[FT] Rangers 0 - 2 Motherwell

If you think people want Rangers losing or even just playing like we are just to prove a point then you should possibly see your shrink. Take the guy that agreed with you to see him as well.
If your telling me sbs isnt desperate to be proved right i respectfully disagree.

I get frustrated at the result influencing the perceived performance of the players. Just because we win doesn't mean they all played well, and vice versa, just because we lose doesn't mean they were all trash, and deserving to be "removed from the club" forthwith.

Windass was poor, in taking chances -- he hit the 'keeper twice from what I recall, when putting it to the corner is a guaranteed goal; he needs to work on instinct and shooting -- and perhaps his 'fight', -- which only appears on these threads when we lose -- but he got into these chance-scoring positions. I was disappointed with Pena, but he should've actually scored too; he was also quite poor against St Johnstone, but scored twice.

I don't see how the Manager is responsible for a player's, or players', inability to hit the back of the net from 6 yards? The Manager's only responsible for getting them up to that point. BUT, PC will have to take responsibility for this, as is his job, and he will lose it if these results continue.

The Referee was atrocious -- two bad head knocks that drew blood, and he played on?! -- and although it played it's part -- it's always going to be easier with a man advantage... sometimes -- it was not the reason we lost. We lost because we couldn't take our chances. They did.

Edited by Rousseau

Calmed down a bit now, so thought I would put my more 'rational' thoughts down now:

1. Dominated the opening 30 minutes and had chances to open the scoring.

2. Poor goal to concede from the corner, but generally we have made massive improvements in that area. I do not suffer heart palpitations every time we concede a corner now, as I did last season!

3. Motherwell should have had at least 2 red cards. Foul on Morelos in the first half was a potential leg breaker, and the boy that broke Cardoso's nose obviously was under instructions to take out anything that moved. He was lucky not to have been sent off, even before the elbow in Cardodo's face. Alves will probably pick up a retrospective red card for lashing out at Moult, who retaliated as well, but as the ref booked him, presumably for that, then not sure if he can receive a further punishment.

4. Windass is showing why we spent 75k on him, that's the level of performance you can expect for that kind of money. Jersey is too heavy for him. Could have had two goals and Moult showed him how to lob a goalkeeper. I don't think that Windass' attempted lob reached the goalies knee. He was tried in a variety of positions, LM, RM and No 10 and did nothing in each.

5. Pena was totally non-existent in the first half, but bizarrely was responsible for the through ball for Windass only for him to pass it kindly into the goalie.

6. Moult took his goals well, particularly the second.

7. Perhaps we as Rangers fans now need to park our snobbishness when it comes towards players in 'provincial Scottish teams' being linked to us. I remember Moult being mentioned as a target for us in the past transfer window, and the amount of people stating that 'he's no Rangers class' was ridiculous. We are not going to go after the Scott Sinclairs of this world for a long time to come.

8. We are too soft as a team both under Warburton and now Pedro. Can you imagine Souness, Ferguson, Gough allowing the opposition to break a team mates nose, with no retaliation? Unfortunately Scottish refs have declared war on Rangers and the opposition is being allowed to physically dominate us.

9. Does Pedro need to go? He is just not answering the questions being posed to him, but I would give him until the end of this season. Reason being that the players he has brought in could potentially down tools. It does appear that there are language cliques in the change room and I don't believe that we have a united team to begin with. So any new manager coming in will again need to get rid of half a dozen players. We should be building on a foundation and be adding quality players every window, rather than ripping the guts out and starting over.

10. If we ever needed a reality check on where we are, that match just delivered it to us - We are in a fight for best of the rest with Aberdeen, St Johnstone, Motherwell and Hibs.

Hope we have the fight in us, just struggling to see which players are up for it.

6975975.png?display=1&htype=0&type=mc1

For all those pissing and moaning about Caixinha, this is what we are up against. Rangers NEED to speak out about this. I don’t care if people call it “Tim behaviour”. It isn’t. When they were moaning about referees it was their systematic victimhood kicking in. This is simple assault on our players. And it is going unpunished. In fact, it is being encouraged.

