Investment apparently being announced tomorrow

2 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

If ( and it’s still IF as far as I know ) does anyone seriously think Gerrard would take the Rangers managers  job unless he was promised a very significant transfer budget ??

Not a chance

4 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

If ( and it’s still IF as far as I know ) does anyone seriously think Gerrard would take the Rangers managers  job unless he was promised a very significant transfer budget ??

I think that would depend on how you would describe "Significant'.

3 hours ago, der Berliner said:

... since you think that getting Gerrard isn't showing enough leadership we can obviously stop it here and now. Methinks you owe me a short reasoning behind saying that getting Gerrard is nowhere near an appointment as Souness was.

What is always quite disappointing with these dissenters is that while giving their all in hurling abuse at the board et al, they hardly ever come up with reasoned or workable suggestions of what those who are clueless shall do or could have done better - given the circumstances at the time. 

And yet you Pom-Pom people give nothing by way of reasoning as to how the Board have shown much in the way of great leadership.  For every "you don't give workable suggestions" you ask for the reality is that this Board has made a number of mistakes (every Board will but ours seem to make more than their fair share).  If you wish to dispute that then feel free to tell me where I'm wrong.

I didn't say Gerrard was "nowhere near an appointment Souness was".  That's revisionism and just blatant lies.  What I DID say was that there were numerous reasons why they can't really be compared.  Souness came to us at a time when :

1.  We could significantly outspend Celtic.  Gerrard wouldn't be.

2. Souness was a player-manager who could provide on pitch leadership whilst still being able to play to a high standard himself.  Gerrard won't be playing.

3.  Souness came when English teams were banned from Europe which allowed us to obtain the English Captain and their international keeper.  Gerrard won't be signing either of the

ose.

4.  Souness came when Celtic, strangely enough even though they were in the ascendency, were being run by a fairly inept Board.  Their current Board sadly seems to be anything but inept.

Enough of an explanation for you ?  I'm sure that there are more too.

The funny thing is that I am not anti-Board or anti-King and can see the good they have done.  But I won't just give them a free ride when they have clearly made mistakes.  It's called being objective.

I would say on the pitch anyway that we have wasted two seasons. Infact from the moment we beat Celtic in that semi final we have slowely but surely got worse depsite bringing in a better quality of player. 

Main problem for me is we are still relying too heavily on players to perform who were basically signed to win us the Scottish Championship. 

Whole squad needs ripped up and start again!

6 hours ago, craig said:

And yet you Pom-Pom people give nothing by way of reasoning as to how the Board have shown much in the way of great leadership.  For every "you don't give workable suggestions" you ask for the reality is that this Board has made a number of mistakes (every Board will but ours seem to make more than their fair share).  If you wish to dispute that then feel free to tell me where I'm wrong.

I didn't say Gerrard was "nowhere near an appointment Souness was".  That's revisionism and just blatant lies.  What I DID say was that there were numerous reasons why they can't really be compared.  Souness came to us at a time when :

1.  We could significantly outspend Celtic.  Gerrard wouldn't be.

2. Souness was a player-manager who could provide on pitch leadership whilst still being able to play to a high standard himself.  Gerrard won't be playing.

3.  Souness came when English teams were banned from Europe which allowed us to obtain the English Captain and their international keeper.  Gerrard won't be signing either of the

ose.

4.  Souness came when Celtic, strangely enough even though they were in the ascendency, were being run by a fairly inept Board.  Their current Board sadly seems to be anything but inept.

Enough of an explanation for you ?  I'm sure that there are more too.

The funny thing is that I am not anti-Board or anti-King and can see the good they have done.  But I won't just give them a free ride when they have clearly made mistakes.  It's called being objective.

"That's revisionism and just blatant lies." ... now you throw earnest stuff about like confetti. Maybe I "misquoted" you, my dear friend and fellow Bear.

As for the rest, I was expecting any reason why Gerrard the person was not of a calibre of Souness the person. Will ask more precisely next time around.

Regarding the Board, I specifically asked what they should have done at the time instead of what they did. And perhaps we refrain from picking cherries like "throwing money after Pena's old club". We sit neatly here and telling the Board what garbage they have picked with PC and Pena and whatnot, or not substituting Murty with someone better. Yeah, that's all  fine and well, based on hindsight. Too bad the Board has no crystal balls to see how plans work out in 6 months time. I reckon they deemed it a good choice with PC last summer. I also assume that there wasn't a reasonable candidate about in January bar McInnes, and most likely not for lack of trying (though since we don't know, they are all sitting ducks for the dissenters). And for all the FLAK now aimed at Murty and Co. after the last three OF games, go back to the eve before the Ibrox game and check the sentiments there and then.

