[FT] Celtic 2 - 0 Rangers

And here was me thinking that preventing a goalscoring opportunity with the hands was regarded a penalty in the area, and the cards handed out are for it being deliberate or not. As I said above, we have seen penalties given for much less obvious handballs, and non-deliberate ones. That was probably the reason why Miller was adamant that it was a penalty. At the end of the day, we can't change it now.

Only if, in the opinion of the referee, it's deliberate.

It doesnt have to be deliberate thats nonsense.

An advantage has to be gained and arms have to be in an unatural position.

I havent seen this so have no idea if its a penalty but it does not have to be deliberate.

Heres a quote from the fifa guidelines.

However, if a player’s arm is in an unnatural position, for example outstretched or above their head, then a foul should be awarded whether accidental or not.

Edited by the gunslinger

It doesnt have to be deliberate thats nonsense.

An advantage has to be gained and arms have to be in an unatural position.

I havent seen this so have no idea if its a penalty but it does not have to be deliberate.

Heres a quote from the fifa guidelines.

However, if a player’s arm is in an unnatural position, for example outstretched or above their head, then a foul should be awarded whether accidental or not.

As I explained earlier, having your arms in an unnatural position means that in effect the handball would be deliberate because you deliberately have your hands in that position.

Now we could spend all week debating what constitutes an unnatural position but I doubt that would be very productive.

However, I'll give you two examples of what FIFA mean. A winger is about to cross the ball, the defender inside the box has his hands outstretched, the winger crosses the ball which strikes the outstretched arm of the defender. It's a penalty.

A defender jumps up to head the ball with his hand high in the air and "accidentally" touches a cross. It's a penalty because the act of having your arm in the air when you are trying to head the ball is unnatural.

The Celtic defender was trying to get up from the ground, his hands and arms were where they were because of that motion, ergo not unnatural. No penalty.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

Never a hand ball and never a penalty , you cannot give penalties for these type of incidents , if he had reached out to touch the ball it's totally different

I have said this for many year but it is worth repeating it here. I wish football would take an example from Hockey where the rule is more about feet than hands. If the puck hits your foot, its a foul. It is up to you as part of the game to ensure the puck doesnt hit your foot. A well used tactic is to try to hit the foot in order to gain an advantage, especially in the penalty box.

This takes all the debate out of it and makes it so simple. Keep your hands away from the ball or you are penalised - end of. It is football and hands have no part to play for 20 of the players.

I have said this for many year but it is worth repeating it here. I wish football would take an example from Hockey where the rule is more about feet than hands. If the puck hits your foot, its a foul. It is up to you as part of the game to ensure the puck doesnt hit your foot. A well used tactic is to try to hit the foot in order to gain an advantage, especially in the penalty box.

This takes all the debate out of it and makes it so simple. Keep your hands away from the ball or you are penalised - end of. It is football and hands have no part to play for 20 of the players.

I think that's a really interesting approach to apply it in football and one I'd be supportive of, at least as a trial. I can just imagine players deliberately trying to flick the ball onto a defender's hands to earn a penalty. It would certainly add more to the anticipation and excitement as players get inside the box. It would also lead to more goal scoring opportunities because a defender's natural balance and mobility would be hampered if they had to hide their arms at all times.

I like it!

As I explained earlier, having your arms in an unnatural position means that in effect the handball would be deliberate because you deliberately have your hands in that position.

Now we could spend all week debating what constitutes an unnatural position but I doubt that would be very productive.

However, I'll give you two examples of what FIFA mean. A winger is about to cross the ball, the defender inside the box has his hands outstretched, the winger crosses the ball which strikes the outstretched arm of the defender. It's a penalty.

A defender jumps up to head the ball with his hand high in the air and "accidentally" touches a cross. It's a penalty because the act of having your arm in the air when you are trying to head the ball is unnatural.

The Celtic defender was trying to get up from the ground, his hands and arms were where they were because of that motion, ergo not unnatural. No penalty.

Isnt accidental the opposite of deliberate

Oh aye great idea.

Messi beats 4 men nutmegs the last defender putting him on his arese. Then instead of shooting he turns back casualy nudges the ball onto the prone defenders arm, picks up the ball and walks to the penalty spot.

Fuck me

Edited by the gunslinger