[FT] Rangers 0 - 2 Motherwell

Ryan Bowman insists he did not intend to hurt Fabio Cardoso despite the Rangers defender suffering a broken nose in the League Cup semi-final clash.

The Motherwell striker was involved in two incidents where he appeared to elbow the Portuguese defender, with the second leading to a hotly contested flash point in the game.

He escaped punishment for the clash that left Cardoso with a broken and swollen nose, which in turn incensed Rangers boss Pedro Caixinha.

His complaints from the technical area led to both Caixinha and Motherwell manager Steve Robinson being sent to the stand.

Bowman was only shown a yellow card for the initial clash in the sixth minute but the Englishman felt that was the right decision by referee Steven McLean.

"It's the way I jump," he said after the game. "I use my elbows for leverage, most strikers do that.

"I've out-jumped him but his head hit my elbow. The first one is a yellow card.

"The second one, it's one of them, it happens in football all the time. But it's how I jump. I haven't intended to hurt him."

Ryan Bowman insists he did not intend to hurt Fabio Cardoso despite the Rangers defender suffering a broken nose in the League Cup semi-final clash.

The Motherwell striker was involved in two incidents where he appeared to elbow the Portuguese defender, with the second leading to a hotly contested flash point in the game.

He escaped punishment for the clash that left Cardoso with a broken and swollen nose, which in turn incensed Rangers boss Pedro Caixinha.

His complaints from the technical area led to both Caixinha and Motherwell manager Steve Robinson being sent to the stand.

Bowman was only shown a yellow card for the initial clash in the sixth minute but the Englishman felt that was the right decision by referee Steven McLean.

"It's the way I jump," he said after the game. "I use my elbows for leverage, most strikers do that.

"The second one, it's one of them, it happens in football all the time. But it's how I jump. I haven't intended to hurt him."

So if it is a yellow for the first one then why is it not a yellow for the second?

Jumping into a challenge with elbows up ... I don't think they'll train that wherever he learned football. "His head hit my elbow" ... alternative reality perception?

BTW, unless I am mistaken, he was yellow carded for trying to pulp John's ankle? Or was that even whistled upon?

So if it is a yellow for the first one then why is it not a yellow for the second?

I think he's implying the first one was a bit dodgy, maybe slightly reckless, but the second was ok as it was "just one of those footballing things", where he seems to be saying he one the header and then Cordoso's jump made his nose hit his elbow that was there legitimately.

BTW I'm trying to interpret it, doesn't mean I agree with him.

There we go folks....situation now resolved. It was actually Cardoso's fault for hitting his head against Bowman's elbow. That being the case, I fully expect the compliance officer to issue at least a retrospective yellow card, possibly red for dangerous play, to Fabio Cardoso.

'MORE FOOL THEM' Motherwell star Ryan Bowman dismisses Rangers players as IDIOTS after Betfred Cup win

The Well frontman also branded Pedro Caixinha's flops 'disrespectful' after their failed #winorwin rallying call.

MOTHERWELL star Ryan Bowman has dismissed Rangers players as IDIOTS.

Ibrox boss Pedro Caixinha insisted before yesterday’s clash that his stars had only two options – win or win.

Gers players including Daniel Candeias and Fabio Cardoso later used #winorwin in their social media posts ahead of Cup semi-final.

But the rallying call soon fell flat after a double from Louis Moult dumped Rangers out of the competition in what proved to be a Hampden horror show.

And Well frontman Bowman says the trending Twitter hashtag only fired Stephen Robinson’s side up more.

He said:*“Everyone was writing us off outside of Motherwell.

“A few of the Rangers players were even tweeting ‘win or win’ on the back of their manager saying they had two options — win or win.“That was a bit disrespectful, but it just gave us even more fight and fire.

“If their players want to tweet that then more fool them, their players look like the idiots now!”

Meanwhile battered Rangers stopper Cardoso confirmed last night that he suffered a broken nose after being elbowed TWICE by Bowman.

Bowman was booked just six minutes in after catching the Portugese defender in the face.

But it was his flying elbow in the second-half that drew blood and ended the defender’s game – sparking a touchline tear up.

Cardoso wrote on Twitter: “We were not able to meet our goal of reaching the final, time to see what we did wrong and work even harder to reach the other objectives.

“Thank u for all the support messages, I am fine just a broken nose. We will be back more stronger on Wednesday.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/1737930/motherwell-ryan-bowman-rangers-idiots/

Ah the old ''his nose ran three yards straight into my elbow excuse. funny enough a lot of the Rangers players were running into people's elbows all afternoon yesterday. They'll be advocating a national Run Into Someone's Elbow day shortly.

Edited by aweebluesoandso

So, yet another loss in what was a big game. Where do we go from here? And just how much should we be angered by yet another performance from a referee which allowed the opposing team to pretty much kick us off the park?

There’s going to be plenty said in the next few days. For many fans, the time for Caixinha is up. Personally, I’m still undecided, and I can see arguments either way. The only frustration I have is with those who just a week ago were enthused by the progress, and are now calling for major changes. I believe that’s too reactionary either way.

Yesterday, I feel that the players were more to blame than the manager. Certainly, Motherwell caught some luck with the avoidance of red cards in the first half as well. However, we missed too many chances, and we let our game fall apart after the first goal, and it wasn’t good enough. It was telling that Caixinha pretty much criticised the players, not something he’s done too often, after the game, and barely mentioned the influence of the referee. He could have taken that excuse and ran with it, but he’s fully aware the players let themselves down.

. . .

http://www.rangersnews.uk/columnist/rangers-v-motherwell-talking-points-another-big-game-disappointment/