The Summer Transfer Rumour Round-up Thread

Much as I hate to say it, I think our days of shopping in the EPL for players is over. The average salary is 30k pw (which is obviously loaded by the like of Rooney and Yaya etc) but even so, I couldn't see us being able to afford Dorrans, McArthur or Morrison. All are Rangers supporters and you would hope that that warrants a reduction in earnings, but at the end of the day, they are professional players and could probably earn double what we could pay from clubs in the English championship. Not for me, Geoff!

McArthur is probably the only one who could be fulfil the defensive midfield role, the other two are more box-to-box players.Probably more chance of Ball returning on loan than of us signing any of the aforementioned EPL players.

For me, I would be interested in seeing if Crooks is likely to be utilised at CB or DM, and whether this is as a first team regular or a squad player.

McArthur sits deep, but I'm not sure he's a DM per se. He's more of a box-to-box midfielder that works for the team: bursts a gut to get forward and back, to win the ball back etc., but then offloads it to a better player. He always plays alongside a DM; Cabaye in CP's case, who is a more of a regista, creative DM. Even at Hamilton he would play beside a proper DM in McCarthy. He'd be an excellent addition to the squad, but I'm not sure if he fits with what Warburton wants. However, I think MW would prefer a creative DM -- still able to protect the back four and organise -- rather than a defensive DM, so a box-to-box midfielder may be a good support?

Where has the McArthur chat come from? He's contracted for a further 2 years at CP.

According to Transfermarkt Morrison is out of contract this summer but I don't see him as a Warburton type player and I'd imagine wages would be an issue.

McArthur sits deep, but I'm not sure he's a DM per se. He's more of a box-to-box midfielder that works for the team: bursts a gut to get forward and back, to win the ball back etc., but then offloads it to a better player. He always plays alongside a DM; Cabaye in CP's case, who is a more of a regista, creative DM. Even at Hamilton he would play beside a proper DM in McCarthy. He'd be an excellent addition to the squad, but I'm not sure if he fits with what Warburton wants. However, I think MW would prefer a creative DM -- still able to protect the back four and organise -- rather than a defensive DM, so a box-to-box midfielder may be a good support?

In a Palace environment where they play a 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 formation, you can have the creative DM and the ball winning DM. MW has made it clear that his formation is 4 - 3 - 3. This really doesn't leave much room for two DM players, particularly when we are playing in Scotland. Europe would be a different situation and I do wonder if MW will be a bit more pragmatic if or when we get there?

Exclusive: Rangers boss lines up move for Championship winger ahead of Premiership return

RANGERS have launched a bid to sign Fulham winger Ben Pringle.

Ben-Pringle-666810.jpg

Express Sport can reveal that Pringle, who is currently on loan at Ipswich Town, is giving serious consideration to a summer switch to Ibrox.

The 26-year-old will make a decision on his future after his final game for Ipswich on Saturday.

Pringle, who can also play in central midfield, joined Fulham last year and still has a year left on his contract.

He would need to come to a settlement over that unless Rangers are able to agree a transfer fee with the English Championship club.

Pringle, who would become one of the top earners at Ibrox if he moves, is well known to manager Mark Warburton.

He tried to sign Pringle for Brentford in 2014 but Rotherham refused to sell him.

Rangers have already secured the signatures of Accrington Stanley pair Josh Windass and Matt Crooks on pre-contract arrangements.

Warburton has set his sights on making an additional five signings for next season.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/666810/Exclusive-Rangers-Boss-Warburton-Lines-Up-Move-For-Championship-Star-News

Edited by ian1964

In a Palace environment where they play a 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 formation, you can have the creative DM and the ball winning DM. MW has made it clear that his formation is 4 - 3 - 3. This really doesn't leave much room for two DM players, particularly when we are playing in Scotland. Europe would be a different situation and I do wonder if MW will be a bit more pragmatic if or when we get there?

Agreed. McArthur could occupy a central bearth, but wouldn't offer much offensively (unlike Holt and Halliday -- when he plays further forward) and would more likely be a support player. The 4-3-3 is flexible, so when we have Halliday and Ball, it sort of becomes a double pivot (2 DM's), but Halliday is fairly offensive anyway. A McArthur in there would create a double pivot, providing more strength and steel in the midfield. It's all about getting the right mix. I think McArthur would be a good, but unlikely, addition.

Where has the McArthur chat come from? He's contracted for a further 2 years at CP.

According to Transfermarkt Morrison is out of contract this summer but I don't see him as a Warburton type player and I'd imagine wages would be an issue.

Didn't realise McCarthur had signed a contract extension last year. Makes it a lot less likely but you can never tell the English market.

Like you say wages would be an issue for Morrison so, despite his claims about wanting to play for Rangers, it's probably a non-starter even if his experience might have been useful.

Much as I hate to say it, I think our days of shopping in the EPL for players is over. The average salary is 30k pw (which is obviously loaded by the like of Rooney and Yaya etc) but even so, I couldn't see us being able to afford Dorrans, McArthur or Morrison. All are Rangers supporters and you would hope that that warrants a reduction in earnings, but at the end of the day, they are professional players and could probably earn double what we could pay from clubs in the English championship. Not for me, Geoff!

McArthur is probably the only one who could be fulfil the defensive midfield role, the other two are more box-to-box players.Probably more chance of Ball returning on loan than of us signing any of the aforementioned EPL players.

For me, I would be interested in seeing if Crooks is likely to be utilised at CB or DM, and whether this is as a first team regular or a squad player.

Warburton or someone else said already that Windass and Crooks were only squad players. That can obviously change if they can prove themselves worthy of a first team spot.

Sone Aluko is in there for 1.8M...I wouldn't mind seeing him back again, done very well in his short time with us if I remember correctly...maybe 1.8M might be a bit of a stretch right enough.

Aluko like all on the lists above is a freebie this summer, for it is a list of players who's contracts expire at the end of this season ;)