Calmed down a bit now, so thought I would put my more 'rational' thoughts down now:

1. Dominated the opening 30 minutes and had chances to open the scoring.

2. Poor goal to concede from the corner, but generally we have made massive improvements in that area. I do not suffer heart palpitations every time we concede a corner now, as I did last season!

3. Motherwell should have had at least 2 red cards. Foul on Morelos in the first half was a potential leg breaker, and the boy that broke Cardoso's nose obviously was under instructions to take out anything that moved. He was lucky not to have been sent off, even before the elbow in Cardodo's face. Alves will probably pick up a retrospective red card for lashing out at Moult, who retaliated as well, but as the ref booked him, presumably for that, then not sure if he can receive a further punishment.

4. Windass is showing why we spent 75k on him, that's the level of performance you can expect for that kind of money. Jersey is too heavy for him. Could have had two goals and Moult showed him how to lob a goalkeeper. I don't think that Windass' attempted lob reached the goalies knee. He was tried in a variety of positions, LM, RM and No 10 and did nothing in each.

5. Pena was totally non-existent in the first half, but bizarrely was responsible for the through ball for Windass only for him to pass it kindly into the goalie.

6. Moult took his goals well, particularly the second.

7. Perhaps we as Rangers fans now need to park our snobbishness when it comes towards players in 'provincial Scottish teams' being linked to us. I remember Moult being mentioned as a target for us in the past transfer window, and the amount of people stating that 'he's no Rangers class' was ridiculous. We are not going to go after the Scott Sinclairs of this world for a long time to come.

8. We are too soft as a team both under Warburton and now Pedro. Can you imagine Souness, Ferguson, Gough allowing the opposition to break a team mates nose, with no retaliation? Unfortunately Scottish refs have declared war on Rangers and the opposition is being allowed to physically dominate us.

9. Does Pedro need to go? He is just not answering the questions being posed to him, but I would give him until the end of this season. Reason being that the players he has brought in could potentially down tools. It does appear that there are language cliques in the change room and I don't believe that we have a united team to begin with. So any new manager coming in will again need to get rid of half a dozen players. We should be building on a foundation and be adding quality players every window, rather than ripping the guts out and starting over.

10. If we ever needed a reality check on where we are, that match just delivered it to us - We are in a fight for best of the rest with Aberdeen, St Johnstone, Motherwell and Hibs.

Hope we have the fight in us, just struggling to see which players are up for it.

Me too Davie, i have calmed down a lot from yesterday, as i can usually except defeat with some grace. Even when the tims do us i can admit they are the better team, but what i saw yesterday was not football it was basically a mixed martial arts cage fight without the cage obvious;y.

Rangers weren't particularly good yesterday, but at least we tried to play football. Motherwell on the other hand came with a plan to , a plan to batter us out the game, from the very off, if you watch the highlights over again, they were using the elbow, even the wee terrier winger, who i thought was a stand out for them, was elbowing our defenders from the whistle. So it was clearly a game plan. Some of the challenges, a few of them late as well were shocking, the one were Morelos was swiped off his feet from a late rear tackle was a red all day long.

If the club don't come out and highlight this thuggery, then they are neglecting the health and safety of their employees.

Kevin Thomson did a series of interviews recently and he spoke about joining Rangers. The interviewer (an ex-Celtic player I'd never heard of) asked him if he noticed a big difference in the training from his time at Hibs, no, he replied, the Rangers squad I joined wasn't great, PLG had just left and recently appointed Walter Smith was rebuilding. Thomson explained that when playing Celtic Smith instructed his players to turn the game into a fight, a battle. Celtic had better players and if Rangers went toe-to-toe with them football wise Celtic would win, but turn the match into a battle and Rangers would. Thomson said that's what Rangers did. There's a famous clip of Thomson putting a thunderous tackle onto Robbie Keane then throwing him to the ground as he begins to remonstrate. Rangers bullied Celtic into submission.

I was reminded of this watching yesterday's match.

We actually looked quite good for the first half hour or so. Composed, knocking the ball about and controlling the match, but for all that we didn't create many actual chances and our final ball was poor. But once Motherwell remembered they were in a cup semi-final we'd no answer. They wanted to win more, they'd a greater desire and most damning for me they finished the stronger side when they should have been on ropes hanging on for a result. We chucked it with 15 minutes still to go. That's particularly galling as the Motherwell defence contained more than one bomb-scare in it.

