Investment apparently being announced tomorrow

41 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

I'll answer from my perspective ....

What's acceptable from the board?  :  they make a selection of manager and then back him.  However, I do expect there to be a greater level of scrutiny given to risky signings (such as Barton or Pena).  It's Allen's job to work with the manager on signings, however I'd expect a board to challenge where appropriate.  Equally, I'd expect the board to be working on a succession or backup plan in case this next managerial appointment is a failure.

How exactly do you see that working???  The Board are the business side of the club - they deal with balance sheets, investment etc.  How are they better placed to make a judgement on a players suitability than the Manager or DoF???

20 minutes ago, Darthter said:

How exactly do you see that working???  The Board are the business side of the club - they deal with balance sheets, investment etc.  How are they better placed to make a judgement on a players suitability than the Manager or DoF???

You are correct, but it's their job to assess the risks.  If that's was me, I'd ask 3 simple questions.  What difference can we expect by bringing in this player?  What are you going to do to help mitigate the risk of [his alcohol abuse] (or whatever the issue is)?  And what will we do if this doesn't work out?  I think it's perfectly reasonable to ask these questions as a board.  If a manager can't articulate the difference a particular player makes, he's not a manager.

Edited by Gaffer

2 hours ago, buster. said:

Just to butt in on this specific.

Souness is a very different character to Gerrard.

Souness had a known charisma to Scottish football and the type of personality that simply took over Scottish football and had all and sundry eating out of his hand. 

If appointed, Gerrard might find it difficult to get off the back foot given what will come his way and he doesn't have the force of personality or direct knowledge of the situation up here to be able to change that himself. It'll be down to results and the 'stardust' flak jacket will only give him a small window.

What I see in Gerrard is a character renowned throughout the football world. That may attract players we would else not be able to get. Perhaps not top-notch people, but far above the quality a Steve Clarke or the like may get. Players may not look up to him as an experienced coach, but I reckon he will get help from experienced personal next to him, be that McAllister or someone else. We sure won't have the same draw as Souness had during the days of the English clubs' exile, but money aside, what are the chances of silverware or European football in England? Many will scoff at that, seeing the pound notes of the EPL dangling in front of them. But you would hope quite a few will be attracted by the above and try to write something different into their CVs. That said, I do assume that should he sign on, it will be a stabilizing job at first, getting experienced heads who are not mugged by half-decent Scottish Premiership material. And should we actually get into Europe, people should be prepared that disaster may again strike early, given the amount of time NOT there to prepare the squad for tricky trips to Kazakhstan or the like.

Likewise, while the media will look for any stumble with extra glee, I doubt the likes of Sutton or Boyd will mouth off after him like they were able to do with MW, PC and Murty. Even McLaughlin will think twice before crossing a man of his standing. The chaps down in England might not be amused.

3 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

What I see in Gerrard is a character renowned throughout the football world. That may attract players we would else not be able to get. Perhaps not top-notch people, but far above the quality a Steve Clarke or the like may get. Players may not look up to him as an experienced coach, but I reckon he will get help from experienced personal next to him, be that McAllister or someone else. We sure won't have the same draw as Souness had during the days of the English clubs' exile, but money aside, what are the chances of silverware or European football in England? Many will scoff at that, seeing the pound notes of the EPL dangling in front of them. But you would hope quite a few will be attracted by the above and try to write something different into their CVs. That said, I do assume that should he sign on, it will be a stabilizing job at first, getting experienced heads who are not mugged by half-decent Scottish Premiership material. And should we actually get into Europe, people should be prepared that disaster may again strike early, given the amount of time NOT there to prepare the squad for tricky trips to Kazakhstan or the like.

Likewise, while the media will look for any stumble with extra glee, I doubt the likes of Sutton or Boyd will mouth off after him like they were able to do with MW, PC and Murty. Even McLaughlin will think twice before crossing a man of his standing. The chaps down in England might not be amused.

It's fair enough to look at the positives of a potential Gerrard appointent but I'd rather have the proven track record of coaching and improving players/team that a Clarke has. However, tbf, going on about Clarke is pointless in itself.

If Gerrard is to join then we have to get behind him and be prepared to exercise more patience than is the norm.

Celtic moaned all the way through their European embarassment about how they didn't have the finance to compete and the pundits played along as they embarrassed Scotland again with thrashing after thrashing.

The fact is Celtic's total revenue last season was about 16% of Bayern's and 18% of PSGs.

Our revenue last season was about 17.7% of Celtic's.

It's all about the money. Significant investment for next season would be great, but we need a sustainable solution. We need a run in Europe next season badly.

24 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

You are correct, but it's their job to assess the risks.  If that's was me, I'd ask 3 simple questions.  What difference can we expect by bringing in this player?  What are you going to do to help mitigate the risk of [his alcohol abuse] (or whatever the issue is)?  And what will we do if this doesn't work out?  I think it's perfectly reasonable to ask these questions as a board.  If a manager can't articulate the difference a particular player makes, he's not a manager.

How do you know that those questions haven't been asked & answered accordingly???  

It's up to the manager/DoF to justify ANY player acquisition to the Board....they are the ones who are holding the purse-strings.  Hindsight would tell us that the Board have been happy with the justifications & therefore signed off on the purchases.  What we don't know is how many were knocked back???