Mark Allen on his role ar Rangers

Went to watch Barca last year at the Camp Nou and Messi was terrible. He was also man of the match. No tracking back and at times looked uninterested but in a 5 minute period he picked the ball up at the half way line and ran towards goal beating 3/4 players before passing to Neymar for a tap in. Exact same goal twice in under 5 mins. Barca won 2 nil due to Messi exploding into action. He's a different breed mind

Went to watch Barca last year at the Camp Nou and Messi was terrible. He was also man of the match. No tracking back and at times looked uninterested but in a 5 minute period he picked the ball up at the half way line and ran towards goal beating 3/4 players before passing to Neymar for a tap in. Exact same goal twice in under 5 mins. Barca won 2 nil due to Messi exploding into action. He's a different breed mind

I wish the unfairness was taken out of Scottish football but give me the blood and guts football anyday. Ckuf that poofy Spanish football, not worth watching for tuppence. I have it on freeview and have never got past 15 minutes of it.

I wish the unfairness was taken out of Scottish football but give me the blood and guts football anyday. Ckuf that poofy Spanish football, not worth watching for tuppence. I have it on freeview and have never got past 15 minutes of it.

You've got a fair point, when players dont have the ability and natural talent then blood and guts and togetherness with a strong XI can have an impact - although usually in one off games. Momentum, team spirit and determination is all just as important. Look at the Gers side in 92-93 who got so close in the CL, there wasnt a world class player in the team but they had all the other factors. There was some quality players but not world class and we were a goal away from the CL final. Hard work did as much.

*Pete watching Spanish Football*

giphy.gif

Back to the original thread it’s still not clear how a DoF and manager can work together if the manager is entirely responsible for tactics, selection, signings but the DoF is responsible for making sure that aligns with academy, health and well-being statistical analysis and scouting. It could only work if Mark Allen has a vote with the Board on Murty’s signings. Otherwise Murty might sign players which don’t align to the overall philosophies of player development and required mental and physical aspects. Murty must present his requests to the Board and they surely must expect input from Allen? The final say cannot be Murty or we have learned nothing from the years of McCoist, Warburton and Caixinha where we must have blown many tens of millions of pounds and have little quality at the club. For example I would expect that a DoF should have had input into whether we sell a young talent or not. It may not be the only input or final input but I don’t see how it can work otherwise. In some cases the DoF will prevail and in others the manager.

If you look at some of the main players at Barca and how many career games they've played, it's clear they know what they are doing in relation to 'sports science', training, approach to games, result.

Over the past few years Barca have clocked up a relatively large number of games in which the 'usual suspects' don't often get or need to be rested. Messi is a good example of this and at 30 years old has played 608 games for the club (526 goals).

The only two others with more appearences for Barca are Xavi (767) and Iniesta (649).

Others in the top 10 include Puyol (593), Busquets (456), Pique (418).

Back to the original thread it’s still not clear how a DoF and manager can work together if the manager is entirely responsible for tactics, selection, signings but the DoF is responsible for making sure that aligns with academy, health and well-being statistical analysis and scouting. It could only work if Mark Allen has a vote with the Board on Murty’s signings. Otherwise Murty might sign players which don’t align to the overall philosophies of player development and required mental and physical aspects. Murty must present his requests to the Board and they surely must expect input from Allen? The final say cannot be Murty or we have learned nothing from the years of McCoist, Warburton and Caixinha where we must have blown many tens of millions of pounds and have little quality at the club. For example I would expect that a DoF should have had input into whether we sell a young talent or not. It may not be the only input or final input but I don’t see how it can work otherwise. In some cases the DoF will prevail and in others the manager.

The manager doesn't deal with the board...he deals with the DoF. Between them, they decide on new signing etc. The DoF then puts it to the board & takes care of the admin & negotiations. Freeing up the manager to look after tactics & training etc.

The DoF is the conduit between the manager and the boardroom - between trackies & suits (if you will)

If you look at some of the main players at Barca and how many career games they've played, it's clear they know what they are doing in relation to 'sports science', training, approach to games, result.

Major foreign clubs have always been ahead of us in sports science buster.

When Denis Law played in Italy he got fined by his management for eating a steak on the night prior to a match after he'd been instructed to eat only white meat and pasta. He also received a fine for having a beer instead of a red wine. Treatment like that led to him hiding in Joe Bakers car boot and smuggling himself out that country.

We'd Baxter getting pished on a nightly basis.

Never mind the ball pete, just 22 guys having a square go on any random field (actually there might be some PPV value in that? Lol)