of the best football I can remember. I watched as players like Mols, Cannagia (sp), De Boer ripped defences apart and most importantly, for this debate, offer an outstanding Barry Ferguson MOVEMENT for him to either set them up, or use them as dummy runners or to play wall passes with them to score himself.

In all honesty, no current player (Prso apart) would have gotten into that first to 50 team driven by Barry Ferguson.

A final mention of RDB - I always thought that Gazza / Laudrup and Cooper were the best / most skillful palyers I have ever seen. I recant that, after watching that video, RDB IS the best player I have seen in a Rangers jersey - he was simply, and I don't say this lightly, WORLD CLASS.

Cammy F