The Summer Transfer Rumour Round-up Thread

I like Garner, I've seen him quite a bit & I think he'd score lots of goals here. But...

He's bumped around in the lower reaches of England for quite a while, always impressing but usually succumbing to injury at the wrong moment. I'm not certain there's any resale value in him whatsoever, any English club which was going to take a gamble would have done so years ago.

Against that is I suppose that he is probably the fourth or fifth target we have tried to land. If players don't want to come, there's not much can be done. I was told, whther right or not I have no idea, that Danny Graham, the Swansea striker, was being pursued earlier in the summer (apparently he has family in the north of England, Geordie or somewhere like that, & the idea was he might not mind working in Glasgow for a season and a half), but the money made it a non starter. Even if that was hooey, it does highlight the drawbacks of the market we seem to prefer to operate in.

Is it only me that is exasperated about the number of lower league inferior quality players we are being linked with, or has-beens with injury concerns, but again all coming from the English market.

There must be a whole host of decent (better than current players) centre halfs around Europe's equivalent leagues that would jump at the chance to come to Rangers. Are we even looking at the Polish, Swiss, Belgian, Croatian, etc leagues to see what is there?

Any time I see football from the English Championship downwards it is truly awful in terms of ability and skill, vastly overhyped and overpriced, yet this is the market we seem to be exclusively trying to work in.

Terribly insular for my liking.

I like Garner, I've seen him quite a bit & I think he'd score lots of goals here. But...

He's bumped around in the lower reaches of England for quite a while, always impressing but usually succumbing to injury at the wrong moment. I'm not certain there's any resale value in him whatsoever, any English club which was going to take a gamble would have done so years ago.

Against that is I suppose that he is probably the fourth or fifth target we have tried to land. If players don't want to come, there's not much can be done. I was told, whther right or not I have no idea, that Danny Graham, the Swansea striker, was being pursued earlier in the summer (apparently he has family in the north of England, Geordie or somewhere like that, & the idea was he might not mind working in Glasgow for a season and a half), but the money made it a non starter. Even if that was hooey, it does highlight the drawbacks of the market we seem to prefer to operate in.

Danny Graham hasn't been at Swansea since 2013 :D I'm sure I read earlier in the summer that both us and Celtic were after him.

Is it only me that is exasperated about the number of lower league inferior quality players we are being linked with, or has-beens with injury concerns, but again all coming from the English market.

There must be a whole host of decent (better than current players) centre halfs around Europe's equivalent leagues that would jump at the chance to come to Rangers. Are we even looking at the Polish, Swiss, Belgian, Croatian, etc leagues to see what is there?

Any time I see football from the English Championship downwards it is truly awful in terms of ability and skill, vastly overhyped and overpriced, yet this is the market we seem to be exclusively trying to work in.

Terribly insular for my liking.

I've often thought that myself. Why aren't we having a wee look at the Belgium or Croatian leagues! There's normally gems tobe found there!

I've often thought that myself. Why aren't we having a wee look at the Belgium or Croatian leagues! There's normally gems tobe found there!

I don't think we have the scouting network to do that. McParland and Warburton know English football so that's what we get.

I don't think we have the scouting network to do that. McParland and Warburton know English football so that's what we get.

which is shame. we could be paying over the odds (wages wise) for someone whose equivalent (in Belgium/Croatia etc) could be younger and hungrier to succeed!

I know these things dont happen overnight, but that is over a year and not a sniff of any other market apart from England? Are we genuinely saying we have nobody watching European league football, even on the telly and then trying to see a player that will fit our system, then send for scouting reports?

I just find it incredible we are not able to bring in a centre half from anywhere in the world within our budget and playing style that is better than Wilson or Kiernan. I cannot believe that there are not dozens that would be better.