Investment apparently being announced tomorrow

Just now, DMAA said:

It's all about the money. Significant investment for next season would be great, but we need a sustainable solution. We need a run in Europe next season badly.

While investment is vitally important, without a good solid foundation I would bet the majority of cash will get wasted.  We have already brought in players who should be strolling the SPFL, yet are toiling to do the basics.

Get a solid foundation in place - consistent & reliable.....they you can use the investment properly.

9 minutes ago, Darthter said:

While investment is vitally important, without a good solid foundation I would bet the majority of cash will get wasted.  We have already brought in players who should be strolling the SPFL, yet are toiling to do the basics.

Get a solid foundation in place - consistent & reliable.....they you can use the investment properly.

Exactly. In terms of generating revenue we need a run in Europe but a big part of generating revenue going forward needs to be selling players. The investment for that needs to be in scouting and the club claim that has been done so we'll see. But we need to be picking up highly rated teenagers from all over the world every season, developing them and selling them on.

Edited by DMAA

3 hours ago, der Berliner said:

"That's revisionism and just blatant lies." ... now you throw earnest stuff about like confetti. Maybe I "misquoted" you, my dear friend and fellow Bear.

As for the rest, I was expecting any reason why Gerrard the person was not of a calibre of Souness the person. Will ask more precisely next time around.

Regarding the Board, I specifically asked what they should have done at the time instead of what they did. And perhaps we refrain from picking cherries like "throwing money after Pena's old club". We sit neatly here and telling the Board what garbage they have picked with PC and Pena and whatnot, or not substituting Murty with someone better. Yeah, that's all  fine and well, based on hindsight. Too bad the Board has no crystal balls to see how plans work out in 6 months time. I reckon they deemed it a good choice with PC last summer. I also assume that there wasn't a reasonable candidate about in January bar McInnes, and most likely not for lack of trying (though since we don't know, they are all sitting ducks for the dissenters). And for all the FLAK now aimed at Murty and Co. after the last three OF games, go back to the eve before the Ibrox game and check the sentiments there and then.

Quite a few people like their Black & White scenarios when reality hardly is like that. The Ibrox game killed our season, it seems clear that Murty did lose the dressing room and the players just trotted along ever after. They, much like Murty have to shoulder the blame after that ... and you'd earn serious coin if you or anyone else had the ability to forecast that at the end of January. They there will obviously some know-alls claiming exactly that.

Sorry dB but it WAS lies.  Am I not to call you out when you are being more than just a little economic with the truth, just because we are both Bears ?  Likewise, I would expect you to do the same of me.

Maybe I should apologise up front for the next one, but there is no way, IMHO, that your original request to compare Souness and Gerrard was about "the person".  And even if so, what is to be gained by it ?  It is YOU who likes to defend our playing staff and management personnel by stating that we cant look at them in isolation because of how far ahead Celtic are.  And yet now.... strangely enough.... you are looking to do EXACTLY that - you are looking to isolate Souness the person and Gerrard the person.  You can't have it both ways.  Gerrard will be coming to us with a very different situation to that which Souness did.  So you cant compare them in isolation because, as you like to point out, there are not just 11 players on the pitch and Celtic spent 4 million on one player which was as much as we spent on more than half a squad.

I hope you aren't suggesting I'm a "black and white" person because I'm not.  If you think that then you are merely seeing what you want to see.  As I've said, I have been supportive of the Board and have seen the number of good things they have done in the last 3 years.  However, sitting back and complacently hoping that they will get  things right, whilst it is as much as we can do, is NOT holding them accountable.  And look what has happened with our previous couple of custodians with regards to not holding them accountable.....  "fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me".  We have more than enough recent history to tell us that not holding them accountable could lead us down a treacherous path.

1 hour ago, Gaffer said:

In my opinion that's unreasonable.  We can't control what Celtic do.  Their team should beat our team each time we play at the moment  so there's no way we can demand a cup win, or win over them.  We had that win when MW was in charge but it meant, and means very little.  Progress in our team is all that matters.

Just my opinion mate. I think we need to beat them. We need to brake this run if we are gonna move forward. 

Same for a cup, not saying we have to beat them en roue to a final but they ain’t gonna keep winning trebles. 

Edited by MrGaryValentine

1 minute ago, MrGaryValentine said:

Just my opinion mate. I think we need to beat them. 

Same for a cup, not saying we have to beat them en roue to a final but they ain’t gonna keep winning trebles. 

While beating them is not imperative....it is important to the fans & also as a show that we are getting better.

27 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Exactly. In terms of generating revenue we need a run in Europe but a big part of generating revenue going forward needs to be selling players. The investment for that needs to be in scouting and the club claim that has been done so we'll see. But we need to be picking up highly rated teenagers from all over the world every season, developing them and selling them on.

Rossiter and Dodoo were two such supposed examples.  Rossiter, if he could have actually stayed fit, could very well have been a multi-million pound player for us given he was the England U19 captain and highly thought of at Liverpool, as well as being chased, apparently, by some other EPL clubs.  Dodoo should have been given more of a chance IMO.  Did OK when called upon but far from the finished article - but a youngster will be inconsistent, they need minutes to gain the consistency to turn them into solid sellable assets.

If generating revenue by selling players is part of our business model then we made a big mistake by not cashing in on Morelos.

2 hours ago, Darthter said:

How do you know that those questions haven't been asked & answered accordingly???  

It's up to the manager/DoF to justify ANY player acquisition to the Board....they are the ones who are holding the purse-strings.  Hindsight would tell us that the Board have been happy with the justifications & therefore signed off on the purchases.  What we don't know is how many were knocked back???

I didn't say they haven't been asked.  I just said what I would expect to happen.  They are smart business men so I'd expect them to ask these questions of any situation, football related or otherwise.

58 minutes ago, Bill said:

How did the announcement go? How much are we getting?

On the basis that today is yesterday's tomorrow, I made enquiries:

"I'm sure I'll take you with pleasure!" the Queen said. "Two pence a week, and jam every other day."
Alice couldn't help laughing, as she said, "I don't want you to hire me – and I don't care for jam."
"It's very good jam," said the Queen.
"Well, I don't want any to-day, at any rate."
"You couldn't have it if you did want it," the Queen said. "The rule is, jam to-morrow and jam yesterday – but never jam to-day."
"It must come sometimes to 'jam to-day'," Alice objected.
"No, it can't," said the Queen. "It's jam every other day: to-day isn't any other day, you know."
"I don't understand you," said Alice. "It's dreadfully confusing!"

Edited by Uilleam