Rangers 0 v Hamilton 2 - Post match discussion

At least today will hopefully dispel the notion that Murty would be a worthwhile appointment. Today showed what we already know - we are a woeful football team. The problem is, regardless of whom the board appoint, we're going nowhere. I see on other forums a prevailing notion that we need to go back to basics and that all that matters is getting a strong Rangers team together that can get back at the tims next season. What we really need is a root and branch clearout and a complete overhaul of our archaic infrastructure. The Scottish national side is exactly the same. Whilst the current board are infinitely better than the previous one, which accounts for little given the last willingly wished to do us harm, they've shown nothing to suggest they're fit to be running our club. The current board is looking increasingly like the one that instigated the original mess. All we're missing is DM.

We need to look at Iceland, what Sean Dyche has done at Burnley etc. Invest in youth, apply strategic planning. For as far back as I can remember we have been a complete mess of a club. I couldn't really give a fuck if Celtic win the next few titles because at this rate it's happening regardless. We need to finally get savvy and develop a sustainable long term plan. Something focusing on youth, global scouting and playing football the way it is intended. We play in one of the worst leagues in world football, yet we have one of the largest supports. It really shouldn't take much to get us back to some sort of respectable position. What we really need is a Fergus McCann type and in typical Scottish fashion, it seems only blind luck will find it.

What worries me most of all is the current Rangers board do not seem to know who to appoint as the next Rangers manager.

If it was McInnes would it not have been done by now? He has a get-out clause in his contract I believe.O'neil too.

Which makes me to think we may end up wih another Pedro-type appointment. A big risk.

The midfield without pena doesn't work. It's always behind the ball. When we break the ball is mostly always in front of us instead of us having options ahead of the ball. Morelos is a one man band up there while miller sits within the back four.

Miller isn't only a man down on the pitch and completely disrupting the formation and tactics hes shite at picking a starting 11 too. His and all the other players should have zero input in player selection.

We will never change, have gave up completely. Too many players, club employees and fans that can't see the big picture. They are so focused on beating celtic that we cannot build anything remotely resembling a football team.

We will never be a modern team, our days are numbered. Playing in a dying league, emulating tiny team mentalities.

Pedro should never have been sacked. He had the attributes we need right now and can't find ,within budget ,anywhere else at this moment. He had to be given seasons to build ,not months. Next window he could have gotten rid of miller, Wallace and anyone else who wants to disrupt the team. The time to judge him was at the end of the season but as is our way we flung the toys out the pram all because we can't handle the pressure that comes with building something new at the club.

The boards to blame just as much as the support. No realism or preperation for the times ahead.

The midfield without pena doesn't work. It's always behind the ball. When we break the ball is mostly always in front of us instead of us having options ahead of the ball. Morelos is a one man band up there while miller sits within the back four.

Miller isn't only a man down on the pitch and completely disrupting the formation and tactics hes shite at picking a starting 11 too. His and all the other players should have zero input in player selection.

We will never change, have gave up completely. Too many players, club employees and fans that can't see the big picture. They are so focused on beating celtic that we cannot build anything remotely resembling a football team.

We will never be a modern team, our days are numbered. Playing in a dying league, emulating tiny team mentalities.

Pedro should never have been sacked. He had the attributes we need right now and can't find ,within budget ,anywhere else at this moment. He had to be given seasons to build ,not months. Next window he could have gotten rid of miller, Wallace and anyone else who wants to disrupt the team. The time to judge him was at the end of the season but as is our way we flung the toys out the pram all because we can't handle the pressure that comes with building something new at the club.

The boards to blame just as much as the support. No realism or preperation for the times ahead.

Agreed. I’m praying Miller retires this season as it seems a formality that he’ll be offered another contract.

Where am I being positive? I don't gloss over it either, but at times, football is just football. As you say, it is a huge issue, yet it should be tackled with reason and not what goes on above.

"at times, football is football"? Yes - but what we have are systemic, repetive failings and we don't play in a country where "football" is any kind of the real thing.

Continually missing chances to score is not bad luck; it is bad play, and bad play that has gone unaddressed for far too long. Scoring goals from decent chances is a basic footballing skill, many would say the most basic and the most important. We are shite at it, as we are at many other basic footballing skills. We routinely miss the target or put it close enough to the keeper for him to save when there is no need to do so. Then we ludicrously laud their keeper for having a "world class game", week after week. In Scotland. Aye, right.

We are in an atrocious league, truly abysmal in fact, and, alas, we fit right in. Support apart, we are a useless team from a useless league. The Europa Cup ahows year in, year out where Scottish football is. We even managed to be more embarrassing than the rest of the SPFL there.

Edited by SteveC

I agree with you. The board has made an error in sacking PC when we did. We appeared to be playing to a system for the first time in years, and although it wasn't as effective as we'd want it to be, it surely deserved a season or two to enable the manager to sort out the various positions. Pena has been dropped, and bizarrely is now being made a scapegoat by both Murty and the fans. As far as I remember Pena was the one scoring goals and developing the play in the final third. I've seen him play many times and he is a class player, despite how his movement looks sometimes. If there is anyone on here who couldn't see that, in my opinion you don't know football.

This board has had my support, and I'll always be thankful to DK for what he has done to save us, but someone really needs to take control soon and lead this club. We need strong leadership that's going to be tough enough to support a manager and give him time. I thought they would do that. There's no coincidence that the world's most successful club had so few managers. We appointed someone and then supported them. We now appoint and discard like the other unsuccessful clubs. It's stupid and counter productive. It's also a slippery slope to be perceived to be supporting a player over the manager's decisions and that's what happened here with Miller. It was poorly managed by the board (and Murty) and I'm disappointed that so-called business men couldn't see that this was a bad move. There are consequences to managing situations badly like that and we are paying the price, and will continue to do so. As fans, we are also responsible and we have to take a long hard look at ourselves. Many of our so called supporters decided to oppose the manager before he even had one game with the club. And many others decided that a few bad results were enough to merit the sack. We are not what we were once, and have a long way to go to get back to that. And yet for some that is not appreciated. I've said it many times, but the thought of fan ownership is a frightening one for me. I'd rather have a single strong leader in charge rather than having many of my fellow fans decide. There are risks of both approaches, but in my opinion the chances of a single person screwing it up is a possibility. Our fans demonstrate that the chances of the them (us) screwing it up is a certainty.

Edited by Gaffer

What worries me most of all is the current Rangers board do not seem to know who to appoint as the next Rangers manager.

If it was McInnes would it not have been done by now? He has a get-out clause in his contract I believe.O'neil too.

Which makes me to think we may end up wih another Pedro-type appointment. A big risk.

Thing is that no matter who will be appointed, certain quarters (one or another) of the fan-hood will not be satisfied and give him bother. Hence, it would be totally "cool" if people would actually name their first and second choices so one can pin them down to that should said choice gets appointed and then loses a couple of games and is being shot down in flames by the same people.

While some can't help it, yesterday's game showed nothing about Murty's qualities. It showed that in a game of football the team that scores the goals wins. We had 6 or more 100% chances and failed to find the net. Sometimes it simply is as simple at that and does not need to be put under the microscope.

As for today's game, somewhere up there I gave my remarks of what Murty could have done. Not that much, bar bringing Kranjcar in earlier and hooking Windass. Next week, I'd play 4-4-2 or 3-5-2, as Morelos surely needs a partner, not wandering folk like Windass and Miller.

Niko Kranjčar is actually less effective than Josh Windass. There is a reason he rarely features.

The obvious change would be Herrera in for Miller.

There is also a question about the central defence.