Transfer Rumours and Deals - Winter Window 2016/17

I'm puzzled why people don't think we need midfielders, it's clearly the area of the pitch that needs strengthened first. I really like Halliday and Holt but they simply aren't good enough to move us to the next level. We need central midfielders who can take the ball under pressure from the back and dictate play. Teams are closing us down too easily, denying us space and forcing us to play it long. Obviously Kranjcar was meant for this as was Barton. Warburton's philosophy and style is based on dominating possession and that requires midfielders who can dominate the game, McKay apart we don't have any just now. We're so slow and pedestrian at times, we need quicker thinkers and faster movers in midfield. I'm far from convinced the two loan signings are the answer though.

On a sidenote, AIK Solna have just sold Alexander Isak for Euro 9m to Borussia Dortmund, a 17-year old striker said to be Sweden's next Ibrahimovic. So there is talent to be found out there ... and if we can snatch some like Ofori for next to nothing, all the better.

BTW, much like Ibrahimovic, Isak won't strike you as the archetypical Swede ...

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/bundesliga/startseite/669387/artikel_hochkaraetiges-sturmtalent_bvb-bestaetigt-isak-coup.html

Edited by der Berliner

I'm puzzled why people don't think we need midfielders, it's clearly the area of the pitch that needs strengthened first. I really like Halliday and Holt but they simply aren't good enough to move us to the next level. We need central midfielders who can take the ball under pressure from the back and dictate play. Teams are closing us down too easily, denying us space and forcing us to play it long. Obviously Kranjcar was meant for this as was Barton. Warburton's philosophy and style is based on dominating possession and that requires midfielders who can dominate the game, McKay apart we don't have any just now. We're so slow and pedestrian at times, we need quicker thinkers and faster movers in midfield. I'm far from convinced the two loan signings are the answer though.

You're right in that Holt and Halliday need to be replaced to let us step up. Unfortunately we need to look across the city to see where we need to be and neither of them are close to Brown or Rogic. Having said that, I don't think those two are untouchable, we should be able to beat them man for man in the middle.

Why? They're hardly undiscovered leagues, are they? The African Cup of Nations will be hoaching with scouts, Madrid have signed a kid from the Swedish league. And anybody who's watched the A League for any time will know it's mostly absolutely fuqing terrible but that good prospects will be snapped up: Man City's owners even have a club in the A league. We should look for players everywhere we can but the idea that there's all these world class players who've stayed mysteriously hidden from everyone else and we can pick up for no money is surely a pipe dream.

They are completely untapped markets for us!!!

The fact that many big teams are already well connected with leagues around the world tell you that there is talent there to be had.

As for picking up "world class players" for "no money"....many of these league are not blessed with the finances of the EPL/SerieA/Bundeslige/La Liga etc, therefore they don't have the over inflated transfer fees, so there is potential of picking up decent players at reasonable prices.

I think Halliday/Holt as a combo is perhaps not good enough, but individually if they had better midfielders around them, they could do a job and be successful.

Oh to have a 23yo Barry Ferguson again...

Billy Gilmour is only 15 but playing for the under 20's so hopefully we may have someone on the way up. That is if he is not wrestled away from us when he turns 16.

It is alright saying Holt/Halliday in some peoples opinion have not stepped up in level but if they have to be ousted it will have to be by ones who are playing already at that higher level otherwise it will be of no use.

They are completely untapped markets for us!!!

The fact that many big teams are already well connected with leagues around the world tell you that there is talent there to be had.

As for picking up "world class players" for "no money"....many of these league are not blessed with the finances of the EPL/SerieA/Bundeslige/La Liga etc, therefore they don't have the over inflated transfer fees, so there is potential of picking up decent players at reasonable prices.

With the state of our finances, we'll get is what's left after everyone else has looked at and doesn't want. Scouting in Togo or Uzbekistan is being presented by some as a magic bullet that will resolve our predicament--champions league aspirations with a Conference budget. Of course there's always the chance of a gem but ultimately, we'll get what we pay for. I keep hearing we've had bad value from the english leagues recently. I disagree. If we spend the same sort of money in Eastern Europe or Ghana, we'll end up with a very similar outcome: players with talent but flaws or honest triers lacking quality.

With the state of our finances, we'll get is what's left after everyone else has looked at and doesn't want. Scouting in Togo or Uzbekistan is being presented by some as a magic bullet that will resolve our predicament--champions league aspirations with a Conference budget. Of course there's always the chance of a gem but ultimately, we'll get what we pay for. I keep hearing we've had bad value from the english leagues recently. I disagree. If we spend the same sort of money in Eastern Europe or Ghana, we'll end up with a very similar outcome: players with talent but flaws or honest triers lacking quality.

I certainly don't disagree, but the markets that we are currently looking into, are not yielding players of a suitable calibre.

we need to cast the net wider - bringing in players from teams below us in the league is not a positive route forward in the long term - it is also a VERY small possible pool of signings.

Shopping in the lower leagues down south can yield positive signings, if done carefully.

We REALLY need to shop/spend wisely, especially when on such a tight budget.