The enigma that is Kris Boyd

I think we have to give Boyd a decent chance in the category A games before we compare him to players such as McCoist and Larsson who have played in more than their fair share.

He does have to do more in games but in terms of goalscoring he's worth his weight in gold no matter what games he actually scores the goals in.

Since he arrived, chances in the bigger games have been few and far between for him and as he gains experience at that level it won't be long before Celtic and the top Euro teams fear him like every other SPL side.

Honestly Frankie, I hope the lad proves me wrong, but I can't see this happening.

Cammy F

Nobody is denying he needs to do more, but you can't ignore his input to the team with his goals, if he hadn't been playing i wonder where we would be sitting in the league, surely his goals, against anybody, are worth points.

Nobody is denying he needs to do more, but you can't ignore his input to the team with his goals, if he hadn't been playing i wonder where we would be sitting in the league, surely his goals, against anybody, are worth points.

ARRRGGGHHHHHH - using your own arguement, no they aren't - if they were, we wouldn't be 19 points adrift.

What I am saying is that for all his goals, Boyd isn't the player required to score the winning goal that will turn a draw into a victory. Something that Rod Wallace (and Ally McCoist) were famed for.

Prso is that type of player, he'll score the winning goal, the goal that is the difference between 1 or 3 points. Look at Craptic - how many games have they scored a winning goal from 80 minutes onwards? That is where we have fallen short this season - we DO NOT HAVE A PLAYER WHO CAN WIN US THESE TYPE OF GAMES...

Cammy F

Correct - we do not have a PLAYER who can win us these types of games - so why is Boyd being SINGLED out as the one that has to do it.

There are plenty others who should be taking responsibility too.

Correct - we do not have a PLAYER who can win us these types of games - so why is Boyd being SINGLED out as the one that has to do it.

There are plenty others who should be taking responsibility too.

Exactly, but Boyd shouldn't be absolved for any of this blame. Also, doesn't take away from the fact that we need this type of player, who will usually also be your top goalscorer.

All I am saying is that IMO, Boyd at this moment in time, and considering he has been here for over a year (and played under 3 manangers) doesn't look like he has this in his locker. He hasn't improved one iota under the previous manager. PLG even dropped him.....

Cammy F

Exactly, but Boyd shouldn't be absolved for any of this blame. Also, doesn't take away from the fact that we need this type of player, who will usually also be your top goalscorer.

Cammy F

cammy, for my money you are making your analysis of him far, far too simple.

these things are not in doubt:

1. he's scored at every level he's played

2. he scores a lot of goals

3. he's currently in a very uncreative team

also

4. he hasn't scored against celtic

5. he hasn't scored in europe

however, he's young and he's not had that many opportunities, and always against a much stronger celtic side than we've had. its just too early to judge him, though i can appreciate we all have gut-insticts about players.

OK, I'll ask you this question....

Would you rather have Rangers 19 points clear in the SPL (only 3 victories from scuring the title) and be playing in the last 16 of the CL against AC Milan without a 30-40 goalscorer on you books, or be in the position we are in?

I know what I'd take.

Also, please try and take on board what I am saying - IMO (and its only an opinion) he hasn't demonstrated enough to me to suggest that he is a player who will score regularly enough in the 'big games'.

If you are content with us being 19 points adrift in the SPL thats fine, it just doesn't sit well with me. We need 10 new players IMO and one of them is to replace Boyd

Cammy F

OK, I'll ask you this question....

Would you rather have Rangers 19 points clear in the SPL (only 3 victories from scuring the title) and be playing in the last 16 of the CL against AC Milan without a 30-40 goalscorer on you books, or be in the position we are in?

I know what I'd take.

Cammy F

false dilemma m8 - 1) rangers being 19 points clear etc is nothing to do with boyd's ability - our poor position cant be attributed to his scoring goals. 2) celtic also have 20+ a season goalscorers - but kenny miller, the man in question, isnt one of them.