[FT] Rangers 0 - 2 Motherwell

If we had took our chances we might have won that game, if had won it how many would still be moaning about Motherwell's thuggery and the referee's seemingly blindness to it? I would be win or lose our players getting assaulted is never acceptable, i think most of us would agree, hopefully?

If we had took our chances we might have won that game, if had won it how many would still be moaning about Motherwell's thuggery and the referee's seemingly blindness to it? I would be win or lose our players getting assaulted is never acceptable, i think most of us would agree, hopefully?

I think I'd be moaning regardless. Like I've said, both Cardoso and Moult went down with head-knocks, drawing blood, and he played on. Irrespective of the result, it was abysmal refereeing and dangerous.

We were dealing with the physicality well - Cardoso and Morelos certainly gave it out too -- until they scored a couple; then we chucked it.

Most games this season have had dubious refereeing decisions against us - win, lose or draw.

The only non-controversial game I can remember is the 0-0 draw with Hearts at Ibrox.

My thoughts:

I thought we were actually the better team on the park...I don't think we played anywhere near as bad a many are making out. The truth is that M/well scored one REALLY scrappy goal, where the ball could have gone anywhere, and a second with a fantastic bit of finishing from Moult - an attempt that more often than not would have missed. Other than that, I only really recall them having one clear chance (cleared off the line). We, on the other hand had a lot of good chances - some very clear cut ones. We also had several spells of VERY heavy pressure in & around their box.

Bottom line - They took their chances....we didn't.

As for the refereeing....we are better than blaming the refs performance for losing the match, and I for one certainly don't think the refs performance overall caused us to lose. However, his performance was shocking. It's no wonder PC was getting as worked up as he was. Some of the decisions were jaw-droppingly bad - even more so considering there are 4 officials watching the game. I will concede that Morelos does tend to go down far too easy & can therefore sometimes make it difficult for Refs to make a decision, but there were several incidents yesterday that the Ref had a clear view of, and were very clear that the players were NOT putting it on. Playing a physical game is one thing, but some of the challenges recently went way beyond that. I wouldn't go as far as saying the players "need protection", but simply enforcing the rules properly & evenly would take of the worst of the challenges. Fabio Cardoso getting his nose broken by a leading arm/elbow - Anyone expect the compliance officer to apply a retrospective (2nd)yellow or red card for Bowmans challenge??? (I'll not hold my breath). The Moult/Alves incident.....I think was born out of frustration more than anything. There was shots of them moments after, looking relaxed, chatting & shaking hands. They both should have been off the park regarless though.

There was still some slack play/passing, but in general I though we moved the ball pretty well. I thought the defence looked more robust (in general), and we did produce some wonderful attacking moves.

I don't think PC will be on his way out anytime soon, but I do think a "dossier" of refereeing incidents MUST be presented to the relevant authorities & also widely circulated round the press.

Mostly agree. We looked the better side for an hour or so and certainly should've been out of sight. We had to take some of those chances and instead we responded badly to the first and appallingly to the second. There's an ok team in there somewhere but we're not putting games to bed and are easily got at.

The ref didn't miss the chances but his performance was an absolute fucking fiasco.

Here is a Penalty decision from PSV v Heracles at the weekend. The offence(if it is one) is at least a yard outside the box. The Linesman and the referee should have seen that. Secondly it was agreed that if a penalty is given then a yellow card is suffice as you are getting punished double. As I say bad refereeing is everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpfCqIh5PGg

I think I'd be moaning regardless. Like I've said, both Cardoso and Moult went down with head-knocks, drawing blood, and he played on. Irrespective of the result, it was abysmal refereeing and dangerous.

We were dealing with the physicality well - Cardoso and Morelos certainly gave it out too -- until they scored a couple; then we chucked it.

I agree it wasn’t solely the physicality that lost us the game. We had chances and didn’t take them. Would we have been allowed to be physical back though? Morelos was hit twice in the first half and then Pena in the space of five mins. Nothing. If we had been sliding in from behind and throwing arms everywhere, we all know the outcome.

I keep saying the players know what’s going on. It’s draining them and they are losing belief. Still silence from the club re officials. It’s left to Alves?

It looks like the manager is absolving himself from yesterday's defeat by telling the players ,you embarrassed the club the fans and himself just how long are the support going to swallow this bullshit or more important the boardroom .

It looks like the manager is absolving himself from yesterday's defeat by telling the players ,you embarrassed the club the fans and himself just how long are the support going to swallow this bullshit or more important the boardroom .

Managers routinely throw players under a bus, or try to blame it on a big boy that ran away. However one of the few that was up for the fight, was Pedro. He wants a reaction from the players, same as he hoped after the Selik game, i think he's flogging dead horse here tbh, these guys want to play football not fight, it would be great if we could get both out of them?

Edited by aweebluesoandso

I don't think anyone is suggesting that we would have won the game with better refereeing or that there isn't bad refereeing elsewhere, the problem for us is that, like Pedro losing or drawing games, it seems to happen too often and too blatantly to us.

We can see that it is affecting the way teams play us as they can get away with it with impunity, and even say they are going to do it beforehand in the press.

Now, when you are a team that is trying to play football in a modern way, to the modern rules, in choosing players and tactics appropriately, and setting up your gameplan, is it really fair that we end up getting opposition and a referee playing a completely different game that would not be allowed in other countries?

Is it right to say that players should just get on with it and expect them to play just as well as they would under the circumstances, especially when they get sent off for a lot less and so have a very uneven playing field?

How much do we hear from Celtic and English sides about how they went to South America for the World Club Championship, tried to play football and got kicked off the park, which meant they lost?

It seems to me that one of the reasons over the years why the other clubs in Scotland have had some good results against us and then get slaughtered by low ranked teams in Europe is that they don't get away with the physical side from the referees, and therefore can't compete with their foreign peers who have developed football skills and tactics rather than trying to win by thuggery.

What are we supposed to do, instead of trying to play a modern version of tactical and skillful football, should we instead bring in a basic manager who is more concerned about bring in big, strong, tough guys and training them to win the "battle" instead of winning by skill? Isn't that what McCoist ended up doing?

In the end, even if it didn't make a difference to the result, the repercussions are pretty significant, where all we're going to see in Scotland are bruising, low skill encounters, with half our players out with bad injuries.

But it's worth repeating, Rangers are not allowed the same freedom to use these tactics, either by the referee, the CO and in the eyes of most of the MSM. We are handicapped here, and no matter which manager we have, we cannot compete for the title and at the moment, for second place carrying that huge handicap.

There still is more to it, as perhaps our players aren't psychologically up for it - and really what is wrong with them being and wanting to be footballer rather than brawlers?

For me, as a football nation, I would rather we went the other way a bit and were overly strict on the physical side of the game, and encouraged development of skills and tactics.

Even if it didn't help us in Europe and internationally (which I think it would) at least we'd have more a enjoyable product to watch when it's always going to be our staple diet, until the next generation all become fans of EPL teams. And it might just prevent that becoming an inevitability.

Edited by calscot