Quite a few people like their Black & White scenarios when reality hardly is like that. The Ibrox game killed our season, it seems clear that Murty did lose the dressing room and the players just trotted along ever after. They, much like Murty have to shoulder the blame after that ... and you'd earn serious coin if you or anyone else had the ability to forecast that at the end of January. They there will obviously some know-alls claiming exactly that.

18 hours ago, der Berliner said:

They were, all along, 20 to 30m ahead of us, had build a settled squad and have the authorities behind them. As I said before, you can alway try to blame everything on yourself, or us, but that's essentially excluding a few things of reality too.

We’re behind Aberdeen and equal on points with Hibs. That’s the reality. Now is not the time for excuses.

13 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

As for the rest, I was expecting any reason why Gerrard the person was not of a calibre of Souness the person. Will ask more precisely next time around. 

Just to butt in on this specific.

Souness is a very different character to Gerrard.

Souness had a known charisma to Scottish football and the type of personality that simply took over Scottish football and had all and sundry eating out of his hand. 

If appointed, Gerrard might find it difficult to get off the back foot given what will come his way and he doesn't have the force of personality or direct knowledge of the situation up here to be able to change that himself. It'll be down to results and the 'stardust' flak jacket will only give him a small window.

There's no doubt that the board has made a few errors of judgement in selecting the manager, but I have to admit that if I was on the board I think I'd have made some of those same mistakes.  It's difficult to pick a manager, and in fact it is the most difficult decision to take because it can't be reversed easily so quickly.  I like the fact that they've selected a manager (with the very best of motives and expectation) and then backed him each time.  I'm assuming we all agree with that.

The problem they have is that whoever they choose as our manager, there will be a large proportion of the fan base that will be unhappy.  I'd be happy to prove that if anyone on here wants to submit a list of potential names.  The simple fact is that no matter who becomes our manager, they have a thankless task.  We want to win the league and yet it's wholly unreasonable to expect that, yet.

It is however perfectly reasonable to expect us to finish comfortably in second place and therein lies the issue with Murty.  In December, the board selected its preferred manager but this approach failed before they got anywhere. That's just life and football, but they decided to hold off until the summer to ensure that the correct man was appointed.  I think it was completely reasonable too for the board to expect us to finish second given the quality singings we made in January.  To be fair to the board and Murty, it looked a certainty as we were playing some brilliant football and scoring at will in our games at the start of the year.  In fact, I particularly enjoyed the prospect of us having a title challenge.  Indeed, we were a fine margin away from that in our game against Celtic at Ibrox.  I still can't believe we lost that game.

However, not only did we lose that game, but something happened.  I don't know what, but something changed and the team has not kicked a ball since.  It's clear that the skill is there, because we were all over teams (including Celtic) at our freeflowing best.  We seem to however lack a mentality, or a resilience to deal with setbacks.  That's what Murty appears to be unable to deal with.  It may have had something to do with the rumoured unrest in the dressing room as a result of LW and KM, but that's just speculation, albeit somewhat substantiated.

The simple fact is that this team has shown that it can be good enough.  The fact is that the team is fragile.  The fact is that we have significantly closed the gap on Celtic and really are not that far behind them.  We need a manager who is a winner.  That's now the next step in our development.  I don't really know who we will bring in next, but whoever it is has to drive a belief in these players.  If he identifies players who don't really believe, or are fragile, he needs to move them on quickly.  Playing for Rangers (or them for that matter) is tough.  It's far easier for these same guys to play for Aberdeen or Hibs because the expectations are much lower.  I'm sure many will accept that the weight of expectation can destroy some players and we've seen that this season.

We need a winner as a manager, a good transfer window (to move on our mentally weak players), and an influx of 2 or 3 quality players and leaders on the park.  That should be enough to create some distance between us and the rest of the pack.  Then we can start to look ahead of us and tackle Celtic.  We are not as far away as many on here would suggest, but unless we bring in the right manager with the right mentality we will never unlock the potential this squad clearly has.