Barton *thinks* he's still a Rangers player

What we need is for the MF to be back to a high-energy tempo. First Halliday and then Holt playing at their best as they were, up to and including the SC semi.

You have to remember last term we had Ball sitting also. I think that has had an impact on the Midfield though.

You've got to laugh at the Record article though!

''Record sport understands'', ''according to our sources'', ''It's understood''......................blah! blah! blah!...........and then finishes of with this

The 34-year-old arrived at Ibrox in the summer as something of a reformed character but carrying a long rap sheet of misdemeanours.

In May 2008 he was sentenced to six months’ imprisonment for common assault and affray during an incident in Liverpool City Centre and spent a total of 77 days behind bars.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-manager-mark-warburton-joey-8844419

Edited by ian1964

Barton ended up as our last line of defence when we were down to 10 men and playing 3 at the back without a centre half.

He was entitled to his opinion about how we arrived in that situation but only if it was constructive criticism in a reasonable manner.

He has been caught in possession too often for my liking but has demonstrated his ball winning ability and a great range of passing.

I too was surprised at his signing given his record of violence but he has been the victim of two over the ball tackles so far in his short Rangers career and didn't react; I'd say cut him a bit of slack.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

Getting a bit fed up of this Barton side show. I think he's a very capable player but hasn't been fit for us. He should've got out of his media commitments and got a full pre season under his belt. Turning up on the 1st July 2 weeks or so behind the rest of the boys and it shows. Get off Twitter for a few months, do your talking on the park!

Give him a fresh start Monday and hope he comes back a footballer instead of a personality

You have to remember last term we had Ball sitting also. I think that has had an impact on the Midfield though.

Yeh, tbh Rossiter suits that role perfectly and Barton is surplus imo. I won't be in the slightest fussed if he goes, take Kranjar

And his sun lounger with him!!

What we need is for the MF to be back to a high-energy tempo. First Halliday and then Holt playing at their best as they were, up to and including the SC semi.

That is actually a point I made earlier with regard to people saying Barton (and Kranjcar) slowing us down. We nigh all agreed that we haven't played for most game bar the semi-final ever since the turn of the year, being slower and less direct and whatnot. With no Barton or Kranjcar in sight. As I pointed before, by then, teams in the league knew how to play us (and Premiership teams of lesser technical ability took note), digging in and trying to catch our defenders on the break. WIth a varying degree of success. While our tempo game hit the blocks and we had to outsmart the opposition.

We all to a man agreed that our defence needed cover though, despite the heroics of Halliday and Ball in defensive midfield. We got Barton to do that and he's obviously not the Messi-type of guy who runs the show as the media-hysteria now makes you think. Is he slowing us down? How so? His job is to break up the opposition and supplying the creative folk afterwards. I can't think of a game where he did not do this job adequately. We win and we lose as a team and e.g. on Saturday, quite a few were well below par, e.g. McKay. But Barton's got a greater profile to hit, right? Because he is ... outspoken!

Re Kranjcar ... you can't pick him for every game, but when he is picked, he hardly slows us down, but uses his range of passing to break brick wall defenses. Likewise, he depends on others making the correct runs. And the latter does not involve Barton. He needs a Holt, Windass, McKay, Forrester and Tav to get into positions. Did he get that? Not on Saturday, where Tav was pecked back, McKay largely anonymous (by his standards), Miller all over the place and Windass facing up to two Yahoos more often than not. And thus it was him challenging for lose balls and trying get us going. People asked for Plan B if A doesn't work, IMHO Kranjcar is very much a Plan B variety to our "high-tempo at them" game, not least when the opposition rarely leaves their own half. Thus, we may very well see him feature tomorrow, should the Highlanders come down to us with a dun mentality.

Perhaps it is just me, but it seems there is a neat "hysteria" in the making with this "Joey and Niko slowing us down" mantra, similar to the one that has taken root with "our defence being rubbish". Every time they will touch the ball now, people will keep a closer than necessary look at them and find what they are looking for, no problem. Worked well with unsettling our defenders.

Edited by der Berliner