The Summer Transfer Rumour Round-up Thread

He's still one of the best 2 central defenders available at the moment, so I can't blame Warburton for picking him.

Yes, Kiernan and Wilson are better than Kiernan and Hill and although I liked Wilson and Hill, I agree that Kiernan and Hill are the best we've got but I think most everyone agrees that they are not good enough. Personally I prefer Wilson to Kiernan but that's a bit like saying who I would vote for if I had a vote in the American election.

Then he will. But he isn't at that stage yet. As an unemployed free agent he can sign for a team at any point in time, the transfer window means nothing to him other than gaining match fitness.

Taking "what he can get" at Ibrox, implies that there is no queue of potential employers, which is not a great testimony to his current abilities.

Edited by Uilleam

No disrespect intended but our poll means almost nothing. Kiernan gets a very bad rap, sometimes deserved but sometimes not. Wilson hasn't been much better than Kiernan, if indeed at all.

You love to talk about records but what these players have done elsewhere means virtually nil to us. If that was the case then Celtic should never have signed Leigh Griffiths as he scored only one goal in League 1.... but scored 40+ last season for them.

The Championship has vastly better players than any plying their trade in Scotland.

I don't see you bringing up past records for players such as Waghorn or Halliday - and they didn't exactly make it at Championship level either.

What Kiernan does here is what is important, not what he did elsewhere - for example we could use Stephane Guivarch and say "World Cup winner, definitely buy him" - still proved a bust at Rangers though.

We need better than both Wilson AND Kiernan to be fair.

Senderos may be a decent shout as he is decent in the air and physical - and we are learning fairly quickly that Scottish teams are going to use "lump it" tactics against us so that type of player is clearly needed.

I will concede that you make some good points here. The reference to the poll was just an indication of opinion on here nothing more.

I disagree about Waghorn, as I've said before he was a proven Championship player with Leicester and Wigan as well as Hull and Millwall on loan and whilst he only scored 1 in every 5 games in England he has proven he can score more at Championship level here. Time will tell what he can do in the SPFL. I agree that Halliday didn't break through at Championship level but I think he found or would have found his level in League One and was one of our better players last season.

It's also true that some players however good their pedigree simply don't settle at a new club, don't get on with the manager, can't adopt to the style of play, get injured etc etc and vice versa.

Yes, Kiernan and Wilson are better than Kiernan and Hill and although I liked Wilson and Hill, I agree that Kiernan and Hill are the best we've got but I think most everyone agrees that they are not good enough. Personally I prefer Wilson to Kiernan but that's a bit like saying who I would vote for if I had a vote in the American election.

Hillary has Parkinson's and suffers seizures... best to vote The Donald - and then start building your nuclear bunker :D:ninja:

Taking "what he can get" at Ibrox, implies that there is no queue of potential employers, which is not a great testimony to his current abilities.

And I would agree, hence why I said last week I didn't think he was what we needed.

But the question should surely be "would he improve what we already have" and I'm inclined to think that he surely cant be worse than Hill, Kiernan & Wilson, can he ?

If we were going to buy a 37 yr old like Hill, I would have preferred we had sprung for Kolo Toure who I think is far superior to Senderos, even though he is 4 yrs older. Toure and I would have been happy. But we are where we are and we know we need a decent CB - one who should be a regular starter.

I will concede that you make some good points here. The reference to the poll was just an indication of opinion on here nothing more.

I disagree about Waghorn, as I've said before he was a proven Championship player with Leicester and Wigan as well as Hull and Millwall on loan and whilst he only scored 1 in every 5 games in England he has proven he can score more at Championship level here. Time will tell what he can do in the SPFL. I agree that Halliday didn't break through at Championship level but I think he found or would have found his level in League One and was one of our better players last season.

It's also true that some players however good their pedigree simply don't settle at a new club, don't get on with the manager, can't adopt to the style of play, get injured etc etc and vice versa.

This is my point. What they have done previously means little. Therefore, talking about Kiernan's past means little. So to use his "failing" in the Championship or League 1 is unfair. You only need to look at Torres, too, for an example of someone who looks a world beater at one team and a month later looks like a pub player at another team.

I remember someone once telling me "It isn't where you came from that counts, it is where you are going" - using that analogy on Kiernan what really matters for him is whether he can cut it where he is NOW and whether he can improve enough to warrant a starting slot. Me personally, I think he has some very good moments but he is far too suspect positionally and sometimes "overplays" things and puts team mates in danger. Can he correct those ? Only MW & DW will be able to find out.

Funnily enough though, at least on Saturday, I didn't think that we were in any danger of conceding a goal through the central defensive pairing. Set pieces is our Achilles heel and you cant just blame the CB's for that - we are a fairly small team and will get taken advantage of because of it - what we would give for someone like big Marvin right now - a brick wall who will put the fear of God into any opponent when that ball comes into the box.

£1.8M !!!!!!!

Preston striker Joe Garner has agreed to join Rangers, talkSPORT understands.

Following defeat to Fulham on Saturday, Lillywhites boss Simon Grayson confirmed Rangers' interest in the 28-year-old hitman, who moved to Deepdale from Watford three years ago.

The Scottish giants' bid of around £1.8m has been accepted and the player is keen to move north of the border, with Rangers boss Mark Warburton again exploiting the English market as he looks to bolster his striking options.

Garne, who has scored 57 goals in 148 games for the Lancashire side, is expected to travel to Glasgow on Tuesday for a medical and to complete the formalities on a three-year-deal.

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/preston-striker-joe-garner-join-rangers-talksport-understands-160815206473#LtDyiTo0xovV6fsV.99

Me personally, I think he has some very good moments but he is far too suspect positionally and sometimes "overplays" things and puts team mates in danger.

Regarding Kiernan you're obviously not the only one who has concerns about him and his tendency to sometimes "overplay" things. I watched the Dundee game on a Rangers TV stream with Hugh Burns as one of the commentators.

At one stage I think it was late in the second half Kiernan gets the ball in a danger area with Dundee players lurking nearby moving in on him and I could hear the agitation in Burns voice as he said something like "clear it just clear it"

Kiernan basically just kicked the ball away out of play near the halfway line and I think it went into a side stand or close to going into it and Burns obviously relieved says "there you go, that's all you need to do, it's simple"

So, will Garner start on Saturday? He's obviously match fit already since he has been playing for Preston but does that mean they can just throw him in? Bench place? Get a run on the hour?

Have advocated since MW came, and watching his tactics,that we need to hit row zz with the ball and not always try to play out of trouble.

Also that our forwards should be able to hold the ball in the corner when we need to see a game out.

Therefore it was good to see an old fashioned clearance especially one that is alien to MW's tactics.