I don't remember seeing a more anonymous performance from a Rangers player than from Pena yesterday. Surely Holt, or even Hardie, or dare I say it Miller, would have contributed more to the match? Windass at least was involved in the match for spells, albeit he was poor. Singling players out is unfair though as there's a collective lack of leaders and winners in the side. No team should chuck it with 15 to go in a cup semi-final, particularly no Rangers side. The experienced players, the Dorrans, the Jacks and the Alves need to take responsibility for that.

The ref did have a poor match, but so did the ref in the semi-final the day before. If we blame the ref for yesterday's result we're never going to address the problem. Scottish football is physical, too physical, it has been for years. However that's the league we play in and those are the types of sides we need to beat. So buy players and use tactics accordingly. Because rest assured every other player and manager in our league watched that game yesterday and saw a Rangers side that doesn't like a battle and will chuck it when the going gets tough and so will use those exact tactics against us.

Edited by JohnMc

Kevin Thomson did a series of interviews recently and he spoke about joining Rangers. The interviewer (an ex-Celtic player I'd never heard of) asked him if he noticed a big difference in the training from his time at Hibs, no, he replied, the Rangers squad I joined wasn't great, PLG had just left and recently appointed Walter Smith was rebuilding. Thomson explained that when playing Celtic Smith instructed his players to turn the game into a fight, a battle. Celtic had better players and if Rangers went toe-to-toe with them football wise Celtic would win, but turn the match into a battle and Rangers would. Thomson said that's what Rangers did. There's a famous clip of Thomson putting a thunderous tackle onto Robbie Keane then throwing him to the ground as he begins to remonstrate. Rangers bullied Celtic into submission.

We actually looked quite good for the first half hour or so. Composed, knocking the ball about and controlling the match, but for all that we didn't create many actual chances and our final ball was poor. But once Motherwell remembered they were in a cup semi-final we'd no answer. They wanted to win more, they'd a greater desire and most damning for me they finished the stronger side when they should have been on ropes hanging on for a result. We chucked it with 15 minutes still to go. That's particularly galling as the Motherwell defence contained more than one bomb-scare in it.

I don't remember seeing a more anonymous performance from a Rangers player than from Pena yesterday. Surely Holt, or even Hardie, or dare I say it Miller, would have contributed more to the match? Windass at least was involved in the match for spells, albeit he was poor. Singling players out is unfair though as there's a collective lack of leaders and winners in the side. No team should chuck it with 15 to go in a cup semi-final, particularly no Rangers side. The experienced players, the Dorrans, the Jacks and the Alves need to take responsibility for that.

The ref did have a poor match, but so did the ref in the semi-final the day before. If we blame the ref for yesterday's result we're never going to address the problem. Scottish football is physical, too physical, it has been for years. However that's the league we play in and those are the types of sides we need to beat. So buy players and use tactics accordingly. Because rest assured every other player and manager in our league watched that game yesterday and saw a Rangers side that doesn't like a battle and will chuck it when the going gets tough and so will use those exact tactics against us.

That's correct john, but you're too late with your analysis, because managers have been using the thuggery tactic from the start of the season against our team. We were poor and have been poor in other games so far this season, but and it's a huge but, we can't excuse other teams over physicality and intimidation as just part of the game in Scotland, because they now know referees are turning a blind eye to imo.

Completely agree with JohnMc. First up will be Kilmarnock then a real test against Hearts away. Both these teams will employ a physical game against us and if we are not up for it we will lose.

Edited by les186

But how is it fair if the tactics that they use are illegal by the laws of the game? What is even the point in continuing?

Thomson’s tackle was a cruncher yes, but we’re now talking about players getting broken bones and it being deemed acceptable (well when it’s a Rangers player).

But how is it fair if the tactics that they use are illegal by the laws of the game? What is even the point in continuing?

Thomson’s tackle was a cruncher yes, but we’re now talking about players getting broken bones and it being deemed acceptable (well when it’s a Rangers player).

Cardoso caught Moult with his elbow in the first half. I would say it was accidental but Moult and all Motherwell fans would disagree.