[FT] Hearts 1 - 0 Rangers

33 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

It pains me to say this but I have serious doubts we are going to win anything with SG and this side. If this wasn't SG he would have been gone way before now. He is a great guy and his team have let him down but I am also struggling to see him winning anything as a Rangers manager. If he stays I hope I am wrong?

Having seen how Hearts, with some success, played the last time we met it should have been clear that they were likely to adopt similar tactics; press our defence/midfield and be aggressive.  We needed to circumvent this by spreading our play rather than trying to play short passes in a confined space which made it easy for Hearts to apply pressure.  This was most notable at throw-ins where we were always shut down and there was a lack of of movement by our players into space.  Unfortunately, this was compounded by our most 'in your face' players , Jack and Arfield, having to go off leaving us with too many players who were not up for the fight.  In the midfield we should have been looking for some control and creativity coming from Davis but sadly he was well off-form.  Finally, looking at our bench it was not obvious that there were any possible substitutions that would have made a major difference and that is very depressing.

Although, the cause of the defeat lies mainly with the players, SG and all his backroom staff need to share some of the blame for not working out how to counter what were the likely tactics to be employed by Hearts.  SG and his staff have to work out how to deal with this because it will be no surprise if some of our future opponents don't also take this approach when we play them.

1 hour ago, cooponthewing said:

It pains me to say this but I have serious doubts we are going to win anything with SG and this side. If this wasn't SG he would have been gone way before now. He is a great guy and his team have let him down but I am also struggling to see him winning anything as a Rangers manager. If he stays I hope I am wrong?

Don’t you think Gerrard has taken us forward from what he inherited 20 months ago?

I think he has but from last nights interviews I think he will try & move on two or three first team regulars over the summer. The likes of Tavernier & maybe Goldson 

We need a quality midfield moaning bastard a la Barry Ferguson , a player that can motivate his team mates and lift their heads up when things are not going so well.

Had a feeling that there would be a price to pay for the Braga win ,as that's just out it tends to work out for us ,we play out of our skin, then instead of building on a great result , we massively underperform .

Give us a top flight Portugese team and we'll dispose of them, but give us the worst team in our division, and we'll make them look like  Barcelona,..seems like we don't like being favourites.

Based on that , I was delighted that we drew Bayer Leverkusen, because i'm more than confident that we'll dispose of them too, it's any lesser team left in the quarter finals that will be the problem.

I have a problem when we start saying, ' we need to get rid of X, Y and Z first team players', and almost hoping you get someone better.

That's not the way you improve, IMO. 

We should be retaining these first team players, and then replacing the poorer squad players with better quality first-team players. So, it's like a conveyor belt: for example, Polster gets sold, Tavernier goes from being a first team player to a squad player, and then we sign someone better than Tavernier for the first-choice RB.

You don't get rid of the first team players and leave the dross squad players behind. 

3 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I have a problem when we start saying, ' we need to get rid of X, Y and Z first team players', and almost hoping you get someone better.

That's not the way you improve, IMO. 

We should be retaining these first team players, and then replacing the poorer squad players with better quality first-team players. So, it's like a conveyor belt: for example, Polster gets sold, Tavernier goes from being a first team player to a squad player, and then we sign someone better than Tavernier for the first-choice RB.

You don't get rid of the first team players and leave the dross squad players behind. 

Getting rid off ‘poorer squad players’ is never easy because they’ll be on wages at Rangers they won’t get anywhere else.