[FT] Celtic 4 - 0 Rangers (McCrorie Sent Off)

5 minutes ago, Big Jaws said:

Thats some attitude to have. It's Rangers we're talking about. Any manager who is ambitious should want to be the man.

If you're a manager who is happy for example to stay at a provincial club like Aberdeen, Kilmarnock or Motherwell then a) You're a fan of that club, b) you are learning your trade and you feel its too early, c) you have no ambition d) you are a jobbing manager happy to take a wage without pressure. If a manager doesn't want to work at one of the worlds biggest clubs then they were never good enough in the first place and I wouldn't want them at the club.

If we are as attractive a proposition as you are portraying why is it taking so long to appoint a manager of true quality? 

Wishful thinking isn't going the get us anywhere.

6 minutes ago, Big Jaws said:

Thats some attitude to have. It's Rangers we're talking about. Any manager who is ambitious should want to be the man.

If you're a manager who is happy for example to stay at a provincial club like Aberdeen, Kilmarnock or Motherwell then a) You're a fan of that club, b) you are learning your trade and you feel its too early, c) you have no ambition d) you are a jobbing manager happy to take a wage without pressure. If a manager doesn't want to work at one of the worlds biggest clubs then they were never good enough in the first place and I wouldn't want them at the club.

It's one thing being a supporter and another being a football manager considering their due diligence wrt to a future job.

More especially, expectation levels relative to financial backing.

There will be no shortage of willing candidates, but it's about getting a decent manager who isn't desperate for a job because he can't get one that pays as much, elsewhere.

My uneducated  thoughts on today - from kick off we were nowhere. 

Celtic did not beat us. We beat ourselves through mistakes.

We posed no problems .

We'd no shape.

As expected our own problems came right through the centre of our defence.

For next season - our manager is simply not good enough.

I'll leave it at that for now as I'm far too angry.

I know that we have bigger problems and worries, although what I am about to share may be symptomatic of some of those:

Here's a link to an ecstatic t*m cheering today's result, praising the IRA and talking of hunskelpers.   The reason I am drawing attention to it is because it is, apparently,  from one of our youth players - surely not?

https://twitter.com/jackross1872/status/985558526473981952

Edited by SteveC

1 hour ago, DevilBlue WeeThe said:

If we are as attractive a proposition as you are portraying why is it taking so long to appoint a manager of true quality? 

Wishful thinking isn't going the get us anywhere.

What are you talking about. Its Rangers of course its an attractive position to go for. If you don't think that it is then I've got no answer for you.

1 hour ago, buster. said:

It's one thing being a supporter and another being a football manager considering their due diligence wrt to a future job.

More especially, expectation levels relative to financial backing.

There will be no shortage of willing candidates, but it's about getting a decent manager who isn't desperate for a job because he can't get one that pays as much, elsewhere.

Any high profile club comes with expectation levels. If a manager cant deal with that then he's not a manager who can ply his trade with high profile clubs.

I accept your point with regards to financial backing. Let me just remind you one of our most successful managers left the club because of financial issues. Celtic were the dominant force domestically but when Wallace took over from Waddel in may/Jun 72 he won silverware in his first season. The very next year he won the league away to Hibs at the old Easter Rd (which was a midden by the way and my recount of that should probably go in Boabies thread). We hadn't won the league title in 11 years it also ended Celtics 9IAR era. He was financially constrained because we were rebuilding the stadium but it didn't stop him trying.

At no point did he concede that Celtic were better than us and lay down to them and by the way... over that period they had an excellent team. I dont accept Rangers are not attractive...

That's the difference! 

Edited by Big Jaws

I only watched the first 45 in fact after 5 minutes I could see we were not at the races you can call out for a new manager until the cows come home won't make any difference all our players are crap not one is up to the job but I won't stop there our board must also stand up and be counted if directors got awarded points out of ten like the players get in the match reports ours would get he haw after all they are the ones that make the appointments the whole place needs emptying out from top to bottom all of them sitting there with their fancy titles it's sickening season ticket renewals let them wait until they sanction the purchase of players fit to wear the strip .

39 minutes ago, Big Jaws said:

What are you talking about. Its Rangers of course its an attractive position to go for. If you don't think that it is then I've got no answer for you.

Any high profile club comes with expectation levels. If a manager cant deal with that then he's not a manager who can ply his trade with high profile clubs.

I accept your point with regards to financial backing. Let me just remind you one of our most successful managers left the club because of financial issues. Celtic were the dominant force domestically but when Wallace took over from Waddel in may/Jun 72 he won silverware in his first season. The very next year he won the league away to Hibs at the old Easter Rd (which was a midden by the way and my recount of that should probably go in Boabies thread). We hadn't won the league title in 11 years it also ended Celtics 9IAR era. He was financially constrained because we were rebuilding the stadium but it didn't stop him trying.

At no point did he concede that Celtic were better than us and lay down to them and by the way... over that period they had an excellent team. I dont accept Rangers are not attractive...

That's the difference! 

That Scottish Cup win in 1973 was 'my first trophy' as a young supporter, my first game attended was in early 1974 and it was 1975 when we won the League at Easter Road, I was there. 

I'm afraid there isn't a Jock Wallace out there these days. Nor would the old fashioned methods go down too well today. It's a shame because it's just what we could do with. Another difference is the quality of players he had at his disposal,...they'd just won a European trophy when he took over the main job. Lastly, the finances weren't really that much of an issue then, at least relative to today.

Today, European football beyond the summer is a challenge, far less continental trophies and we've recently climbed through the divisions. The board haven't made good managerial appointments and two disasterous summer transfer windows have us on the backfoot whilst Celtic are in the strongest financial state that I have known.

As far as being 'attractive' I'd agree but not all management candidates now in 2018 will agree....but aslong as we can find the right man that doesn't matter. What it might do is limit our choice.