The Spring & Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

6 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I think Andre Gray is out of our league. 

He's 27, @MacK1950

I could cry when I read this.  He's at Watford afterall!!!  However the reason I could cry is because you're right.  We can't compete with the money they can offer.  He's quite similar in style to Morelos (without the high risk) and I think he'd be a standout player up here.  We just have to hope that for some players the prospect of trophies and legendary status (when we get 55) is more appealing than the money.

48 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

However the reason I could cry is because you're right.  We can't compete with the money they can offer

We can’t conpete with the league they play in either. Don’t forget ambitious players like Gray want to be playing in the best league in the world. I’d be amazed if he didn’t have a chance to do that. 

6 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Gray, Balde links and Hastie signing updated.

I thought that line was an advert for hair products for a second.

#HastySolutions

Am I the only one who is far from impressed with the targets/acquired players so far. Jordan Jones and Jake Hastie are bang-average SPFL players who will not improve our first 11, and are not any better than the current options in the squad. 

Having watched both closely when we have played them in 2019, Jones is just another O'Halloran, only effective on the counter attack which is something we dont get to do very often. He will be a total waste of a wage IMO. Hastie looks young, raw and miles away from being a good player for us for 19-20 season. He had the luxury of being up against our weakest left back, and didnt impress at Fir Park, having2 excellent chances and couldnt even hit the target with either. No better than any of our young fringe players IMO and I hope we loan him out somewhere either at Scot Prem or Eng league 1 to educate him.

Greg Stewart is a very poor player IMO, and I am hoping we miss out on this one. I dont see where he fits into our current playing formation, and we have better options in this area than this for what will be sizeable wages.

Yes, I know we have cash restrictions, but I dont see the point in bringing in players that are no better than current options. We must improve our first 11, bring in a left back, a good centre half, an attacking midfielder, and a striker who can play in our system and score goals, and replace any players who leave that are first team regulars (Morelos, Tav etc). We have wasted so much cash on squad players who dont contribute, we have a fantastic set of youth players, use them when the first 11 gets injuries/suspensions.

51 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Am I the only one who is far from impressed with the targets/acquired players so far. Jordan Jones and Jake Hastie are bang-average SPFL players who will not improve our first 11, and are not any better than the current options in the squad. 

Having watched both closely when we have played them in 2019, Jones is just another O'Halloran, only effective on the counter attack which is something we dont get to do very often. He will be a total waste of a wage IMO. Hastie looks young, raw and miles away from being a good player for us for 19-20 season. He had the luxury of being up against our weakest left back, and didnt impress at Fir Park, having2 excellent chances and couldnt even hit the target with either. No better than any of our young fringe players IMO and I hope we loan him out somewhere either at Scot Prem or Eng league 1 to educate him.

Greg Stewart is a very poor player IMO, and I am hoping we miss out on this one. I dont see where he fits into our current playing formation, and we have better options in this area than this for what will be sizeable wages.

Yes, I know we have cash restrictions, but I dont see the point in bringing in players that are no better than current options. We must improve our first 11, bring in a left back, a good centre half, an attacking midfielder, and a striker who can play in our system and score goals, and replace any players who leave that are first team regulars (Morelos, Tav etc). We have wasted so much cash on squad players who dont contribute, we have a fantastic set of youth players, use them when the first 11 gets injuries/suspensions.

Not sure how you can say we have "wasted so much cash on squad players" - these guys are clearly coming in to replace others who will be leaving, it will more than likely be a 1-for-1 swap of wages - and none of them have come in on any transfer fee.

I am pretty sure the majority of us would have said "bang average SPFL player" about Kamara as well, but look how that seems to be turning out already....

The other thing to remember is that these players are available right now on Bosmans - that doesn't mean there is an expectation they will be our "improve the starting XI" players - I doubt they will.  I suspect that our "marquee" summer signings won't be happening until later in the summer - for one I suspect Morelos will go - which will free up a ton of money to reinvest - but we can't reinvest it until he actually goes.

Hastie has potential as does Jones - by far from the finished article in both instances but, if they were, we would have no chance of getting them.

We have a long summer ahead so no need to worry just yet my friend :thup:

The season isn't even done

25 minutes ago, craig said:

I am pretty sure the majority of us would have said "bang average SPFL player" about Kamara as well, but look how that seems to be turning out already..

Well said Craig and you only have to look at Kent,came as a "raw" loanee and fought hard for a place which he now holds on merit.As for loaning players out look at Docherty and Rudden,although different levels both have been voted player of the year at their respective clubs.

With SG having a full pre-season albeit shortened due to European qualification he will have time to assess the current squad/new signings/returning loanees etc. so no sense in writing off or criticising till this is done.

I think we've made clever signings.

Stewart, Jones and Hastie are widely considered to be among the best talents in the league, outside the Old FIrm. It makes sense to hoover-up the best talent in the league to fill out our squad. 

I also think they fit straight into the wide-forward positions that are absolutely vital in our 4-3-3. It's a position we're light in, with only Candeias, Kent, Murphy and Middleton 'natural' wide-forwards. Kent is unlikely to be here next season, and Middleton is not quite suited, as he's more of an out-and-out winger. Arfield has been playing there recently, and, I think, has done a wonderful job and should start in that position from now on.

Are they going to improve the starting XI? Difficult to say. Maybe. Jones is maybe a better creator than what we have, and Stewart is maybe a better goal-threat than what we have in those positions. 

We still need acquisitions of quality in key positions that will improve our starting XI.  

7 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

Greg Stewart is the interesting signing for me. Seems to be a spectacular success or total flop wherever he’s played. Nothing in between.

Dunno, his stats are satisfactory, given that he was not always used as a striker ...

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/greg-stewart/leistungsdatenverein/spieler/156775

... and he was most successfull when used as a striker;

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/greg-stewart/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/156775