[FT] Rangers 2 (Tavernier 6pen; Dessers 15) - 1 Servette

Lots of positives to take from last night imo

first half, moved the ball well, created some great chances, and should really have been a few more up.  Bit of rustiness, some wrong choices and a glaring miss meant we didn’t increase our lead in the first half.

second half was a bit more of a struggle, but it was always going to be when they went down to 10.  I’ve seen a lot of folk get really angry about us not simply cutting them open, but sometimes it isn’t that easy.  Remember we drew with UFa while playing with 9 men for about 25 mins away from home.  If you are organised, you can pickup the slack from being that man down,

after that first half showing, I’m feeling more confident.  Yes there is more to come from the team, but if they continue to get used to each other, you can see the movement and space they were trying  to create, especially in that first half.

Jack was excellent last night, and Cantwell deserved his MotM.  Also best I’ve see Borna for a while, but we see that on occasion, and then he’s back to his usual self!

46 minutes ago, compo said:

Dressers Lammers and Sima aren’t any better than the lad we let go Sakala. Who I think would have had a field day last night and what was the point of introducing Hagi at such a late stage .

I loved Sakala, but they quite clearly are.  I’ll maybe give you Sima, at the moment they seem very similar, and I would have kept Sakala over what I’ve seen from him, but the glimpses from Lammers show he’s a cut above Sakala

Dessers is a completely different striker.  More of a target man, but he’s also not up to full fitness.  His positioning  is getting better, but still would like to see him be a bit stronger in the final third.  I can forgive the mis placed passes etc as that shows improve as the team get to know each other more, as they play more games.

9 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

Unless we get better in the final third we will continue to struggle. Forwards need to make runs into the box ahead of the delivery from wide areas not stand expect the ball to drop at their feet in front of goal. 
Can’t help feeling we’d have been better getting a naturally wide player instead of Sima. Disappointing again when he came on tonight. 

My feeling too. A Kent, a Wright, a Sakala - Sima not a replacement for them.

10 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

I think that we lost focus after going two up

Correct. The team goes two up and for a couple of minutes think they’ve got the game and they’re going to win it. Some players suddenly think from past experience that they might not. Their doubt breeds indecision and that spreads to the rest and you’re right, they lose focus.

51 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

My feeling too. A Kent, a Wright, a Sakala - Sima not a replacement for them.

We were in for Luis Palma were we not? He is an out and out winger. 

I think it's way too early to judge Sima. In the last two games he's played against teams that have sat in and given us very little space. I think we will hopefully see the benefit of him in a more open game with more space. 

15 minutes ago, weebluedevil said:

However, maybe it's time we should play with wingers and two defensive fullbacks or find two better attacking-fullbacks. Tav has a great free kick in him (occasionally) and the odd cross, but he's getting slower and is not good enough defensively. Borna showed that he still has a decent cross in him when he's playing high but again absolutely useless defensively (he'll take plaudits for last night but truth is he wasn't pressed much or tested defensively). 

I'd love to see us play with wingers. 

We'd need a new manager to do that, though - which I'd similarly love to see. :D