The Summer Transfer Rumour Round-up Thread

And if I remember correctly the first sight of one Konterman, Bert, Centre-half (purportedly)

I was ten minutes late switching on the Holland/Germany game and thefirst image on the screen is a wee German forward out-jumping our Bert who is nowhere near getting his head to the ball. No surprise, really. His eyes were shut.

Did the rocket goal against the tims make up for all the rest?

Re Numan, it was between him and Roberto Carlos for the best left back in world football in 1998. It was quite an amazing coup that Advocaat managed to persuade Numan to come to Rangers. He is easily the best full back I have ever watched in person. Pace, power, accuracy in passing, and first and foremost a fantastic defender. Roberto Carlos had more goals about him with his famous free kicks but Numan was better defensively.

Sorry for continuing this thread a bit OT, but Numan was absolute class, and I doubt we will ever see his quality again playing in Scotland.

He was injured far to much though

Agree, he missed a lot of time with injuries, but he didnt ever look settled at the club. We even tried him in midfield (like Ricksen after him) just to get him out of the defence. If rumours at the time were true Advocaat had the choice between Valgarren (sp) and Konterman and we let the Belgian go to the tims and Advocaat took the Dutchman as he thought he would bed in better with the other Dutch players already at the club.

In hindsight, the signings of the two Dutch bombscares, Konterman and Ricksen for a combined £8.5M was the worst bit of business done in that era, considering not only the fact both were poor players, but the Dutch contigent then became too big and it led to dressing room cliques that ultimately cost DA his job.

That third summer under Advocaat was when he had the chance to really kick on both domestically and in Europe, but we made a mess of the purchases and we have never recovered.

Agree, he missed a lot of time with injuries, but he didnt ever look settled at the club. We even tried him in midfield (like Ricksen after him) just to get him out of the defence. If rumours at the time were true Advocaat had the choice between Valgarren (sp) and Konterman and we let the Belgian go to the tims and Advocaat took the Dutchman as he thought he would bed in better with the other Dutch players already at the club.

In hindsight, the signings of the two Dutch bombscares, Konterman and Ricksen for a combined £8.5M was the worst bit of business done in that era, considering not only the fact both were poor players, but the Dutch contigent then became too big and it led to dressing room cliques that ultimately cost DA his job.

That third summer under Advocaat was when he had the chance to really kick on both domestically and in Europe, but we made a mess of the purchases and we have never recovered.

Ricksen was a far superior player than Konterman.

Re Numan, it was between him and Roberto Carlos for the best left back in world football in 1998. It was quite an amazing coup that Advocaat managed to persuade Numan to come to Rangers. He is easily the best full back I have ever watched in person. Pace, power, accuracy in passing, and first and foremost a fantastic defender. Roberto Carlos had more goals about him with his famous free kicks but Numan was better defensively.

Sorry for continuing this thread a bit OT, but Numan was absolute class, and I doubt we will ever see his quality again playing in Scotland.

Can't disagree with any of that.

I would say that Numan was the best LB in the world at the time. It was really only he and Carlos who competed for that title and, whilst Carlos added goals to his resume, Numan was a significantly better defender - that was in a time when defenders were still expected to defend. The fact he was better defensively gave him the nod over Carlos for me.

Also a quality human being from all accounts, and one who still holds us close to his heart.

Some of the players we had from that era were absolute top quality - Numan, GvB, Mols, Klos - the list is endless - but some of them truly were world class. Will take a long time, if ever, for us to see their likes again.

Can't disagree with any of that.

I would say that Numan was the best LB in the world at the time. It was really only he and Carlos who competed for that title and, whilst Carlos added goals to his resume, Numan was a significantly better defender - that was in a time when defenders were still expected to defend. The fact he was better defensively gave him the nod over Carlos for me.

Also a quality human being from all accounts, and one who still holds us close to his heart.

Some of the players we had from that era were absolute top quality - Numan, GvB, Mols, Klos - the list is endless - but some of them truly were world class. Will take a long time, if ever, for us to see their likes again.

We really should have done better in Europe